Panamera 2010-Current

fuel / engine additives

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 08:53 AM
freeflap
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel / engine additives

Does anyone do this to their panameras? From the forums, I am doing the techron before oil changes. But when i was getting the recall done, my local porsche dealer ( porsche bethesda maryland ) was selling zmax?
it was being sold at the cashier, next to the 29 dollar key chains and porsche logo hats... I was surprised to see this since there are some conflicting reviews. Plus it seems you can add this to the engine oil, gas tank, and transmission fluid???
I am somewhat skeptical but when endorsed by the dealer, maybe there is some good there? anyone else's local porsche dealer sell this at the cashier counter?
Old 03-11-2018, 09:25 AM
knowspin
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Wow, I am shocked that a Porsche dealer would actually sell this crap.

Use a premium gasoline (Shell is the best), full synthetic oil (Mobil 1 0W-20), leave the transmission to be serviced by a qualified tech, and your car will run better than adding any after market junk.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:27 AM
cerbomark
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

0-40W on that oil...
Old 03-11-2018, 09:31 AM
freeflap
Intermediate

Originally Posted by knowspin
Wow, I am shocked that a Porsche dealer would actually sell this crap.

Use a premium gasoline (Shell is the best), full synthetic oil (Mobil 1 0W-20), leave the transmission to be serviced by a qualified tech, and your car will run better than adding any after market junk.
I thought porsche recommended 0w40 or 5w40? i am doing full syn change at 5k miles on all my cars. I also have 2 bmw and can't believe it has a service interval of 10k miles? maybe if you drive in a straight line at 50mph with no stop and go you might get safely to 10k miles.

i read both positive and negative reviews on this stuff. I will call porsche bethesda tomorrow to see why they recommend it, or if porsche has some proof that it helps their cars.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:36 AM
cerbomark
Racer

I think he had a typo as it is 5-40 or 0-40w. It is my opinion after decades of performance cars that these newer cars can easily go 10K on synthetic oils. Plus at 9 quarts it stays cleaner longer too.
Anyone that I ve read that has tested their used oil always says it was still up to par at time of change.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:42 AM
freeflap
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cerbomark
I think he had a typo as it is 5-40 or 0-40w. It is my opinion after decades of performance cars that these newer cars can easily go 10K on synthetic oils. Plus at 9 quarts it stays cleaner longer too.
Anyone that I ve read that has tested their used oil always says it was still up to par at time of change.
i think that the 9 quart is likely the best answer. My wife's bmw x5 has a six quart change, and when i change at 5k miles, it is dark black. chemically, it might be fine, but looking at it, it just looks very dirty. BMW used to recommend 15k service but had problems with engine failures with such a long interval.
i wonder if the chemical additives are helpful in such cases? if the additives help sick cars, it would seem effective. if you car is clean, it would have NO effect, like giving antibiotics to someone who doesn't have an infection. No effect good or bad?
Old 03-11-2018, 09:56 AM
cerbomark
Racer

On the note about the oil looking dark; the correct way to look at it is to put it on your fingers and spread it around, you will see it pretty clear looking again, FYI.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:02 AM
knowspin
Racer

Oooops, 0W-20 is the recommended oil for my wife's 2018 Panamera 4. I'm sure it's different in the higher performance models. 330 hp is more than sufficient power for my wife.

BTW, while we're on the topic, does anyone know the oil capacity of the V6 3.0 engine? I couldn't find it anywhere in the manual. It's like Porsche doesn't want you to do your own oil changes.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:22 PM
cerbomark
Racer

Originally Posted by knowspin
Oooops, 0W-20 is the recommended oil for my wife's 2018 Panamera 4. I'm sure it's different in the higher performance models. 330 hp is more than sufficient power for my wife.

BTW, while we're on the topic, does anyone know the oil capacity of the V6 3.0 engine? I couldn't find it anywhere in the manual. It's like Porsche doesn't want you to do your own oil changes.
So 2018 is a re design so not sure what they use. My 2015 v6 3.0 engine uses 9 quarts of 0-40W (5-40W). Maybe the 18 has the same engine? I have done two oil changes myself. Not sure what would be different to drop to 0-20w? Sounds like the same engine at 330HP.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:50 AM
knowspin
Racer

I guess they must have made some changes to the engine to lower the viscosity. In the manual I see the 4S uses 0 or 5W-30 and the turbo uses 0 or 5W-40. I would guess the capacity is the same. Thanks for that info, although I won't have to worry about it for a while as the first annual service is free.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:33 PM
Pana TJ
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is a link to the website for the manual for the 2017 Panamera, page 287 gives oil recommendations and capacities. Not sure how much if anything would change for 2018.

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...287/Engine-Oil
Old 03-13-2018, 01:14 PM
knowspin
Racer

Originally Posted by Pana TJ
Here is a link to the website for the manual for the 2017 Panamera, page 287 gives oil recommendations and capacities. Not sure how much if anything would change for 2018.

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...287/Engine-Oil
Thanks! That technical data starts on page 294 in the 2018 paper manual. Here's the funny thing, in the section titled "Filling Quantities" they only list fuel tank, windshield washer, refrigerant and AC compressor. They omitted the oil capacity and the oil specification that is listed in the online 2017 manual. The oil specification is in another part of the paper manual, but there is no info on capacity.

Since the specs for the 2017 engine appear to be identical to the 2018 engine, I would assume that 8.35 qts. would apply. I'll confirm this with a Porsche tech at some point. So 8 qts. would be good since the last thing you'd want to do is overfill this engine.

Quick Reply: fuel / engine additives