Porsche Innodrive Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 05:33 AM
thorfun
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Porsche Innodrive Issue?

Hi all,

anyone else have the PID on their car? I have it on mine and it's great but there have been a few instances where it slows down as it thinks the speed limit is less than it actually is.

Last night coming home late at night on a 40mph country road it twice thought it was on a 30mph road until it saw a 40mph sign and then corrected itself.

I guess it could be a mapping issue but that road has been 40mph for as long as i can remember!!

just wondered if anyone else had experienced this before i take it up with the dealer? it's not a major deal as i can simply use ACC instead but I'd prefer it to work as it's supposed to!
Old 07-26-2017, 06:05 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Thorfun,
I'm not sure what is causing your problem. I specifically didn't order the Innodrive because over here in the states almost all police allow 10 over so I always drive at that rate and it wouldn't work well for me.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:26 AM
hymo1200
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought you can adjust Innodrive settings in a way that it works with like +10 over the shown speed limits!?
Old 07-27-2017, 01:27 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I was not aware of any ability to adjust the Innodrive to +10 mph over posted speed? If that is true, then I might have considered it. I did get the Adaptive Cruise Control and really couldn't see much use for the Innodrive here in the U.S. Seems more oriented to the Autobahn where one minute you have unlimited speed and the next you are required to slow down significantly.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:42 PM
thorfun
Racer

Originally Posted by SaratogaLefty
I was not aware of any ability to adjust the Innodrive to +10 mph over posted speed? If that is true, then I might have considered it. I did get the Adaptive Cruise Control and really couldn't see much use for the Innodrive here in the U.S. Seems more oriented to the Autobahn where one minute you have unlimited speed and the next you are required to slow down significantly.
you can indeed adjust the speed on PID to what you want in 1mph increments, just like ACC. But, when you get to a new speed limit it adjusts to that new limit and you then have to adjust again. You can't tell it to always be a certain amount over the current speed limit and I'm not surprised! that would be a law suit waiting to happen.

What is is great about PID is in traffic it will keep the distance to the car in front (as per ACC) but will also steer for you and keep you in lane! Not sure if ACC does that but it works well with PID. A step closer to autonomous cars.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:19 PM
knowspin
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by thorfun

What is is great about PID is in traffic it will keep the distance to the car in front (as per ACC) but will also steer for you and keep you in lane! Not sure if ACC does that but it works well with PID. A step closer to autonomous cars.
We just ordered a new 2018 Panamera for my wife and I got the Assistance Package. I am curious about two things. When you are using it as you describe above, does the system shut off below a certain speed?

Also, can you use the system like ACC where you can set it for a certain speed and it will maintain it regardless of speed limit changes on the road?

Unfortunately the dealer had no cars in stock that had this option so we could test it out.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:07 PM
thorfun
Racer

Originally Posted by knowspin
We just ordered a new 2018 Panamera for my wife and I got the Assistance Package. I am curious about two things. When you are using it as you describe above, does the system shut off below a certain speed?

Also, can you use the system like ACC where you can set it for a certain speed and it will maintain it regardless of speed limit changes on the road?

Unfortunately the dealer had no cars in stock that had this option so we could test it out.
PID doesn't shut off below a speed. It continues to work in stop start traffic.

It doesn't maintain the speed like ACC and will always adjust up or down to the new speed limit.

BUT....don't despair....you can choose PID or ACC.

so you can choose which ever one you want when you want. Ordering PID gets you ACC as well rather than replacing it.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:45 PM
knowspin
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Great, thanks for the reply!
Old 07-28-2017, 06:14 PM
thorfun
Racer

Originally Posted by knowspin
Great, thanks for the reply!
No problem! Apart from the a few small issues I like PID a lot for the times I want to just cruise, often late at night after a long day. It really takes the stress out of driving.
The times it has glitched I've just turned it off until I've gotten onto a different road and it's been fine. I think for the relatively small uplift over ACC it's worth it.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:32 PM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 109 Posts

How good is the steering?

Does it maintain position between the lane markings? Or does it bounce between the lines like the Mercedes system?
Old 08-14-2017, 05:45 AM
thorfun
Racer

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
How good is the steering?

Does it maintain position between the lane markings? Or does it bounce between the lines like the Mercedes system?
it gets confused sometimes and seems to bounce between the lines, but mostly it maintains the position. i've not actually spent a lot of time in traffic so don't have many miles of testing on it. when i have used it i have noticed myself having to correct it sometimes as it seems to drift to one side of the other of the lane. but that always seems to be at the same point on a dual carriageway that eventually merges in to one lane. i've not tried it on a motorway in traffic yet. it might be better in that situation.

Quick Reply: Porsche Innodrive Issue?