When charging went wrong

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 04:41 AM
Toga958
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When charging went wrong

brand new car.
but the real cause is under investigation. But it was under charging over night.
I am curious if the fire started from wall socket, can it really spreaded to the car via cable ?
or was it started from the car it self and spreaded to the house.
I hope to hear Porsche report on this.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:42 AM
Toga958
AutoX

Old 03-16-2018, 04:45 AM
Toga958
AutoX

All photos and info. I got was from newspaper web site.
But it stopped me from waiting for new Cayenne Hybrid. I better stay with my Diesel Cayenne.
I hope Porsche will come and make a detail investigation on this. I wanted to know where the fire actually started.
Local Porsche dealer said it was from the wall socket, but I doubt that.
toga
Old 03-17-2018, 12:12 AM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You shouldn't stay with your diesel Cayenne because it is environmentally unfriendly. Where is this? Looks like a third world country that doesn't know how to deal with Porsches. Probably the electrician's fault.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:54 AM
hme
Intermediate

Here is the link to the original article.
https://www.phuketgazette.net/news/p...battery-charge
Old 03-17-2018, 06:08 AM
Toga958
AutoX

Topic opened with intentionfor technical discussion.

Please do not discuss it in an insulting way toward Anything.

Battery fire is dangerous and it happened with some Samsung phones or even A Dreamliner B787 before.
they fixed the problems and go on.

Last edited by Toga958; 03-17-2018 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:41 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't be put off the E-Hybrid just because of a straw man argument. Battery fire is no more dangerous than wood fire. You aren't a mod and no one is being insulting toward Anything.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:12 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

Looks like a new-gen (2017 or 2018) Panamera E-Hybrid from the front view.
I would worry about the electrical wiring in any home in Thailand.

More details here: https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gen...while-charging
Old 03-17-2018, 05:16 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ervin Wu
Don't be put off the E-Hybrid just because of a straw man argument. Battery fire is no more dangerous than wood fire. You aren't a mod and no one is being insulting toward Anything.
That's 100% incorrect. A lithium battery fire is waay more dangerous than a log thats on fire. A log thats on fire isn't going to explode.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:43 AM
Toga958
AutoX

May I asked again. Please do not insulting.
We are a poor country. But actually Bangkok is modern enough and we have more supercars than many many cities US or Canada.
. We have engineering standard and building codes. Dont forget Boeing B787 have been grounded before due to poor design of battery system.

what I am really worried here is that manufacturure and medias and those who dont really know what really happened to that car and house
point the finger to the owner or sub standard home electrical wiring. Actually if the fire started from the battery bay, you really cannot blame
anything else. The charging system have many line of defense against harmful condition. The poor AC condition at the input side of Porsche Universal Charger will never cause battery to be damaged, overheated or exploded. If the house wiring was poor, the AC side connections was poor.or under rated,
then the fire would started there and never spreaded thru the charger cable to the car.

My point is that for accident like this, to prevent it from happening again, we must not try to find one single blame. It is a system. When all defense
failed altogether accident like this happened. I do really hope Porsche will investigate this case as a whole system rather than blaming to the owner.
if you are interest in what I am talking about, please wiki or google “ swiss cheese theory “ , only when many failures combined together that accident
occured. Yes Li battery fire is very dangerous and cant be put off easily, thats the first hole. Does the charger provide sufficient protection , the second hole,
, the poor house wiring bad connections as the others, and lack of product knowledge such as huge power draw from charger may be othe hole in the cheese.
From the news, fire started from the car with explosion sound waking up the owner. Car was badly damaged inside, and very likely to be
where fire i itiated.

only Swiss Cheese Theory will help prevent it from happening again. We have to block as many holes as possible.

Quick Reply: When charging went wrong