Panamera 2010-Current

2017/18 4S- how is ride quality

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 10:34 AM
Sarum87
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017/18 4S- how is ride quality

new 4S owners, can you please comment on the ride quality, specifically around town and poor quality roads. I live in San Francisco where the roads are not that great. Currently in a Tesla p90 Sedan and ride quality is pretty good. I read about the 3 chambers of air per wheel vs. the 2 chambers in the older models. I'm looking for a car that will deliver a comfortable ride around town- not looking so much for a BMW "M" type ride- overly stiff, not that compliant, anxious for the track. DOes the new 4S deliver both comfort (comfort mode) and performance (sport+)? For reference I'm also looking at the BMW M550i X Drive, and the Mercedes S Class (total extreme I know). I Like the Mercedes AMG e63 as well but I think that will be too uncompromising for daily driver. Thanks for input.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:05 AM
NYG1121
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarum87
new 4S owners, can you please comment on the ride quality, specifically around town and poor quality roads. I live in San Francisco where the roads are not that great. Currently in a Tesla p90 Sedan and ride quality is pretty good. I read about the 3 chambers of air per wheel vs. the 2 chambers in the older models. I'm looking for a car that will deliver a comfortable ride around town- not looking so much for a BMW "M" type ride- overly stiff, not that compliant, anxious for the track. DOes the new 4S deliver both comfort (comfort mode) and performance (sport+)? For reference I'm also looking at the BMW M550i X Drive, and the Mercedes S Class (total extreme I know). I Like the Mercedes AMG e63 as well but I think that will be too uncompromising for daily driver. Thanks for input.
Not in a 4S but a 4 around the horrible roads of Boston on 21 inch wheels. I just put all season pirellis on mine. I have the air suspension and I must say, this is the most dynamic suspension I have ever had in a car. In comfort mode, I can barely feel the bumps on these big wheels. I had a macan base a loaner without the air suspension which was much harsher. In sport mode it becomes more stiff but still far from uncomfortable and better than the macan base or my previous BMW 4 series with x drive. There are multiple stiffness settings so you can really tailor it. I bet 4S is similar.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:19 PM
silviang
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarum87
This is a bit subjective so others might feel different. I was able to compare this with the ride quality from a 2016 BMW 7-Series and it's very comparable while in "soft" mode. I consider the ride quality very smooth. In "sport+" mode - I feel the car becoming much stiffer and connected to the road.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:42 PM
and7
Intermediate

I have a 4s and find the ride quality superb. In all modes and in town where Comfort mode is best. The ride quality is far better than other cars I have owned: BMW, Jag, Lexus, P Macan etc
Old 10-20-2017, 04:34 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

eHybrid owner (so much heavier). Suspension is the best I have experienced - a much smoother ride and more composed on the bigger bumps than my X6.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:44 AM
Sarum87
Instructor

Great info. Thanks.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:06 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 566 Posts

2018 Panamera 4 owner

With adjustable air suspension it is a highly customizable and smooth ride. Hubby has very bad back (3 surgeries and compromised mobility). He finds the car quite comfortable. We were considering a Macan GTS but ended up with this 4 and are happy with the decision. It’s on 21” wheels. The handling and ride are fantastic, and it’s an extremely comfortable car.

The air suspension is a “must”

Last edited by needmoregarage; 10-28-2017 at 04:37 PM.

Quick Reply: 2017/18 4S- how is ride quality