7.2kw onboard charger help

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 03:17 PM
PP4EH
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7.2kw onboard charger help

Hi guys
I’m sorry that I’m forced to open a new thread on this. But I really need an satisfactory and definite answer on this.
My dealer seems lost and so does the the Porsche center technicians.
and I’m supposed to lock the order at the end of March so I really need answers.

1. Do I need the 7.2kw on board charger in order to achieve the faster charging over three phase?
2. Or can I achieve the faster charging just by plugging the car into a 400v 32a socket ? With the standard charger

my dealer seems to think that the on board charger is just the normal charger built in. And has nothing to do with the charge time. That the only benefit is that’s you don’t have to carry your portable charger with you when charging in public stations.

when I read the Porsche material on this I seem to understand that you can’t even utilize the 3 phase on the standard charger. You need the onboard charger for this as the standard charger is 3.6kw only.

so when I presented this to the dealer and the tech guys they were surprised and then uncertain about their earlier claim.

so please anyone with first hand information meaning a Porsche rep or a 4e/turbo hybrid owner that has some FACTs.. please let me know.

last resort will be calling down to Germany
Old 02-26-2018, 05:35 PM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 191 Posts

I'm on my second new gen Panamera $e Hybrid..The first had the standard 3.6Kw charger and my current Sport Turismo hybrid has the optional 7.2Kw charger..On the standard 3.6Kw you have a much thinner cable on the charging box which connects to a wall socket compared to the 7.2Kw version..The deciding factor which limits the faster rate the car is capable of charging is the size of the on board charger..Quite simply the 7.2Kw is capable of charging the battery in exactly half the time of the standard 3.6.
The 7.2Kw on board charger doesn't require 3 phase but it does need a much stronger fuse in the wall socket..We attempted to charge the new car using the thicker cabled box supplied with the 7.2Kw charger and it promptly burnt out the wall socket..We also own a Cayenne e Hybrid with the 3.6Kw and we are temporarily using its charging box to charge both cars although the Panamera takes as long as the Cayenne. We've just built a new garage which we intend to install stronger 35a wall sockets to cope with the 7.2Kw charger.
To paraphrase if you want twice as fast charging all you need is a strong wall socket capable of supplying the 7.2Kw charger..But its the charger which limits the speed of charging not 3 phase.
The following users liked this post:
Onesunnybeach (01-11-2024)
Old 02-26-2018, 05:42 PM
PP4EH
Track Day

Thank you for the fast answer.

To get this straight

If i spec the 7,2kw charger i won't get the 3.6 with the car aswell?
In that case if i go to a friends home and plug it in and he doesent have a 35A fuse it will blow his fuses?
And if i don't spec the 7.2kw charger it doesent matter if i plug it into a 220V household plug or a 400V industrial plug it will still charge slowly ie in 5ish hours?
The only way to get it to charger around 2-3hours is to spec it with the 7.2kw onboard charger? and then see to it that you have high Amp fuses ? both at home and when you charge away from home?

Sorry for the contant bombardment of questions

Appreciate this
Old 02-26-2018, 06:25 PM
njpanamera
Track Day

Originally Posted by Taffy66
The 7.2Kw on board charger doesn't require 3 phase but it does need a much stronger fuse in the wall socket..We attempted to charge the new car using the thicker cabled box supplied with the 7.2Kw charger and it promptly burnt out the wall socket..We also own a Cayenne e Hybrid with the 3.6Kw and we are temporarily using its charging box to charge both cars although the Panamera takes as long as the Cayenne. We've just built a new garage which we intend to install stronger 35a wall sockets to cope with the 7.2Kw charger.
To paraphrase if you want twice as fast charging all you need is a strong wall socket capable of supplying the 7.2Kw charger..But its the charger which limits the speed of charging not 3 phase.
I'm confused. I have the 7.2Kw on board charger on mine. Does that mean I cannot plug it into a regular outlet when I'm traveling and expect it to slow charge overnight? Will it blow the socket?
Old 02-26-2018, 06:27 PM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PP4EH
Thank you for the fast answer.

