Panamera 2010-Current

PDLS lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 01:34 PM
Heath Detweiler
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PDLS lights

Hello. I just bought a 14 4S that is a beauty. Sadly, one of the PDLS lights went out and needed replaced. Once I got the car back, I can barely see at all at night with my low beams on. The dealer is at a loss on what the issue can be and in fact thinks that everything is normal. However, when they took it out at night, they "think" something may be off. Problem is, they do not have another 14-16 Panamera on site with the PDLS lights to be able to compare them at night. Anyone have the PDLS lights that they can speak to their ability to illuminate the road at night? Pictures at night would be great also. I'm baffled that the dealer would think these lights are normal and within specs when they clearly illuminated the road prior to the one light being replaced, and now they seem to point so low that they are not safe for driving at night. In fact, the low beam was still so bright that I could clearly see the road even when the other light was not working. If you have the PDLS lights in your 14-16 Porche, please share your experience and overall view of the low beam lights even if not a Panamera.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-11-2018, 03:19 AM
dougpan4
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Heath Detweiler
Hello. I just bought a 14 4S that is a beauty. Sadly, one of the PDLS lights went out and needed replaced. Once I got the car back, I can barely see at all at night with my low beams on. The dealer is at a loss on what the issue can be and in fact thinks that everything is normal. However, when they took it out at night, they "think" something may be off. Problem is, they do not have another 14-16 Panamera on site with the PDLS lights to be able to compare them at night. Anyone have the PDLS lights that they can speak to their ability to illuminate the road at night? Pictures at night would be great also. I'm baffled that the dealer would think these lights are normal and within specs when they clearly illuminated the road prior to the one light being replaced, and now they seem to point so low that they are not safe for driving at night. In fact, the low beam was still so bright that I could clearly see the road even when the other light was not working. If you have the PDLS lights in your 14-16 Porche, please share your experience and overall view of the low beam lights even if not a Panamera.

Thanks in advance!
I have 16Pan4s with PLDS. It is very bright. You can see the whole road at night very well. The dealer needs to initialize the PDLS headlight and calibrate it. They should know how to do it, i assume that you bring your car to Porsche dealer.
Imagine you see BMW with Xenon light, your PDLS is brighter than BMW.

I will attach the picture tomorrow night.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:26 AM
Heath Detweiler
8th Gear

Doug, I appreciate that. If you are able to take pictures at night whereas the only light on the road IS your lights, that would be fantastic. I hate to ask too much and be a bother, but the more pictures the better--maybe even pics showing the difference between the low and high beams for comparison purposes.

I took it to Leith here in Cary, NC. They act like they have no idea what it is or what th issue is. They took it out at night, and confirmed it is not right. Then I got a call Friday saying they wanted a tech to be able to take it home so they could see exactly how bad the lights are at night. I'm like, "we have already been over that and established that. Now you want to take it back out at night a week later?!" I was speechless. They are the ones who installed the replacement passenger light and it was after that that I had these low beam issues. So I hate to take it to another dealer and then have to pay them. However, if Leith can't fix it, well, they can't fix it. I'm thinking my next course of action is to take it to another (assume more competent) dealer, have them fix it, then send Leith the bill. Leith says their techs are certified out the tax-end, but I have low beams that don't work, and they have no idea what it could be...and then flip flop between actual thinking something is wrong and something it not. Very frustrating. Thanks so much for your help--I'll look forward to those pics.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:22 AM
dougpan4
Advanced

you can see how bright it is

2016 headlight PDLS

I feel your pain and frustration. Here are few pictures for you to see how bright the PDLS is. If I was you, I would email my frustration to Porsche dealer GM to tell him how incompetence they are to fix a simple PDLS headlight. I assume you have a LOANER when your car is in service, right. Please Do not bring your car to other Porsche dealer to fix their screw up. Let them fix it. Their problem and you want to have it FIX period. Who would have time to reason with dumb dealer? I am always very nice to my local Porsche dealer Porsche of Fremont. I gave SF Giants games tickets, and bottle of wines for christmas to Service Advisor and SA Manager as my investment and relationship. When I bring my car in , I want it done right. They understand that.
It happened to me before with BMW headlights when they changed the whole assembly. They need to initialize and calibrate them so the headlights point correctly.

Please let us know how it is ...
Good luck ...
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_2549.MOV (2.53 MB, 60 views)
File Type: mov
IMG_2553.MOV (4.65 MB, 60 views)

Last edited by dougpan4; 02-12-2018 at 01:25 AM. Reason: forgot
Old 02-12-2018, 01:26 AM
dougpan4
Advanced

the headlights are in LOW beam that's all you care, normal driving at night.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:27 AM
dougpan4
Advanced

normal driving at night with low beam PDLS. Who care about high beam? LOL ...
Old 02-12-2018, 12:26 PM
Heath Detweiler
8th Gear

dougpan4 I appreciate your help on this. They say the lights now work right--their top mechanic attested to this. Should have it back today to see for myself. I really don't want to take it to another dealer either. Thanks again for the pics!
Old 02-12-2018, 06:49 PM
Heath Detweiler
8th Gear

The car arrived. I didn't notice any issues when it arrived. Took her for a drive and 5 minutes later, I got this. Driver turned back around to pick it back up and take it back. This is the same headlamp that they replaced and is brand new. Service manager says he's never heard of liquid being in the light. Anyone in the world ever had these kind of issues with their lights?

Old 02-16-2018, 09:55 AM
Fulwild
Rennlist Member

Washer fluid?
Old 02-16-2018, 10:24 AM
Heath Detweiler
8th Gear

Got her back home and she is finally fixed. They had to replace that entire headlamp again. Service manager said the housing was too tight and under stress it actually broke the seal in the headlamp allowing rain in (that is what he said--I have never seen rain that color though LOL). Housing has been adjusted, the aim of the lights has been adjusted, and at last, I can see at night again. Taking her for a minim mountain trip to Banner Elk this weekend now.

Quick Reply: PDLS lights