Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

New color (Dolomite Silver) and 2+1 comes to regular Panamera plus advice sought!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 02:37 PM
ssiminou
Banned

Received 106 Likes on 70 Posts

I just realized that you downloaded the 3D config. So in 3D mode (at least for me), the little preview window shows a weird, distorted image of the car. When I click the two arrows, it takes time, but it opens into a full screen mode. There are numerous controls along the bottom; play with them and you’ll be amazed by how detailed the tool is. It shows you everything, from deviated stitching, deviated paints, the thermal glass, and even where the surround view camera button on the interior is.

It’s a fun tool that’ll definitely get you the best computerized image of your car. Also play around with switching from GT Silver, to Rhodium, to Dolomite and see the differences between them. I also took a screen shot of three colors and put it into a RGB identifier so I could compare their shades and composition.

I probably sound crazy with all the work I’m putting in to get an accurate representation, but as this is my first time ever ordering a car, I want to be meticulous and understand the reasons/functions behind the options I’m selecting. (Porsche is the best mainstream brand for customization, IMO).
Old 05-09-2018, 04:46 PM
Will Tell
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ssiminou
I just realized that you downloaded the 3D config. So in 3D mode (at least for me), the little preview window shows a weird, distorted image of the car. When I click the two arrows, it takes time, but it opens into a full screen mode. There are numerous controls along the bottom; play with them and you’ll be amazed by how detailed the tool is. It shows you everything, from deviated stitching, deviated paints, the thermal glass, and even where the surround view camera button on the interior is.

It’s a fun tool that’ll definitely get you the best computerized image of your car. Also play around with switching from GT Silver, to Rhodium, to Dolomite and see the differences between them. I also took a screen shot of three colors and put it into a RGB identifier so I could compare their shades and composition.

I probably sound crazy with all the work I’m putting in to get an accurate representation, but as this is my first time ever ordering a car, I want to be meticulous and understand the reasons/functions behind the options I’m selecting. (Porsche is the best mainstream brand for customization, IMO).
No overload... this is fantastic. Thank you a million times over for explaining it. Haven't yet tried--still at work. Can't wait to, though! Unless something really goes awry I think you suggestion will be the perfect compromise. And I'm with you--while I've ordered cars before, NOTHING like this. In many respects this is a coming-together of a lot of things: I have the money (RIP, Dad), I love cars, I'm 53 (possible mid-life crisis?), and this may well be the last chance of buying a car like this with an ICE. So--I want to get it right, too!

Will post results! And thanks, again!
-WT
Old 05-09-2018, 05:07 PM
lbcgolf
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Ok, I've got popcorn at the ready when Will Tell orders up the GT Silver ($3k), deviated seat inserts w/ deviated stitching ($7k), red seat belts and painted tach and clock, then tries to explain that his Germanic roots made him do it.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:34 PM
Will Tell
Rennlist Member

Talking

Originally Posted by lbcgolf
Ok, I've got popcorn at the ready when Will Tell orders up the GT Silver ($3k), deviated seat inserts w/ deviated stitching ($7k), red seat belts and painted tach and clock, then tries to explain that his Germanic roots made him do it.
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Crazy, isn't it! NO, no GT silver. No stitching. But red inserts...check. Red belts...check. Red tach....check. Red chrono...check. And you eat that popcorn! My Germanic roots are actually Swiss (ergo, Will Tell!). I love RED!!!! It's in my flag! Seriously!
Old 05-09-2018, 05:37 PM
Will Tell
Rennlist Member

And BTW, just done it. It's awesome! Thank you again for the advice. My heart was seriously racing as it all came together. Re the alcantera--I'm ordering the Turbo so that's one thing that's included. Will post build later.
-WT
Old 05-09-2018, 05:49 PM
ssiminou
Banned

I’m so glad to help. My order is for a Hybrid Executive, but with the same money, I could get a CPO Turbo. Since I’m not in a rush, I’ll just stick with my order, enjoy the tax credit, better fuel economy, and in my mind, helping to save a little part of the environment for 31 miles/day.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:13 PM
Will Tell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lbcgolf
Oh no... I just did the 3D with the deviated stitching... It's friggin' incredible. I know, go ahead and laugh.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:26 PM
ssiminou
Banned

Deviated Stitching is super nice. I’m surprised it costs 5k though. I would’ve thought that the seat centers should cost more than some red thread, but once again, the Porsche options ‘pricer’ is laughing at the people that even order all of this stuff.