To get this straight

If i spec the 7,2kw charger i won't get the 3.6 with the car aswell?
In that case if i go to a friends home and plug it in and he doesent have a 35A fuse it will blow his fuses?
And if i don't spec the 7.2kw charger it doesent matter if i plug it into a 220V household plug or a 400V industrial plug it will still charge slowly ie in 5ish hours?
The only way to get it to charger around 2-3hours is to spec it with the 7.2kw onboard charger? and then see to it that you have high Amp fuses ? both at home and when you charge away from home?

Sorry for the contant bombardment of questions

Appreciate this
Correct on all counts..To charge in half the time you absolutely need the 7.2 Kw on board charger and use the thicker cabled box supplied but make sure your socket can handle it..To reiterate i can still charge my Panamera with the standard wall socket but only by using the Universal charger supplied with my Cayenne.This however is no quicker than the Cayenne takes with its 3.6Kw charger.
You basically need all the pieces to solve the puzzle.
Onesunnybeach (01-10-2024)
Old 02-26-2018, 06:46 PM
PP4EH
Track Day

Alright so a final ser of questions then.

if i have the standard 3.6 charger and plus it into a Household 220v 10a socket vs a 400v 16a socket does that lower my charge time?

also can i at a later stage buy a universal or Porsche 7.2kw charger ?

and what is the onboard part of all this as opposed to the standard is it off board ? What’s the real life benefits of that ?
Old 02-26-2018, 07:27 PM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PP4EH
Alright so a final ser of questions then.

if i have the standard 3.6 charger and plus it into a Household 220v 10a socket vs a 400v 16a socket does that lower my charge time?

also can i at a later stage buy a universal or Porsche 7.2kw charger ?

and what is the onboard part of all this as opposed to the standard is it off board ? What’s the real life benefits of that ?
I'm no expert just speaking from my experience..The 7.2 charger is fitted in the car i take and cannot be retro fitted as far as i am aware. The Universal charging boxes are identical in appearance between the two apart the 7.2 one has a much thicker cable..The 3.6 just means it s limit is set at 3.6Kw in one hour and there is no way of surpassing this..I only found out after burning the socket and by experimenting i used the Universal charger supplied with my 3.6 Cayenne.
I understand what you're asking and i don't understand the complexities and correlation between the on board charger and the mobile Universal charger..I'm assuming they're two separate items but perhaps not..I'm now just as confused as you are..
Onesunnybeach (01-10-2024)
Old 02-27-2018, 04:22 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The onboard 7.2kw is not something you see (it's "under the hood") - it gives the car the capacity to charge at the faster rate if the car is plugged into a socket that supports higher current. At home I have the wall box but that is only plugged into 240v because it was going to cost circa £2k to run the cabling and when you're at home you can generally charge overnight. With the box you can connect it up however you like - high or low (mine is simply plugged into an outside socket).

Away from home I have a Porsche supplied cable which enables me to charge at whatever rate is supported by the charger, up to 7.2kw. The "mobile universal charger" is known as the "pill" by Porsche but this never leaves home. Only time it would need to is if you were wanting to charge from a standard socket and not the type 2 (which is what 99% of public chargers are).

Hope that helps!
Old 02-27-2018, 06:14 AM
PP4EH
Track Day

Originally Posted by ajriches01
The onboard 7.2kw is not something you see (it's "under the hood") - it gives the car the capacity to charge at the faster rate if the car is plugged into a socket that supports higher current. At home I have the wall box but that is only plugged into 240v because it was going to cost circa £2k to run the cabling and when you're at home you can generally charge overnight. With the box you can connect it up however you like - high or low (mine is simply plugged into an outside socket).

Away from home I have a Porsche supplied cable which enables me to charge at whatever rate is supported by the charger, up to 7.2kw. The "mobile universal charger" is known as the "pill" by Porsche but this never leaves home. Only time it would need to is if you were wanting to charge from a standard socket and not the type 2 (which is what 99% of public chargers are).

Hope that helps!
so you get the pill 3.6kw as standard and you keep it at home?
Now with this pill if you plug it into a 240v 10a or a 400v 16a doesn’t that lower your charging time?

also you said you don’t bring the pill with you. So does the car as standard have a 3.6kw charger onboard as well ?
So that you just plug it in with the supplied cable minus the pill at public charging ports?

or do you have to bring the pill along when you don’t have the 7.2kw on board charger specced?

