Panamera 2010-Current

Detailing / car care question

Old 03-09-2018, 12:01 AM
freeflap
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detailing / car care question

Hi all,
so am loving my new to me 2011 ptt. Have some detail questions. I routinely use a foam cannon and pressure wash all my cars. I use the meguires wash/ wax mix and the express wax detailer afterwards. What are you using? anyone go through the 9h Ceramic coating treatment? seems interesting but am concerned about the long term effects on the paint.
thx
Old 03-09-2018, 09:10 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

I do the following with all my Porsches:

Clear skin up to A pillars plus mirrors , rear flares and rear bumper.

Then ceramic coating on top of everything. After that it’s pretty much wash and wipe.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:58 PM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Have a look at detailing world, but be warned youll end up being hooked and spending loads.

I have Gtechniq Serum light ( 3 day event including decontamination even on a new car) , also had C1+Exo on my previous car.
I love detailing, but will always get a coating now, makes life so much easier.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:51 PM
freeflap
Intermediate

Originally Posted by K777
Have a look at detailing world, but be warned youll end up being hooked and spending loads.

I have Gtechniq Serum light ( 3 day event including decontamination even on a new car) , also had C1+Exo on my previous car.
I love detailing, but will always get a coating now, makes life so much easier.
do you still use any wax spray or with the ceramic you just wash it only?
Old 03-10-2018, 12:11 AM
knowspin
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

After washing you should use some type of detail spray. I like Car Pro Reload, but there are a number of goods ones out there.

Check out detailedimage.com, lots of good info in the Ask a Pro Blog and the Detailing Guide.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:23 AM
freeflap
Intermediate

what about the windshield? If I am driving and facing the sun, you can see little faint dots on the windshield, almost like fine dust. Every windshield gets this over time. I am guessing these are micro abrasions on the glass from sand dirt etc hitting the windshield at speed. Not sure if the gtechniq g4 / g2/g1 system will polish that out. I typically use rainx for the hydrophobic properties on all my cars, but am wanting to know if the gtechniq ceramic for glass is a better option?

Last question: leather care. what do you guys use ./ recommend for leather maintenance? thx
Old 03-11-2018, 09:44 AM
knowspin
Racer

If you want to protect your leather once it has been cleaned use CarPro Cquartz Leather Coating. I use it because it protects against UV rays as I have a leather dash and a leather rear shelf panel on one of my cars.

As for the glass I know there are glass polishers out there, but I don't have any experience with them.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:54 AM
freeflap
Intermediate

Originally Posted by knowspin
If you want to protect your leather once it has been cleaned use CarPro Cquartz Leather Coating. I use it because it protects against UV rays as I have a leather dash and a leather rear shelf panel on one of my cars.

As for the glass I know there are glass polishers out there, but I don't have any experience with them.
thx. yes, my dash is leather also so the uv would be helpful but i'm guessing that the windshield and windows already block most of the UV unless i drive with the sunroof and windows open. I'm pretty sure that's correct since i have a pair of transitions glasses that darken when exposed to UV light. When i'm driving in the daytime, they don't get dark inside the car, no matter how bright it is outside, hence, the car's glass already blocks most of the UV

what are you cleaning the leather with?

Last edited by freeflap; 03-11-2018 at 09:56 AM. Reason: more detailed answer
Old 03-11-2018, 10:09 AM
knowspin
Racer

I use Zaino Leather Cleaner.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:05 PM
freeflap
Intermediate

Originally Posted by knowspin
I use Zaino Leather Cleaner.
good to know. thx
Old 03-11-2018, 05:07 PM
freeflap
Intermediate

Glass care:
i use 0000 steel wool to polish the glass, then clean with invisible glass. Finally, i use rainx.
i am tempted to try the ceramic options.
on the inside, there is a gradual oily film that develops on the glass. I've had that on every car i own. Best was to remove the inside haze is to use denatured ethanol 100% strength on the glass. wipe with a microfiber.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:15 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by freeflap
do you still use any wax spray or with the ceramic you just wash it only?
You can just wash it and dry it.
But generally I use the Gtechniq detailing spray, or ExoV3 diluted.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Detailing / car care question