Panamera 2010-Current

2017 Panamera..way too many flat tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 11:46 AM
Rossww
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Panamera..way too many flat tires

Anyone else have an excessive amount of flat tires? I have the OEM 19" wheels and stock tires and have had three flats in only 4,500 miles. This is crazy and thank goodness for wheel/tire insurance.

Maybe it's bad luck, maybe the tires are too soft. Anyone else getting a lot of flats?
Old 10-23-2017, 12:43 PM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

I've had 1 on my TTS, two on my GT4 and 3 on my Cayenne. For the life of me, I don't see how nails and screws are so drawn to these tires. I couldn't hammer a nail in a tire to save my life, yet I can center one in the tread every time by just driving over it.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:35 PM
NYG1121
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossww
Anyone else have an excessive amount of flat tires? I have the OEM 19" wheels and stock tires and have had three flats in only 4,500 miles. This is crazy and thank goodness for wheel/tire insurance.

Maybe it's bad luck, maybe the tires are too soft. Anyone else getting a lot of flats?
I had one at 2500 miles on my 2017 P4. 21 inch summer pirellis. Now have all seasons and so far so good. Definitely spend the money on tire/wheel insurance. Huge piece of mind..
Old 10-23-2017, 06:38 PM
knowspin
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Be careful to drive in the normal travel lanes. Drivers who tend to veer off closer to the curb are far more likely to pick up a nail or screw. If you've ever walked along a busy road you would be amazed at all the small debris kicked to the side.

I've driven probably several million miles in my lifetime, and the best I can recall I've had maybe 4 punctures.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:54 AM
gtr
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

I ordered mine with 20" Rims because of the tire selection such as Michelins. Michelin from my experience stands up to nails way better than other makes. Usually you can drive with nail and slow leak vs flat on other makes.

Probably get flames for this but I wish they design run flats for our cars. I think with these heavy air suspension cars, harsh ride should not be an issue anymore.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:56 PM
TestnDoc
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 4S on order and am thinking about putting run flats on the car. Run flats have saved me a few times, allowing me to either get home or to my Mercedes dealer.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:35 PM
dudecs
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

The sacrifice with run-flats is ride comfort. That is, run-flats have a harsher ride.

As per previous response, performance summer tires are soft/sticky and best to avoid shoulders of the road. The upside with soft tires is that if there is a puncture from a nail or screw, the softer rubber may seal around the foreign object and minimize air loss.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:19 AM
turbodogs02
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like bad luck to me......I've had 2 flats in the past 10 years (*looking for lucky rabbits foot, a chunk of wood and a salt shaker now).......

The last one was a set of 21" Michelin Pilot Super Sports.....the thing held air for a long time until it finally didn't.....
Old 10-27-2017, 06:54 AM
thorfun
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by turbodogs02
Sounds like bad luck to me......I've had 2 flats in the past 10 years (*looking for lucky rabbits foot, a chunk of wood and a salt shaker now).......

The last one was a set of 21" Michelin Pilot Super Sports.....the thing held air for a long time until it finally didn't.....
I was at my local dealership yesterday and there was a guy there who'd got 6 miles down the road in his new 4 e-hybrid before he got a massive hole in his tyre and had to be towed back to the dealership!

now that's bad luck.

Quick Reply: 2017 Panamera..way too many flat tires