Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera Thermally and Noise Isolating Glass

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 02:09 PM
Pana TJ
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DocPro and all who have contributed....
From what you all say, I decided to include this option in my Pan 4 E-Hybrid that I recently ordered. it was an option I wanted, but feared issues with it. You all helped to alleviate my concerns. Thanks
Old 03-12-2018, 05:02 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Zero problems with cell service.

However the fob to open the garage at my office condo does not operate through the windshield so In hold it out the window. Unique to this car among those I own
Old 03-20-2018, 11:17 PM
usmc
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 18 Panamera turbo with this option & tinted windows, I have Verizon and have had no cellphone reception problems with it, 4g mobile hotspot or any other devices iv'e used that require signal. 8/10 times I'm driving I have an infant with me so the noise isolating has been magic, the only thing I do not like about it is it does a good job of keeping out the exhaust sounds even with the sports chrono/exhaust package. When wanting to enjoy it I have to crack the roof or a window haha but not a REAL complaint.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:10 PM
RBear
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer was able to get me this picture. There is nothing in the manual that I could find on locations in the window for transponders/radar detectors.
2018 Panamera 4 E Hybrid

Old 05-08-2018, 10:44 AM
Will Tell
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pana TJ
I decided to start a new thread related to the Panamera Thermally and Noise Isolating Glass option. At first, While specifying my 4 E-Hybrid Executive, I was interested in this option as I felt it would help significantly with fuel consumption by keeping the car cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. Also, it would help with making an already quiet car even more quiet. I am getting the Burmester Sound System and this extra tranquility may benefit this grand sound.
My dilemma is that I have read several places that this glass will affect cellular reception and possibly the use of Toll Paying transmitters (EZ-Pass). Can anyone with this option shed some perspective on how this glass affects them? I believe with all my reading that ajriches01 and Yoeris both have the thermally and noise isolating glass. Do you have any problems? I would appreciate feedback both good and bad with this option. Thanks in advance.
This reply may be slightly off topic in that I have not spec'd it on my order for the simple reason I want to hear the engine... You know, before the ICE gets legislated out of existence and we're forced to drive machines that whine rather than roar. Otherwise, I would definitely get it; indeed, in many of my online configs I included it. Seeing as you're ahead of the curve by opting for the E-H it's a no-brainer.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:55 PM
ssiminou
Banned

Received 106 Likes on 70 Posts

I'm getting a hybrid Panamera executive. I selected it for a few reasons: keeps cabin about 10-15 degrees cooler based on some test I saw on a Cayenne online, supposedly double-panes all passenger and driver windows for better sound insulation (which is important when in e-power mode), and because it makes the doors heavier which my wife associates with quality. My car will be heavy enough: hybrid AND executive, but to me, in conjunction with the shades all around, it's worth it!
Old 05-09-2018, 06:15 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ssiminou
I'm getting a hybrid Panamera executive. I selected it for a few reasons: keeps cabin about 10-15 degrees cooler based on some test I saw on a Cayenne online, supposedly double-panes all passenger and driver windows for better sound insulation (which is important when in e-power mode), and because it makes the doors heavier which my wife associates with quality. My car will be heavy enough: hybrid AND executive, but to me, in conjunction with the shades all around, it's worth it!
Is it going to be chauffeur driven? Why go for the executive?
Old 05-09-2018, 06:35 PM
ssiminou
Banned

The executive version adds some stuff and cheapens some options, so when I specced both exactly the same, Executive was only 2-3k more expensive.

Also my second Panamera was an Executive, and I think the extra room is just worth it. The mirror on the back ceiling is also cool to have.

It is no chaffeur driven, but is instead a daily drive that’ll replace a Cayenne
Old 05-09-2018, 08:44 PM
Pana TJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Andial
Is it going to be chauffeur driven? Why go for the executive?
Andial, not sure what to make of your question about a chauffeur... Are you implying that only chauffeur driven people should order the Executive? Quite naïve if you ask me... I am surprised that more are not ordering the Executive for the marginal difference in price as noted by ssiminou. The extra leg room in the back is very significant if you are to have regular passengers back there. I ordered the Executive. I am 6 ft. 4 inches and the driver seat will always be the whole way back. If you try this in your standard Panamera, you will see that it would be most uncomfortable to sit behind the drive in this case. To pay as much as I am for this car, I will gladly take the extra 6 inches to make it even close to reasonable to have rear passengers. Sorry to digress from the thread theme, but I felt it quite indignant of you to pose this question.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:13 PM
ssiminou
Banned

Does anyone know the effect of wearing Polarized glasses with the thermal glass option? Am I going to see blue in the window?
Old 05-10-2018, 12:30 PM
ssiminou
Banned

And before you think I’m crazy, I’m asking because I’ve heard somethings about tinted/coated windows changing the color seen through Polarized sun glasses.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:54 PM
Will Tell
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ssiminou
And before you think I’m crazy, I’m asking because I’ve heard somethings about tinted/coated windows changing the color seen through Polarized sun glasses.
I personally don't know. I'm not ordering that option (shockingly) as I don't want to deaden the noise from the engine. My worry about Polarized glasses is will you be able to see the dash screens?
Old 05-10-2018, 10:45 PM
Andial
Banned

Andial, not sure what to make of your question about a chauffeur... Are you implying that only chauffeur driven people should order the Executive? Quite naïve if you ask me... I am surprised that more are not ordering the Executive for the marginal difference in price as noted by ssiminou. The extra leg room in the back is very significant if you are to have regular passengers back there. I ordered the Executive. I am 6 ft. 4 inches and the driver seat will always be the whole way back. If you try this in your standard Panamera, you will see that it would be most uncomfortable to sit behind the drive in this case. To pay as much as I am for this car, I will gladly take the extra 6 inches to make it even close to reasonable to have rear passengers. Sorry to digress from the thread theme, but I felt it quite indignant of you to pose this question.
I'm not indignant, just curious. The first gen pre facelift was chastised for being too cramped for being chauffeur driven, though there were some exceptions. I think most don't order the Executive as they aren't ordered by dealers to put on the lot. The regular Panamera is big enough for most.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:09 PM
Pana TJ
Rennlist Member

Andial, thanks for your explanation. Sorry if I was coming down too hard. I think one ordering the Executive is just another personal preference much like many of the options offered (4S, Turbo, Wheels, etc.) I guess I was just surprised that you related an Executive to a chauffeur driven car. I think the first Panamera I saw on the lot was the Executive (4S) and that was the car that sparked my interest since there was finally a great luxury sport car that had enough room in the rear for my passengers to be comfortable. Seeing that car is the reason I have an Executive ordered today. I am so thankful it is an option, otherwise I would not be able to experience this car.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:50 PM
Andial
Banned

Andial, thanks for your explanation. Sorry if I was coming down too hard. I think one ordering the Executive is just another personal preference much like many of the options offered (4S, Turbo, Wheels, etc.) I guess I was just surprised that you related an Executive to a chauffeur driven car. I think the first Panamera I saw on the lot was the Executive (4S) and that was the car that sparked my interest since there was finally a great luxury sport car that had enough room in the rear for my passengers to be comfortable. Seeing that car is the reason I have an Executive ordered today. I am so thankful it is an option, otherwise I would not be able to experience this car.
No worries. I just figured the take rate would be effectively non-existent in the NA market. Didn't account for taller heights, and the Executive being essential. The Executive is like the Audi A4 L. One buys it so they don't overstep into the A6.

Quick Reply: Panamera Thermally and Noise Isolating Glass