Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

New color (Dolomite Silver) and 2+1 comes to regular Panamera plus advice sought!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 01:01 PM
Will Tell
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New color (Dolomite Silver) and 2+1 comes to regular Panamera plus advice sought!

Hi Friends,
Deep in the weeds trying to buy a PP Turbo. Have all but given up trying to find a dealer's lot car. I'm just not into bling--paying for it, anyway--must be my practical Germanic roots. So no special rims, blacked out trim, carbon fiber door sills, etc. OK, I might order the Bordeaux Red interior. When I told my wife I thought she was gonna punch me: "You're not getting bordello red!" Putting it that way makes it even more desirable, IMO. Is that weird?

Anyway, as I was building my, I dunno, 147th car, I noticed 2 things: A new color, Dolomite Silver (free on the Turbo build) AND, the 2+1 rear seat option ($1,000) from the P Sport Turismo. That seat option is the kicker I needed to order a build. It just adds a tiny bit of flexibility. Not that I want my mother or my father-in-law or my sister-in-law to come within ten feet of the car, but if I have to... my 7 year old can ride in the middle.

As for the Dolomite Silver, has anyone seen it or know how to get a sample? I'm deciding between that and the Rhodium and don't want to have to choose from what I see on the screen.

And what are your thoughts on Bordeaux (or bordello) Red? Hate? Love? Is it good for resale? Bad?

And does anyone have any insight into the allocation game. Assuming I agree on price with my dealer, how does allocation work. Are there any key buzzwords I need to be on the look out for? Should I be totally selfish and go to another dealer as well to see if their wait is shorter?

Cheers,
WT
Old 05-02-2018, 02:59 PM
dudecs
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

With regards to the allocation, my opinion is that you should verify their allocation before discussing price. It is meaningless to have a great deal but the dealer does not have an allocation for your desired time frame. If the dealer is honest, they should have proof of their upcoming allocation and estimated build date for a desired vehicle. Call or shop multiple dealers in your area and inquire their allocation and color samples in the showroom.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:03 PM
Will Tell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dudecs
With regards to the allocation, my opinion is that you should verify their allocation before discussing price. It is meaningless to have a great deal but the dealer does not have an allocation for your desired time frame. If the dealer is honest, they should have proof of their upcoming allocation and estimated build date for a desired vehicle. Call or shop multiple dealers in your area and inquire their allocation and color samples in the showroom.
Good advice. Thank you!
WT
Old 05-02-2018, 05:51 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can request a frog sample. I don't like the red interior. Don't buy for resale, but what you like. You should buy from you local non-stealer. Why not get the ST?
Old 05-02-2018, 06:09 PM
lbcgolf
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Will Tell
Should I be totally selfish and go to another dealer as well to see if their wait is shorter?
Yes! I did. God knows I'd still be waiting if I hadn't.

Bordello red, haha! Not my cup of tea, exterior or interior... and I'd say I tip the scale about half way between bling and boring. I'm bummed I never got to see a pic or a live car with the Dolomite Silver before my order locked. I don't mind so much paying for the $3k "special color..." if it looks good. It's nice for the car to be a "little special" where you don't see many like yours out on the road. I've had my Carmine Red Cayenne Diesel for almost 5 years, and I've probably seen no more than a half-dozen other cars like mine. I've seen some super nice looking PTS Pannys, but I don't think I can bring myself to ever drop $10k, though if I ever found myself in fantasyland and was able to get a GT3 with Touring Package and a manual for MSRP, I'd probably opt for a nice historical Porsche color and pay the $7k PTS.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:31 PM
Will Tell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Andial
You can request a frog sample. I don't like the red interior. Don't buy for resale, but what you like. You should buy from you local non-stealer. Why not get the ST?
Good point re the interior. Will not get the ST as this is my first P-car and the regular sedan is the 911's kindred spirit, looks-wise anyway. I know, that's not much of an excuse especially since I'd be taking a long hard look at the RS6 Avant if it were available here. All that to say if I didn't have kids and a real need for the 4-doors I'd be getting a 911 for sure. The regular ST, while a fabulous and ever so slightly more practical car, is not a must-have. Now that the 2+1 seat is now available in the sedan the argument for the practicality of the ST is further weakened.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:39 PM
Will Tell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lbcgolf
Yes! I did. God knows I'd still be waiting if I hadn't.

