Panamera 2010-Current

First week with the Turbo wagon

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 05:15 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts
Default First week with the Turbo wagon

Now that I have had a few weeks of living with the new beast, here are my first impressions:

- Handling is just sublime. Until you look in the rearview mirror and realize that there is a lot of wheelbase back there its hard to believe that it it not a much smaller car. Love the steering; great braking on the standard steels.
-Power: Not the most powerful version, but the twin turbo ( non-hybrid) is a honey of a V8 with more than enough power for anything I can possible use it for. It will be exercised properly in Germany in August /September and of course I will try a bit of tracking which should be interesting in such a long car
- Quietness. I have the thermal and sound insulated glass which makes for a very quiet car. Downside is that its infrared proof apart from a couple of small patches for toll readers. You're SOL if you have a key fob for the office; nor will the standard door opener work on buildings with multiple entrants.
-Comfort. I have had the 18 way optional seats in other cars and they remain some of the best in the business. Both heated and cooled and infinitely adjustable
-Airiness. The panorama roof makes the cabin a light and pleasant place to be
-Clean interior design. I deleted all wood so just used the CF package which is quite discreet
-Small steering wheel. Always find older Porsches could do with a smaller, thicker wheel
-Air suspension is superb and shocks can be set to various levels of firmness

DISLIKES:

PCM registration is ridiculously complex and even the dealers have difficulty.

- Upload your driver licence pic and other ID:. Well, can't use your iPhone because the can only accept low-res images
- two step process with different services at each step.

_ Now I can remotely fold the mirrors from my iPhone. I never knew I needed this brilliant feature.

-PCM voice control is not too good at understanding me, though Siri on my iPhone X has no problem.

- impossibly complex heating system

- less than intuitive haptic buttons though they work well enough , and most of the time I have preset. Lots of opportunity for fingerprints though, so I keep a small optical cloth in the pocket.

-With all of this technology why can't Porsche do something useful like a really good HUD like the brilliant displays on current BMWs?? THIS is something I can use.

OK ITEMS:]
-
Standard Bose sound system is good enough, not amazing, but I was not willing to shell out the usurious amount of money for the Burmeister.

Seems to have an 80 litre tank; would prefer the 90 litre like on my RS as its not that way on fuel. Minor quibble.

The car is currently on its winter rims and tires (20") rather than the summer 21"s, and I do expect handling to take a further advance on porformance tires.

A few Pics:

Rear is debadged and Porsche logo blacked out

https://thumbsnap.com/7hmL6gIC

Not everyone prefers it to the regular car but I prefer the look:
https://thumbsnap.com/SY8wznzr

Luggage capacity is ok, but slope of roof means I can't carry my Great Dane so Cayenne stays:
https://thumbsnap.com/0Jggupns

https://thumbsnap.com/igoAOLoU

Very clear dash:
https://thumbsnap.com/Q6gHkj5N[/url

https://thumbsnap.com/NyzS0ne2

Super comfortable seats
https://thumbsnap.com/1gfZqhlq

Panorama roof good:
https://thumbsnap.com/ALZyu3lW

Summer wheels are bigger:
https://thumbsnap.com/ngZerxya
Old 02-24-2018, 08:46 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

sweet ride and nice write up, Congrats
Old 02-25-2018, 07:59 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Thanks! Overall it has much exceeded my expectations
Old 02-25-2018, 12:05 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What happened to the 997 GT3 RS if the plates are on this car? Is the Cayenne yours as well? You don't street park it, do you?
Old 02-25-2018, 02:57 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Ervin:

I have all of the Ring plates:

7.1 Viper RS is GRÜNHLLE
991 RS is NRBRGRNG
Pana is NRDSCHLF

I have a few corner plates as well for future additions. Nope, I do not street park the Pana.

Cayenne is CAYENINE because I use it to haul the Great Dane.-which will not fir in the Pana.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:46 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronan
Ervin:

I have all of the Ring plates:

7.1 Viper RS is GRÜNHLLE
991 RS is NRBRGRNG
Pana is NRDSCHLF

I have a few corner plates as well for future additions. Nope, I do not street park the Pana.

Cayenne is CAYENINE because I use it to haul the Great Dane.-which will not fir in the Pana.
Cool!
Old 02-26-2018, 03:56 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Trending Topics

Old 02-27-2018, 04:15 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great final pic - love the red/black contrast.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:34 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

If I had the option I would have had the badges in black too, especially on the wheels, but they wouldn't do it. With all the chrome deleted they stand out a bit.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:41 PM
lexhair
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

The ST is stunning and while I'm very impressed with it, I'm more impressed with the "usurious" description of the Burmester. Much better than my "stupid expensive" description.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:47 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

I think it depends on whats important to you as a buyer.

For me , since this is primarily a road car, there seems to be little benefit in things like ceramic brakes. It will spend 95% of its life on North American roads apart from a trip or two to Europe so the standard brakes are fine. I do not really listen the radio much apart from functional traffic stuff, so a luxury sound system is not worth it to me. I have eyesight, so can live without Night Vision Assist and all of the advance cruise control stuff for instance. I did put most of the performance stuff on the car and wanted a clear interior finish,

I recognize completely that this is just my personal bias . For many others there many be great value on these options. For me, not.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:19 PM
RacnJasn
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow! Great stable of P cars. Porsche’s look amazing from above. Pana wagon is such a gangster sled, congratulations Don Ronan. Link to video of one I drooled over at Lauzon.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6s3fkxixx6...%20AM.mov?dl=0
Old 03-11-2018, 06:18 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 561 Posts

Excellent write up. Looks great! Thanks.

How did you black out the P O R S C H E on the rear - or did you replace the letters? We have chrome and it's the only bright finish on our volcano Panamera which is also debadged. Hubby likes the chrome but I think it'll look a million times better in black. I keep threatening to plastidip the letters....

Any electronic gremlins?

In 5000 miles (so far) on the Panamera it has a LONG list of gremlins to be addressed. Weird stuff like the trunk not closing all the way (stopping half way or a few inches before closed). Or the diamond programmable button forgetting the setting that has been programmed multiple times. Today the seat heater engaged on the back of the seat only. It got quite hot and I never pressed any buttons (internationally or accidentally). The list goes on.

We got the car shortly before heading south for the winter so we kept a list of gremlins and called the dealer a couple times, and now that we are home we've gotta bring it in and see if they can fix everything. Nothing is critical but it becomes annoying after awhile when little things don't work as they should.

Wishing you many miles of enjoyment in the best of health!
Old 03-11-2018, 09:28 PM
MDJAK
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautiful car. I just took delivery of a Panamera 4 with 14 way seats. I had 14 and 18 way seats on my Macans and felt the 18 way too confining. I have the 14 way now which I like. But when you say infinitely adjustable, aside from being able to blow up the bolsters on cushion and back, unless I’m mistaken, they have same adjustments as 14. What the seats in the Panamera seriously lack is adjustable headrest.

Unless I sit almost bolt upright, the headrest is dangerously far from the head in the event of a rear end hit which would result in severe whiplash.

I too too am interested in the blacked out letters. I purchased black letters for my Macans. These would be much easier to place correctly though.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:35 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Blacking out the trunk letters is on the options list. Once the car gets to the Ring, as with all my cars it will get a plain Nurburgring map where the model designation goes. Will see if dealer can figure out how to do or get black badges for the wheel centres.

Quick Reply: First week with the Turbo wagon