Will, you’re at that point in the option choosing where I believe it’s time to just say “Screw it” and order whatever you want. If I had the ability to do whatever with no budget, I’d do Sport Design Pack painted with gloss black, full black leather, Alcántara, Deviated Stitching and Centers, Red Belts, Red Clock, Red Tach, Carbon full pack inside, Sport Exhaust System w/ Black Tips, Painted Mirrors, Painted Side Trim, Painted Window Trim in Black, PRSE, PDCC, Rear Axle Steering, Premium Pack Plus, 18-Way Seats, Ventilated Seats Front & Rear, Massaging Seats all around, Crests, Sunblinds in Rear, Ionizer, Full Ambient Lighting, ***Floor Mats in Black with Red Leather Double-Stitched Edging***, Voice Control (no cost), Storage Pack, Smoking Pack, Tinted Taillights, Front Lights in Black, Full Assistance Pack, Badge Delete, PORSCHE in Black, Thermal & Noise Insulated Glass, and Surround View Cameras.

I think all of that stuff adds up to $80k, but a man can dream...
Old 05-09-2018, 06:29 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Porsche has a bigger profit margin than its competitors. You shouldn't get SC. The wood trim is out of place, and the deviated red seats look tacky.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:18 PM
ssiminou
Banned

Originally Posted by Will Tell
Oh no... I just did the 3D with the deviated stitching... It's friggin' incredible. I know, go ahead and laugh.
WT, I think you should also add the Personalized Floor Mats that I bolded in my 'dream spec.' In the comments section for the option under 'Summary,' write that you want Bordeaux Red accent edging, lining, and stitching.

Basically, it'll allow the carpet to be in the regular black that comes with the black leather interior, but it adds a thicker, now double-stitched, edging of leather in Bordeaux red. Since it's the first thing you see when you open the door, I think it'd look really nice. (Search google for a few pics of the option and you'll see what it looks like). It costs $650 for all four mats (you can get the rear mat too with the same edging for $350. And if you're in a good mood, for an additional $170 (so $820), the carpets in the interior become deep-pile like Bentleys/Rolls Royces.

So far today:
You've added deviated centers ($2070), red belts ($660), red tach and clock ($840), and hopefully the carpets ($820) for a total of $4390 in extras. However, since leather is standard in Turbos, it minimizes the total cost over my car. Totally worth it
Old 05-09-2018, 10:07 PM
Aviaros21
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You beat me to it! I think I’m on build 126, even though we already have a new panamera
noticed the 4 + 1 option this week. Shame on you Porsche, $1000!
I thought they would’ve waited for 2019 MY but guess not.
Best of luck with choosing your specs!
Old 05-10-2018, 08:32 AM
535XIT
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just feel like they are out to screw you , $1,000 for a seat that can not cost more than the original.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:06 AM
Will Tell
Rennlist Member

Wink

Deviated Stitching is super nice. I’m surprised it costs 5k though. I would’ve thought that the seat centers should cost more than some red thread, but once again, the Porsche options ‘pricer’ is laughing at the people that even order all of this stuff.

