Panamera 2010-Current

HELP Buying a Panamera

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 01:15 AM
R35
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP Buying a Panamera

Hello all. I have been looking into a 2010/2011 Panamera for a daily driver... I’m coming from mostly Japanese cars (Infiniti FX, Lexus RC, GTR in my garage currently) and a few BMs in the past. Never been in a Porsche before, but my friend has a few at his used car dealer and I absolutely fell in love. Was gonna pick up an Infiniti m37/m56 but this car was sitting so pretty at the lot I couldnt resist from taking a look haha. Anyways, mainly looking at RWD Panamera V6/ RWD Panamera S... and the only major issues I have read about were oil consumption and cam adjuster bolt snapping on the V8s. Also heard about normal carbon build up. Otherwise seems like a reliable car, and if you have had any other issues(drivetrain/suspension/electrics/interior, EVERYTHING) I am missing besides routine maintenence, or anything I should specifically look for before buying please let me know. I’m also debating between the V6 and the S... I wouldnt mind the power of the V8, but if it comes with the cost of reliability, I will stick to a V6 100% or maybe its the other way around?... Additionally... I havent really heard anything about reliability on the 3.6 V6 motors or the PDK tranny in both cars. Once again Ive never owned or been close with a Porsche owner so everything is new to me... Thank you
Old 10-22-2017, 12:29 PM
pmichaelis
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've owned a 2010 4S since new and can tell you some of my experiences. Oil consumption in my car is negligible, 1 qt added in 6000 miles between changes. The cam bolts issue is under a Porsche recall AH08, which means they acknowledge the problem and will make repairs. Haven't heard of any carbon buildup issues. The least reliable part is the software, my car needed a reload early on to settle some burps and now and then I still get false issues which clear on restarts. I have 50,000+ miles on the car and love it. This is my 5th Porsche, earlier experiences in 911s, 993, 944. All have been reliable, which is not to say flawless but well above all my earlier cars which number in the dozens.
Incidentally, I regularly get 28 mpg and have gotten 32mpg when observing speed laws. Early on, I ran some acceleration tests and got a 0-60 time of 4.3 sec with a GoPro! This is with a V8 which I would recommend over the 6. The PDK is a good transmission, mine has no issues and I haven't heard of any significant ones.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:06 PM
R35
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pmichaelis
I've owned a 2010 4S since new and can tell you some of my experiences. Oil consumption in my car is negligible, 1 qt added in 6000 miles between changes. The cam bolts issue is under a Porsche recall AH08, which means they acknowledge the problem and will make repairs. Haven't heard of any carbon buildup issues. The least reliable part is the software, my car needed a reload early on to settle some burps and now and then I still get false issues which clear on restarts. I have 50,000+ miles on the car and love it. This is my 5th Porsche, earlier experiences in 911s, 993, 944. All have been reliable, which is not to say flawless but well above all my earlier cars which number in the dozens.
Incidentally, I regularly get 28 mpg and have gotten 32mpg when observing speed laws. Early on, I ran some acceleration tests and got a 0-60 time of 4.3 sec with a GoPro! This is with a V8 which I would recommend over the 6. The PDK is a good transmission, mine has no issues and I haven't heard of any significant ones.
Thanks brotha for the heads up. Would you prefer the 4s over the S? Any advantages/ disadvantage over awd and rwd?
Old 10-22-2017, 01:57 PM
pmichaelis
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by R35
Thanks brotha for the heads up. Would you prefer the 4s over the S? Any advantages/ disadvantage over awd and rwd?
Would I prefer the 4S? Absolutely, the 4 wheel drive is not the least bit intrusive, has little effect on mileage and can't think of any disadvantages, and the flat-out acceleration is better. I got more than 45000 miles on the 1st set of Michellins, I do use winter tires so that helps.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:32 AM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm close to putting my 2010 Panamera S up for sale. It's a highly optioned car (sticker $107k+) with 48k miles. It's also a CPO car until 4/18. Silver over black. Let me know if you're interested.

Quick Reply: HELP Buying a Panamera