Old 02-27-2018, 06:24 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are thinking too much

The 7.2kw "onboard charger" is the car's inbuilt capacity to charge (not pill or cable related). So, don't spec it then it can only charge at (guessing 3.6kw), do spec it and it can charge at 7.2kw (not possible to change this). Then question is what you're plugging into. Most public charges will be 7.2 + and will be Type II. So take your Type II cable (that does not come with the car!!!) and plug in, without pill, and you will fully charge in circa 3 hours. If you don't spec the 7.2, same car plugged into same socket with same cable, will charge in 6 hours.

The "pill" is a neat little rectangular thing that regulates the charging when plugged in to a "normal" socket (i.e. anything either than the Type II thingy) and does not govern charging speed - it's the capacity of the car to accept the charge + the rating of the socket. So if you have an electrician install heavy duty cabling from your main fuse box to outside and install the pill/charging box (pill sits in the charging box, which is simply a pretty box on the wall) with the tri-phase cable (the car comes with the standard 240v and also tri-phase (stuff for free!)), then you can fast charge at home IF your car has the 7.2kw specced.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:19 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the standard charger, Its plugged into 3phase /63amp 400v rated at work.
It charges faster than it does at home on a 32amp ring main socket.

Actually to make life easier I also bought an after market charger for home. Used on both on my old S-E and my new 4-E.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:01 AM
PP4EH
Track Day

Ok so what ajriches wrote makes sense.

Also K777 that makes sense aswell..

I called porsche sweden in stockholm and talked to a rep there.

He said that the 7.2kw charger is only needed to achive the lowest charging time of 2.4 hours.
The standard charger connected to a 400V/16a socket will lower the time from 6ish hours to 3.8h.

So basically i pay 700 Euro to have a lowering of 1.2hours and that is IF i can find a fast charging socket.
What i also get is an issue with connecting it to normal household 220v/10A sockets.. and run the risk of blowing fuses left and right.

Seems like a ****ty deal to me standard set up seems good enough, you can go abit faster on the charge give the right socket atleast.

Now please correct me if i understood this wrong.
Cause if im bound to 6h charging no matter what socket if i don't spec the 7.2kw charger ile be pissed off, then i rather shell out the 700 extra euros.

Let me know if i understood this right, and that the porsche rep is right.

PS
K777 what charge times are you getting out of the 2 different sockets given that you have the standard 3.6kw charger.?
Old 02-28-2018, 07:52 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll do some measuring. in O/H Mini with snow tyres today.

I would say as a guestimate its maybe twice as fast even.
Certainly on my old S-EH was almost twice as fast.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:57 PM
David Patel
Intermediate

Hi All

Sorry to hijack the post but its related and all the comments have been helpful but i still need experienced based help. (sorry).

I am having a Rolec 32amp (7.2KW) IEC 62196 Socket TYPE 2 fitted to the outside of my house via a dedicated MK 4 way Electric board

my car (picking up tomorrow!!!) has the standard 3.6kw charger (it doesn't have the optional charger).
I'm being supplied an additional cable from Porsche for £300 which i understand is the cable i need when wanting to plug in on the move (at service stations).
Since I dont know what style connector this cable is, I need to know if anyone has this cable and is it a TYPE 2 connector which will then plug into my Rolec Socket (which i know is type 2)
I also need to know what is the type of the socket on the actual Porsche (I believe it is a 7 pin plug) but not sure?

finally, can i actually use my home EV charging point that will be installed on my car ? a bit scared of using a 7.2KW 32AMP socket from the house when plugged into my 3.6kw charger in the car - dont want to cause damage?

sorry for the dumb questions.

D
Old 06-10-2018, 12:14 AM
Lev1945
1st Gear

Default 3 phase pill connection

I do not see an explanation regarding the pill (Porsche Universal Charger) accepting 3 phase input electricity supply. So can it use all 3 phases - like 3X400vX16a or is it 1X240vX30a=7.2kW or 1X240vX16a=~3.6kW even while connected to a 3 phase socket?

Quick Reply: 7.2kw onboard charger help