Panamera 2010-Current

'18 Panamera 4S Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 10:48 PM
jrjunior31
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '18 Panamera 4S Test Drive

Just went on a short test drive in an '18 P4S. Wanted to post some impressions and also get some feedback from current 4 or 4S owners. I currently own a '15 PGTS with the NA V8.

I put the 4S in Sport throttle and the first thing I noticed when I hit the gas was the upshifts were rough and kind of herky/jerky. The car felt plenty quick like it had more low-end torque than my GTS but the PDK didn't feel smooth, just a totally different feel from the buttery PDK in the GTS. I was expecting some slightly rough downshifts from 3-2-1 as others have mentioned but was taken off guard by the upshifts. The SA mentioned they had a 4S that was much worse than this and then the software was updated and it was fine. He said I wouldn't worry about it. However this was a new shipment of 18s so I'm confused as to why the PDK feels this way.

The center screen is beautiful but indeed I noticed a viscious glare on the screen during mid-day. The new interior looks sharp and very modern, I like the lay-out, but there is a lot less leather than on the previous generation, especially on the dashboard. The leather also doesn't seem as thick and plush on the new gen. I'm comparing the full leather interiors, not the standard interior.

I do like the new styling its a cleaner design especially the rear end and the tail lights. I wanted to take more time with the car but the dealer doesn't allow extended test drives supposedly. Has anyone gotten a software update for PDK on a 17+ by any chance?
Old 10-24-2017, 06:37 PM
and7
Intermediate

I have a 4S I bought new in the UK in July with full leather and I have not encountered any of the problems you mention. PDK is not jerky. Have no problems with glare on the screen. Leather is very soft and looks great.
Perhaps try a test drive on another 4S with another dealer.
I had extended test drives in a Turbo and 4S and preferred the 4S.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:35 PM
Jty421
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by and7
I have a 4S I bought new in the UK in July with full leather and I have not encountered any of the problems you mention. PDK is not jerky. Have no problems with glare on the screen. Leather is very soft and looks great.
Perhaps try a test drive on another 4S with another dealer.
I had extended test drives in a Turbo and 4S and preferred the 4S.
can you explain why you preferred the 4S?
Old 10-24-2017, 11:55 PM
Drivingoncords
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 2018 4s and have not experience any issues with the upshifts in any driving mode.

I'd second the recommendation of trying another 4s to drive.

Multiple review sites gave a preference to the 4s over the turbo as the 270lb weight difference made the car feel more nimble.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:47 AM
jrjunior31
Advanced

Thx for the replies, I will absolutely test drive a different 4S and hopefully for a longer run. I ordered a 4S in September I really want to love the car. The seats seem fine, in terms of the leather I was referring more to the dash. The new Panamera has a small strip of leather on top of the dash whereas my GTS has half of the dashboard covered in leather.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:22 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seconding what has already been said, PDK is great save for 2-1 but that's probably true for most cars shifting to first while rolling (unlike a 911 in fairness). A few people have mentioned less leather but as I did not own a previous gen, it's hard for me to comment - the car is Porsche luxury, if you want to drown in leather then get a second hand Bentley or a Mercedes (YUK). In the last 4 months I have noticed the glare once - sun has to be at a specific height and angle to the car.

As an aside though - the pictures of the interior of the new A7 look very nice - I wonder if it will dent Panamera sales upon release (for those less focused on the driving).
Old 10-31-2017, 12:52 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,323 Likes on 567 Posts

We owned a ‘15 P GTS and loved it. Best sounding car ever!

Just got an ‘18 P4 with 21”s and Air suspension and other goodies.

PDK is very smooth. We are abiding by break in (300 miles so far) but no issues with transmission.

It’s a great looking car. More elegant than the previous generation but I prefer the ‘15 in terms of engine and exhaust note. The ‘18 is improved in some ways. The sound is anemic compared to ‘15 GTS.

Our ‘15 had a pesky coolant leak that they had difficulty fixing so we opted out but do regret selling.

So far happy with the 18. Quiet. Comfortable. Smooth. It has some long road trips in it’s future and we expect it’ll be a great car for long journeys.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:30 AM
jrjunior31
Advanced

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
We owned a ‘15 P GTS and loved it. Best sounding car ever!

Just got an ‘18 P4 with 21”s and Air suspension and other goodies.

PDK is very smooth. We are abiding by break in (300 miles so far) but no issues with transmission.

It’s a great looking car. More elegant than the previous generation but I prefer the ‘15 in terms of engine and exhaust note. The ‘18 is improved in some ways. The sound is anemic compared to ‘15 GTS.

Our ‘15 had a pesky coolant leak that they had difficulty fixing so we opted out but do regret selling.

So far happy with the 18. Quiet. Comfortable. Smooth. It has some long road trips in it’s future and we expect it’ll be a great car for long journeys.
Great to hear from someone coming from a PGTS. I know the engine sound will be a huge downgrade. Do you have PSE on the '18? The spec on my order is:

Panamera 4S
Black
Saddle/Luxor Leather Interior
21" Exclusive Design Wheels in Satin Platinum
Premium Package Plus
Air Suspension
Sweetgum Interior Package
Surround View Camera
Ambient Lighting
Window Trim in High Gloss Black
Voice Control
Storage Package

I didn't opt for Chrono since I never use it on my GTS but I've heard it's vastly improved. The Sport + on the '15 is not usable in automatic mode the shift points are too high. I think I may miss the Sport Package as the rear axle steering seemed great on the Turbo I test drove.

Last edited by jrjunior31; 10-31-2017 at 02:57 AM.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:03 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,323 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by jrjunior31
Great to hear from someone coming from a PGTS. I know the engine sound will be a huge downgrade. Do you have PSE on the '18?
No - no Porsche Sport Exhaust. Maybe it would help but on the other hand, it’s nice and quiet on the highway and since this is a DD it’s more about comfort for us.

Our 991RS has rear steering and while it’s very cool, and makes the wheel base seem shorter when maneuvering in tight quarters - I don’t know that I would need it on a Panamera. Granted - it’s a big vehicle. But it’s fairly sporty considering the size/weight. I guess it depends how you drive, and where you are parking every day. For us the rear steer would be inconsequential - other than increasing the fun factor in certain (limited) circumstances.

All things being even I MUCH prefer the look of the ‘18 over the ‘15 (even though it had been improved with the elimination of the rear “hump”). But otherwise, the ‘15 was a more gratifying car for my personal taste.

Hubby much prefers the ‘18 as it meets more of his requirements. He and I want different things from a car, and have different “needs” stemming from what makes us comfortable. The air suspension is great and creates the comfort he needs and allows me to have a sportier handling if he is not with me.

Quick Reply: '18 Panamera 4S Test Drive