Panamera 2010-Current

Turbo Panamera Sport Turismo = :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 03:57 PM
Rallybagger
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Turbo Panamera Sport Turismo = :(

I was excited when I first saw this announced that Porsche was taking the dive into Wagon territory. Having two small kiddos, their junk and a hatred for SUV's all added up to a win for me as a daily driver.

THEN I read more about the pricing, specs etc. How does Porsche think this model will do well in top spec form for $165k+ (let's all be honest, Porsche's base price is useless as one option box will tick the total much higher)

I daily drive a '16 E63 AMG Dadwagon - as a "family car", it is my favorite car ever. Huge power, 4Matic, comfortable, seats 5 nicely, huge storage space and even though I think looks are all subjective, sharp. The fact that no one knows what it is just makes it that much more for me. I honestly thought, "Well I love my GTS 991, maybe the daily could be the Turismo" but for the price tag, numbers and such I can't think of a reason to make a switch. Knowing that MB has a new model for this year following the revised E-AMG ups the current bar as well - 600hp, S-Class interior redesign bells and whistles

Knowing that Audi is contemplating the RS6 Avant, if you believe the rumors, heading state side in '18 - I see the Turismo falling well behind the curve. The Audi has been adorn as wagon chiefdom and unobtainable for us North American folks. The hype might actually be well worth the wait.

I suppose the only plus side is that wagons are seeming to be making a comeback? Silver lining I suppose.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:51 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

From what I understand the majority of Panamera buyers are still opting for the sedan.

I have ordered the Turbo wagon though. I will let you know my thoughts at some stage as I will definitely track it in Europe one delivery next year as well as some Alpine drives and Autobahn stuff. I did not go for the hybrid/
Old 09-25-2017, 07:19 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Another Turbo Sport Turismo order here. I drove Audi Avants for years - owned several S4's. I'd still be driving one if they hadn't stopped importing them.

I attach very little credibility to any claim that they'll bring the RS6 Avant to the US. Although anything is possible, I don't see it. They aren't selling any Avant at this point, but for the silly A4 "Allroad" which hardly sells. If they won't even bring in the A4 or S4 Avant, I just cannot see them bringing in an RS6 Avant.

By the time you get up into Turbo Sport Turismo/E63/RS6 country, issues of cost and practicality just about go out the window. If you're shopping in this category, it's just a question of which one pushes your buttons the hardest. Having had a couple of Panamera's in the past (4S and GTS) as well as presently driving an RS7, for me the choice was simple. I love the Panny. But every one of the cars on this list is an amazing vehicle.

FWIW, I've owned 13 Audis since 1986. They've been talking to some degree or another about a high performance Avant virtually the whole time. The S4 Avant is as far as they ever went, and they seem to be increasing the emphasis on their SUV line.

Realistically, I think it's a list of two - Panny and M-B. I just don't see Audi getting into the mix.

DMoore
'15 GT3
'16 RS7
'18 Panny Turbo ST... in February?
Old 09-26-2017, 02:36 AM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Where has anybody seen a rumor of the RS6 Avant coming here? I don't see it at all, but hope I'm wrong.

Agree about the pricing for the ST. Hard to justify the premium over the E63 wagon. I'm enjoying mine and thought of getting the Panny, but 4S money gets you a loaded E63 with basically all options and it may well outperform the Turbo. I just love the way the ST looks, just drop dead gorgeous.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:10 AM
Rallybagger
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by signes
Where has anybody seen a rumor of the RS6 Avant coming here? I don't see it at all, but hope I'm wrong.

Agree about the pricing for the ST. Hard to justify the premium over the E63 wagon. I'm enjoying mine and thought of getting the Panny, but 4S money gets you a loaded E63 with basically all options and it may well outperform the Turbo. I just love the way the ST looks, just drop dead gorgeous.
There was some chatter around March about a minimal chance the RS6 will make it across the ocean. Just reading the RS4 presser that it's staying out of the states closes that window I think

I do not understand why Audi does not do what MB does and make it a special order only, like the AMG Wagons. You cannot find one on the ground at MB dealers you specifically have to order it and wait. Makes the most sense to me really. If Porsche can be successful selling the ST at that price, Audi should think twice about opening up the "Special Order" window. Can't imagine the margin on those since they're planning to make 4 trim levels.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:03 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

I am very much aligned to DMoore...its not a purely economic decision. I thought the wagon was a superb concept and the production version is very close. Gotta try something new...
Old 09-27-2017, 01:23 AM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 29 Posts
Default A recent observation....

I took Euro Delivery on a 911 in June. I traveled 16 days in southern Germany and Austria. On the autobahn, the only cars that regularly passed me where station wagons. Not on or two, but 10 or 20 in succession. It was if there was a station wagon fest being held up the road, and these cars were late for it. With no SUVs or Mini-Vans to speak of, the go to fast hauler in Germany is the station wagon.

Did I mention they were all doing 200kph or higher?
Old 09-27-2017, 07:39 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

I have done a lot of Euro delivery including a couple of GT3RS, Wagons do indeed go quickly, though the Sport Turismo Turbo I ordered has only about 304 km/h top speed...not bad at all, but not amazing either...

I had a new V10 M6 years ago and drove it from BMW Munich up to Hartge where I had all the limiters removed....and it would cruise at well. over 300 on the autobahn

Quick Reply: Turbo Panamera Sport Turismo = :(