Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera Thermally and Noise Isolating Glass

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 09:16 PM
Pana TJ
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool Panamera Thermally and Noise Isolating Glass

I decided to start a new thread related to the Panamera Thermally and Noise Isolating Glass option. At first, While specifying my 4 E-Hybrid Executive, I was interested in this option as I felt it would help significantly with fuel consumption by keeping the car cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. Also, it would help with making an already quiet car even more quiet. I am getting the Burmester Sound System and this extra tranquility may benefit this grand sound.
My dilemma is that I have read several places that this glass will affect cellular reception and possibly the use of Toll Paying transmitters (EZ-Pass). Can anyone with this option shed some perspective on how this glass affects them? I believe with all my reading that ajriches01 and Yoeris both have the thermally and noise isolating glass. Do you have any problems? I would appreciate feedback both good and bad with this option. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:44 PM
rklann
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 2016 Macan with Thermally and Noise Insulated Glass and AT&T cell service and did not have any problems with cell service. I do not use an EZ-Pass, so I can not help you in that area. I enjoyed the Thermally and Noise Insulated Glass so much, I added to the build specification for my 2018 Panamera E-Hybrid. Hope this helps!
Old 02-12-2018, 10:13 PM
dudecs
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

I had my 2013 Panamera windshield replaced which did not originally have the Thermal & Noise Insulated Glass. To my surprise, the replacement was the thermal glass which is the OEM replacement (supersedes other part numbers). There are cutouts in the metal film that is sandwich between the glass on either side of the review mirror for a toll transponder. Also, I am just able to attach my radar detector on the driver side cutout, though not optimally mounted.

The new windshield does have a slight tint and keeps the top of the dash cooler.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:55 AM
RDS928S
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 307 Posts

After 3 yrs. of driving i have zero issues with EZpass & cell phone usage with thermal glass.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:45 AM
Pana TJ
Rennlist Member

Thanks all for your feedback. So far, very reassuring.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:22 AM
s-works
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

It came on a preowned 2009 Cayenne Turbo that I purchased. I also had a BMW X5 that I put on aftermarket window tint and did not work as well as the Cayenne.

I also specced it on my Pan 4E and consider it a mandatory option for me. The cost of the factory option vs having window tint put on is negligible.

Never had any issues with phone. Do not use radar detectors that much, but I hear that it cuts down on the sensitivity.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:40 PM
jtorrebl
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Pana TJ
I decided to start a new thread related to the Panamera Thermally and Noise Isolating Glass option. At first, While specifying my 4 E-Hybrid Executive, I was interested in this option as I felt it would help significantly with fuel consumption by keeping the car cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. Also, it would help with making an already quiet car even more quiet. I am getting the Burmester Sound System and this extra tranquility may benefit this grand sound.
My dilemma is that I have read several places that this glass will affect cellular reception and possibly the use of Toll Paying transmitters (EZ-Pass). Can anyone with this option shed some perspective on how this glass affects them? I believe with all my reading that ajriches01 and Yoeris both have the thermally and noise isolating glass. Do you have any problems? I would appreciate feedback both good and bad with this option. Thanks in advance.
I have it on my 2017 panamera. The cabin is very quite but don’t know How much more quiet than stock. No problems with cellular or fast track transmitters
Old 02-13-2018, 01:27 PM
crack3rd
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jtorrebl

I have it on my 2017 panamera. The cabin is very quite but don’t know How much more quiet than stock. No problems with cellular or fast track transmitters
Where do you place your fast track transmitters? I have "Thermally and Noise Isolating" glass too but the fast track doesn't seem to work anywhere on the windshield. I also have an infrared garage door opener and when I placed it on the windshield, it doesn't work. I have to place it at the panoramic roof. Tried the infrared garage door opener on other cars' windshield and works perfectly.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:43 PM
cr207
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default check your manual

it will show you the location where it will work.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:42 PM
P-Drooler
Track Day

I specced it on my new E-Hybrid (hoping for late April delivery) and I lock this week. I heard that if one's cell phone is connected to the center armrest USB and placed in the little pocket, it somehow "taps into" the car's antenna. Not sure if that is true or not ...
Old 02-13-2018, 07:08 PM
crack3rd
Advanced

Originally Posted by cr207
it will show you the location where it will work.
You mean check the fast track manual? I tried following all the places that they recommended but didn't work. Asked my dealer about it and they were unsure too.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:51 PM
jtorrebl
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by crack3rd
Where do you place your fast track transmitters? I have "Thermally and Noise Isolating" glass too but the fast track doesn't seem to work anywhere on the windshield. I also have an infrared garage door opener and when I placed it on the windshield, it doesn't work. I have to place it at the panoramic roof. Tried the infrared garage door opener on other cars' windshield and works perfectly.
at the top of the windshield just right of the center console
Old 02-14-2018, 08:19 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

I have it and love it on my new Sport Turismo. However, it blocks the transmitter for my office garage door. It cannot be programmed to this type of multi tenant door either so I have to hold the key fob out the window. Good tip on the EZ pass
Old 02-14-2018, 09:49 PM
Tmoose
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have it in my 2018 Panamera. It’s great especially if u make a lot of calls in the car on the highway.

One downside is it makes window tinting even harder to do... because the glass is so think.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:47 PM
DocPro
Track Day

I have a 2010 Panamera Turbo with the double glaze thermo/sound insulation. I have had no issues with my Valentine One radar/laser unit and no issues with the Florida Sun Pass device.

Quick Reply: Panamera Thermally and Noise Isolating Glass