Will, you’re at that point in the option choosing where I believe it’s time to just say “Screw it” and order whatever you want. If I had the ability to do whatever with no budget, I’d do Sport Design Pack painted with gloss black, full black leather, Alcántara, Deviated Stitching and Centers, Red Belts, Red Clock, Red Tach, Carbon full pack inside, Sport Exhaust System w/ Black Tips, Painted Mirrors, Painted Side Trim, Painted Window Trim in Black, PRSE, PDCC, Rear Axle Steering, Premium Pack Plus, 18-Way Seats, Ventilated Seats Front & Rear, Massaging Seats all around, Crests, Sunblinds in Rear, Ionizer, Full Ambient Lighting, ***Floor Mats in Black with Red Leather Double-Stitched Edging***, Voice Control (no cost), Storage Pack, Smoking Pack, Tinted Taillights, Front Lights in Black, Full Assistance Pack, Badge Delete, PORSCHE in Black, Thermal & Noise Insulated Glass, and Surround View Cameras.

I think all of that stuff adds up to $80k, but a man can dream...
Hello Friends,

I would have written yesterday evening but I found myself huddled in the corner of my home office, lights out except for the glow from the computer with the 3D rendering of my new interior slowly turning, mocking me. Red inserts, red deviated stitching, red belts, red chrono, red tach... I felt like Gollum, crouched on all fours, pleading... "Precioussssssss..." What has happened to me? How do I stop? When I started this process I was only ever going to get a 4S in a standard silver with whatever interior was standard. I remember walking into the showroom, looking the salesman squarely in the eye and telling him that I would buy the car very well equipped but would not be wasting money on "all that frippery." I'm now in at about $175... (Hang on... just reaching for the paper bag... Breathe... breathe... breathe... OK, I'm back...). At 11:00 or so last night the wife came looking for me. She said I was no different to those nouveau Eastern Euros (no offense meant) in the South of France who need to plaster themselves in tacky branded clothing. "But it's really cool, Sweatheart" I pleaded. "Sure, if the all Bordeaux is a whorehouse's drawing room, the black and red is the Madame's boudoir!" Ouch! I didn't dare tell her I'd also added the ambient lighting package. To be continued...
Old 05-10-2018, 12:05 PM
ssiminou
Banned

Talking

Hello Friends,

I would have written yesterday evening but I found myself huddled in the corner of my home office, lights out except for the glow from the computer with the 3D rendering of my new interior slowly turning, mocking me. Red inserts, red deviated stitching, red belts, red chrono, red tach... I felt like Gollum, crouched on all fours, pleading... "Precioussssssss..." What has happened to me? How do I stop? When I started this process I was only ever going to get a 4S in a standard silver with whatever interior was standard. I remember walking into the showroom, looking the salesman squarely in the eye and telling him that I would buy the car very well equipped but would not be wasting money on "all that frippery." I'm now in at about $175... (Hang on... just reaching for the paper bag... Breathe... breathe... breathe... OK, I'm back...). At 11:00 or so last night the wife came looking for me. She said I was no different to those nouveau Eastern Euros (no offense meant) in the South of France who need to plaster themselves in tacky branded clothing. "But it's really cool, Sweatheart" I pleaded. "Sure, if the all Bordeaux is a whorehouse's drawing room, the black and red is the Madame's boudoir!" Ouch! I didn't dare tell her I'd also added the ambient lighting package. To be continued...

The goal is to give her an option (just something in the car) you know she’d like/use a lot and hope that she’s distracted enough to not see the fact that you spent 5k just on some red bits and fancy carpet.

I selected wood for my wife so she wouldn’t notice the 5k in painted exterior bits. She also thinks ambient lighting is standard...
Old 05-10-2018, 12:58 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Hello Friends,

I also bought some extras that I really didn't need but wanted. Unfortunately when/if you sell or trade the car in you won't realize much if any additional benefit vs. the standard configuration for the value of the car. That said, since we are spending this much money and Porsche is estimating the value at 55% after three years (based on their residual assumption) what the heck does it matter. Get what makes you happy!!

Quick Reply: New color (Dolomite Silver) and 2+1 comes to regular Panamera plus advice sought!