Panamera 2010-Current

e-hybrids delivery in December?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 09:33 PM
GTZ22
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default e-hybrids delivery in December?

Since there are a bunch of us including myself with their cars stuck at port, I thought of starting a new thread where we could share any updates and news.
I think most of us were promised delivery in December.

Since December is only one week away , does any one have any news?
You would think we would hear something more concrete by now.
All I was told by my SA is the system is not providing updates because the cars are stuck at port.

Circle Porsche has had a few ads on Autotrader for a few weeks
"New 2018 Porsche Panamera E-Hybrid. Just arrived". Not likely IMO.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:07 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by GTZ22
Since there are a bunch of us including myself with their cars stuck at port, I thought of starting a new thread where we could share any updates and news.
I think most of us were promised delivery in December.

Since December is only one week away , does any one have any news?
You would think we would hear something more concrete by now.
All I was told by my SA is the system is not providing updates because the cars are stuck at port.

Circle Porsche has had a few ads on Autotrader for a few weeks
"New 2018 Porsche Panamera E-Hybrid. Just arrived". Not likely IMO.
CARB has not yet received the paperwork they need to certify the car. Once they receive it they will take 2-4 weeks to process. So if they receive the paperwork this week, best case is they will certify by mid month; worst case around year end. Once CARB has certified, they will still have to be transported to the Dealers which will also take some time. I'm hoping we will be able to take title this year to ensure we can take the tax credit of $6670 on our 2017 tax return. If it goes over year end we may lose the tax credit altogether as the House version of the new tax bill is eliminating all tax credits for hybrid or all electric cars.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:55 PM
GTZ22
Advanced

Originally Posted by SaratogaLefty
... if they receive the paperwork this week, ....
Finger crossed but that's the big "if".
I'm seriously thinking of walking if it doesn't happen this year.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:01 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Angry

Finger crossed but that's the big "if".
I'm seriously thinking of walking if it doesn't happen this year.
So I've been chasing around trying to find out more information. I know the CARB still has not received the necessary paperwork to start their certification and then I just received the following from PCNA:

It was a pleasure to speak with you over the phone last week. As we discussed, I've looked into your request with all internal resources to see if I could uncover any additional details about the delayed delivery of your Porsche. I'm sorry to inform you that I found we anticipate further certification delays on your Panamera 4 E-Hybrid stretching into the early months of next year. I know that hearing this will be frustrating, and apologize I do not have better news to relay. I'll keep updating you as information becomes available.

So now I'm looking at possibly receiving my car sometime in the 1st Quarter of 2018!! Since the car exited the Build Shop in late June, that will mean the car has been sitting in various locations (Germany; Ship; San Diego Port) for at least seven months (assuming late January) without any battery charge!! Plus there is still the issue of the pending tax bill which for the House version will eliminate all tax credits for PHEV or Electric cars (meaning the loss of $6670). I've been renting an old Cadillac from a friend because I had to turn my Lexus back in at the end of July (it was a lease) and now my friend needs the Cadillac back soon for his daughter. I never anticipated this kind of a delay from my original August delivery date. I'm not sure what to do at this point??? I really wanted the Panamera 4 E-Hybrid but now I'm going to constantly be waiting for problems to occur since it has been sitting idle for so long. I'm seriously considering asking for my deposit to be returned or possibly to move it over to the Mission E assuming they can put me at the top of their waiting list. If so, then I need to find a temporary (two years??) solution in the short term. Maybe a used 911 that will hold its value??
Old 11-28-2017, 05:47 PM
Panaseeya
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

It seems to me a mass cancelation of these cars would teach Porsche a lesson in the importance of handling situations like this better.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:29 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SaratogaLefty
I'm not sure what to do at this point?

The idle time is a complicated issue.

On the positive side, I can say that if the car works and can be charged when it arrives, it's unlikely there are any long-term problems. On the negative side, there's a non-zero chance that the traction battery will be discharged deeply enough on arrival to be permanently damaged. If that's the case, it won't be hard to detect, and it will be correctable by replacing the battery. The dealer is equipped to yank it - it's about like lifting an engine out of a car. My dealership had to do that with my PSeH to implement a service bulletin change to the charge controller.

Lithium ion batteries don't suffer from self-discharge problems like lead-acid. They have some, but it's pretty minor. Unfortunately, there's significant load on the battery even when idle, so it can discharge anyway, given time. Given that Porsche's supply chain seems largely unfamiliar with PHEV's, I wouldn't be surprised if no one has addressed this and kept the car charged.

I'd bring my concerns to the dealership, and see what they have to say, before cancelling an order outright. Tell them you don't just want assurances that the car will be fine, you want to know what they will do if the car is not fine.