Bordello red, haha! Not my cup of tea, exterior or interior... and I'd say I tip the scale about half way between bling and boring. I'm bummed I never got to see a pic or a live car with the Dolomite Silver before my order locked. I don't mind so much paying for the $3k "special color..." if it looks good. It's nice for the car to be a "little special" where you don't see many like yours out on the road. I've had my Carmine Red Cayenne Diesel for almost 5 years, and I've probably seen no more than a half-dozen other cars like mine. I've seen some super nice looking PTS Pannys, but I don't think I can bring myself to ever drop $10k, though if I ever found myself in fantasyland and was able to get a GT3 with Touring Package and a manual for MSRP, I'd probably opt for a nice historical Porsche color and pay the $7k PTS.
I agree with much of what you say. And if I were getting a 911 instead of the more "practical" Panny, I'd probably do a nod to history, too. Maybe even that historical green. But the germanic side of me pushes me towards the (mostly) practical. I like silver and it's the best at hiding dirt and imperfections. I'm also 52 with younger kids. I'll be doing the school run quite a bit. The object itself is jewel enough. Can you imagine if I dropped off the little effers off in the Carmine Red with red rims, or even just totally blacked out? And if I want to have fun one day I can always wrap it in gold!
Old 05-03-2018, 05:54 AM
lbcgolf
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm 53. My boy is 6 and the daughter is 2. Preaching to the choir, brother! The red Cayenne is indeed their school bus. I occasionally go pick them up in my C2S Cabrio. They both love it! My ST E-H on order is a chalk with black SportDesign wheels, so we'll see how that goes at the kiddie pickup line, lol. But what says "I'm a responsible adult and a member of the PTA" more than a station wagon?!
Old 05-03-2018, 10:16 AM
Will Tell
Rennlist Member

Smile

Originally Posted by lbcgolf
I'm 53. My boy is 6 and the daughter is 2. Preaching to the choir, brother! The red Cayenne is indeed their school bus. I occasionally go pick them up in my C2S Cabrio. They both love it! My ST E-H on order is a chalk with black SportDesign wheels, so we'll see how that goes at the kiddie pickup line, lol. But what says "I'm a responsible adult and a member of the PTA" more than a station wagon?!
Your reply just put a massive smile on my face! I really am have a chuckle as I write this! Bravo!
Old 05-03-2018, 10:18 AM
Will Tell
Rennlist Member

BTW, Andial, what is a "Frog" sample?
Old 05-03-2018, 09:52 PM
Andial
Banned

Good point re the interior. Will not get the ST as this is my first P-car and the regular sedan is the 911's kindred spirit, looks-wise anyway. I know, that's not much of an excuse especially since I'd be taking a long hard look at the RS6 Avant if it were available here. All that to say if I didn't have kids and a real need for the 4-doors I'd be getting a 911 for sure. The regular ST, while a fabulous and ever so slightly more practical car, is not a must-have. Now that the 2+1 seat is now available in the sedan the argument for the practicality of the ST is further weakened.
Couldn't find the Porsche one but this is what McLaren does.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...25481423151094
The ST has a lower load floor. You should check out Doug DeMuro's new comparison YouTube video. The sedan has the advantage of having the more unique rear wing, and I like the four seat configuration more too.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:51 PM
Will Tell
Rennlist Member

Couldn't find the Porsche one but this is what McLaren does.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...25481423151094
The ST has a lower load floor. You should check out Doug DeMuro's new comparison YouTube video. The sedan has the advantage of having the more unique rear wing, and I like the four seat configuration more too.
Wow. OK, I'll call Porsche to see if they have anything. Watched Doug DeMuro's comparison per your advice. He really is good. But it won't sway me. I really like the look of the sedan and don't need the extra space as I have an GL450. And since I'm ordering the Turbo version, it'll be fun to have the Iron Man Wing.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:49 PM
Andial
Banned

Wow. OK, I'll call Porsche to see if they have anything. Watched Doug DeMuro's comparison per your advice. He really is good. But it won't sway me. I really like the look of the sedan and don't need the extra space as I have an GL450. And since I'm ordering the Turbo version, it'll be fun to have the Iron Man Wing.
The paint samples might only be for Exclusive builds. On the GT forum someone posted their visit to Zuffenhausen w/ the paint samples in the drawers. Atlanta might have some too.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:05 PM
535XIT
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 plus one

I see that for $1,000 you can get the same seat in the regular pan. Might be the way to go. Still can’t believe that they want to charge you an additional $1000!
Old 05-07-2018, 08:35 PM
Will Tell
Rennlist Member

The paint samples might only be for Exclusive builds. On the GT forum someone posted their visit to Zuffenhausen w/ the paint samples in the drawers. Atlanta might have some too.
I called Porsche Corporate in Atlanta re the Dolomite. Super helpful; they called all the Exclusives in my area. No one has it. No samples, nothing. But PC in Germany emailed her photos of chips which she sent to me. Tough to know what to do as I really don't want to spend the extra 3K on the GT Silver yet it's a little cray to blind order the color on a 170K car.

Dolomite Silver1

Dolomite Silver2

Quick Reply: New color (Dolomite Silver) and 2+1 comes to regular Panamera plus advice sought!