Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

2012 Panamera - heated steering wheel issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 02:25 AM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts
Default 2012 Panamera - heated steering wheel issues

I have. 2012 Turbo S with headed carbon multifunction wheels.

1) Wheel barely gets warm. Granted it’s 70 out but on every other car I’ve had a heated wheel, it will get fairly warm. I can’t really tell it’s working at all. Only the very lowest part of the wheel has any hint of a temperature change at all and it’s not much .

2) It will often turn itself off 10 seconds after activation and read “ heated wheel deactivated”. I can turn it back on but 10 seconds it’s back off. if it doesn’t immediately turn off it will stay on for three minutes or so and then turn off but still is not very noticeably warmer than the ambient temperature .

3) Often after activation it says that it’s on but then the wheel shuts off and or does not get warm. there is no deactivation notice that comes up on screen . Then the switch is then dead and I can no longer turn it off or on without restarting the car.

My questions are has anyone else had similar issues and how hot does the steering wheel get? Last question Does the heated future only activate at certain temperatures or does how hot it gets depend on the temperature?
Old 08-12-2018, 05:05 AM
Addbuyer
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I’ve not got this feature on my Turbo S but a previous car fitted with a heated steering wheel was temperature dependant. It would only work with the heating on and worked well that way but then again it was obviously cold so any temp was most welcome
Old 08-13-2018, 10:13 AM
ciaka
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 43 Posts

Panamera has a button on the back side of lower 'spoke' of multifunction steering wheel. You can push button to turn on heating once the car is on.
Many previous cars had temperature threshold before the heating element would turn on automatically. That threshold was 50˚F.
So at 70˚F, it may be difficult to tell how well the wheel is working.

However you state that it turns off after few minutes or sometimes just seconds. That is tricky.
There is a mesh inside the wheel, which gets heated to give your hands warmth. That mesh is connected to electrical circuitry of car via a connector on back side of steering wheel.
To get to the connection, the airbag has go be removed and the wheel too.

Try your battery voltage, to see if battery is weak. Battery on way down wont provide current needed to keep the heating going. Check out this post.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:30 AM
NJS_04_996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paul Rathjen
I have. 2012 Turbo S with headed carbon multifunction wheels.

1) Wheel barely gets warm. Granted it’s 70 out but on every other car I’ve had a heated wheel, it will get fairly warm. I can’t really tell it’s working at all. Only the very lowest part of the wheel has any hint of a temperature change at all and it’s not much .

2) It will often turn itself off 10 seconds after activation and read “ heated wheel deactivated”. I can turn it back on but 10 seconds it’s back off. if it doesn’t immediately turn off it will stay on for three minutes or so and then turn off but still is not very noticeably warmer than the ambient temperature .

3) Often after activation it says that it’s on but then the wheel shuts off and or does not get warm. there is no deactivation notice that comes up on screen . Then the switch is then dead and I can no longer turn it off or on without restarting the car.

My questions are has anyone else had similar issues and how hot does the steering wheel get? Last question Does the heated future only activate at certain temperatures or does how hot it gets depend on the temperature?
Tested mine the other day under warm cabin conditions....the display will acknowledge when the button is pushed (heated wheel on, off) , but there was no discernible heating occurring after several minutes. Did not see the deactivated behaviour you had seen, however.
Old 08-25-2018, 01:37 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

I've since tested mine - the shutting off seems to be periodic. I tried it yesterday and it didn't go off on its own, but didn't get very hot. It sounds like the wheel may warm up relative to the outside temperature. I guess we will see this winter!
Old 08-30-2018, 10:58 AM
ciaka
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 43 Posts

I know Porsche activates steering wheel function relative to outside temp. Yes, will be a good idea to test this when ambient temp is below 50˚F.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:10 AM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Well I say I've confirmed an issue.

It was under 40 last night. The steering wheel heat function goes on for 10 seconds and shuts off then won't turn back on until restarting the car. Then the same thing...on for 10 seconds and shuts itself off by the indicator in the LED screen.

Frustrating.

Quick Reply: 2012 Panamera - heated steering wheel issues