If you're trying to figure out what to do for 2-3 months, I'd suggest a long term car rental. I gather those are a thing, though I don't know the rates. They've got to be less than a Panamera lease if you're willing to settle for something boring.

For 2 years, your best choice is probably buying an older car that's seen most of its depreciation. Though that's 2 years of driving a car you probably don't like much.

Or you could just punt on it entirely, and buy a car that you actually want that isn't a P4eH.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:14 PM
GTZ22
Advanced

Not surprised. I think they've known for a while it wouldn't happen until first quarter 18.
It's pretty clear when you go to the configurator and it's been saying for weeks, "Coming in early 2018."

I'll ping my SA in a week or so and if I get the same story, I plan to cancel.
Based on what I'm seeing I wouldn't put it past them in Q1 to say "Sorry, looks like it will be Q2"
Old 11-28-2017, 11:27 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
The idle time is a complicated issue.

On the positive side, I can say that if the car works and can be charged when it arrives, it's unlikely there are any long-term problems. On the negative side, there's a non-zero chance that the traction battery will be discharged deeply enough on arrival to be permanently damaged. If that's the case, it won't be hard to detect, and it will be correctable by replacing the battery. The dealer is equipped to yank it - it's about like lifting an engine out of a car. My dealership had to do that with my PSeH to implement a service bulletin change to the charge controller.

Lithium ion batteries don't suffer from self-discharge problems like lead-acid. They have some, but it's pretty minor. Unfortunately, there's significant load on the battery even when idle, so it can discharge anyway, given time. Given that Porsche's supply chain seems largely unfamiliar with PHEV's, I wouldn't be surprised if no one has addressed this and kept the car charged.

I'd bring my concerns to the dealership, and see what they have to say, before cancelling an order outright. Tell them you don't just want assurances that the car will be fine, you want to know what they will do if the car is not fine.

If you're trying to figure out what to do for 2-3 months, I'd suggest a long term car rental. I gather those are a thing, though I don't know the rates. They've got to be less than a Panamera lease if you're willing to settle for something boring.

For 2 years, your best choice is probably buying an older car that's seen most of its depreciation. Though that's 2 years of driving a car you probably don't like much.

Or you could just punt on it entirely, and buy a car that you actually want that isn't a P4eH.
Gus, thank you very much for your encouraging words. I have to wait and see what happens with the tax credit. While we are talking about a $130k car and you could say what's another $7k, there has to be a point when you say there has been enough negative messages coming to me that the "karma" is just starting to not feel very good. This would be my fourth Porsche. I tracked a 911 for five years a while back and bought my first Porsche, a used 356B in 1967. I also had one of the very first Boxster S cars. Now I'm 69 years old and this was to be the most special of them all and its just not turning out like I anticipated. Not trying to deliver a "sob story" here but as I'm sure everyone can tell this is very frustrating. I really do want this car but ....
Old 11-28-2017, 11:33 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Not surprised. I think they've known for a while it wouldn't happen until first quarter 18.
It's pretty clear when you go to the configurator and it's been saying for weeks, "Coming in early 2018."

I'll ping my SA in a week or so and if I get the same story, I plan to cancel.
Based on what I'm seeing I wouldn't put it past them in Q1 to say "Sorry, looks like it will be Q2"
I've been going back and forth with this PCNA rep for quite a while using email messages. All he has done is told me its coming soon and thanked me for being patient. I finally called and spoke with him directly last week and told him my patience was running out. I wished him a happy Thanksgiving and told him I needed a more specific answer and expected him to respond this week, which he did. During our verbal discussion last week he told me the system was still showing December for delivery. I told him I needed a more specific answer and requested he escalate until he managed to obtain a real answer. The email indicating early 2018 was the answer. I need to make my decision by year end as that is when I lose my cheap rental from my friend.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:52 PM
GTZ22
Advanced

It really sucks that we have to pull teeth to get any response and even that one Saratoga got is pretty vague.
Since their last letter said 8-12 weeks and that's pretty much up, I'm curious if they will send out another letter.
I can't imagine they will just leave everyone hanging including the dealers.

It will be interesting what they write in the next letter.
If this new delay is really true, their credibility is pretty much shot with me.

I'm just hoping they get their act together and try to pull off some December deliveries.
Would be great to have it by Christmas!
Old 11-29-2017, 04:15 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a never-ending saga, very sorry to hear that things might even be moving in the wrong direction. I would go to the dealership and ask for a loaner or a guaranteed future value for a second hand 911. Or see if they would give you a substantial discount on a Panamera 4S or Turbo that they have in stock.

The e-Hybrid is a great car, but I am not sure it is worth this level of emotional angst!!
Old 12-01-2017, 10:16 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

My Turbo S E-hybrid has been sitting in port for some time. It was originally scheduled to be delivered next week. I'm hearing 1Q18.

Quick Reply: e-hybrids delivery in December?