Notices

1989 Toyota Supra ChumpCar build

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 09:07 AM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1989 Toyota Supra ChumpCar build

I hope this is the correct forum to describe my newest money pit. I did one ChumpCar race last year, in a rented seat, and I was hooked. I know I will never be able to afford PCA racing, so I thought this might be an affordable option.

Initially, I wanted to race a Porsche in ChumpCar, but the rules are heavily biased against any 6 cylinder 911 or 914. 912s are too expensive to buy, I'm not sure a 914 with a 4 cylinder VW engine would be durable enough (saw several Bugs self destruct early and often in the Sebring race), which left the 924s and 944s. Lots of people expressed doubts that the 924/944 power plant was durable enough for endurance racing, and rebuild would be expensive.

Next up, BMW, where the 325i has ruled due to favorable rules interpretations. All I could find that I could afford were 325e models.

Mustangs, Camaros........all I could find were too expensive or complete junk.

Buddy who races NASA Corvettes has an old 1983 Supra and he asked me if i wanted to go in on a build with him, so I said yes. He got bogged down in other projects and the car is still sitting in a field. So I went on a cheap Supra hunt and found this one for $1100.

It has a fairly new and strong motor and the interior is complete junk: perfect! Also has 16" 5 lug wheels which is a big improvement over the 1983's 14" 4 lug wheels.

I've had it stashed at work for 2 weeks while I cleared out a space for it at home. Today I brought the truck and trailer to tow it home (no tag), get it in the carport, and get it up on jackstands where I can start stripping it down. I will need to remove a lot of extraneous stuff, as well as install safety equipment, and check everything. Probably will not be able to race this year, as there just won't be enough time doing most of this by myself.

So, to my friends who I had mentioned ChumpCar racing to: Sorry. But it is still in the works, and I will try to post updates so you can see what you will be driving eventually.

Last edited by SiberianDVM; 11-09-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:10 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

looking forward to seeing what you do with it!
Old 01-14-2014, 01:20 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dino V
looking forward to seeing what you do with it!
Well, I just weighed it on the truck scales at work. With me in it and an almost empty tank of gas, it was 3725 lbs!!!!! Both of us are going on a diet!!
Old 01-19-2014, 08:11 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Interior was pretty ratty and smelly so eventually the gutting I gave it this weekend will be an improvement. Right now it just looks pathetic.

The powered drivers seat alone weighed over 100 lbs! I filled up an entire long bed PU with interior parts, estimated at 500 lbs. Glad the GF still had her dumpster.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:14 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Got her up on jackstands, wheels removed so I can start doing an inspection. Most of the parts seem to be there, but I think these brakes may need a little work..............a little pressure washing may be in order, too.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:53 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

I think I figured out why my speedometer doesn't work:

Old 01-22-2014, 03:55 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Gauge faces PO installed. I think I'll remove them and go with the basic black that's underneath:

Old 01-28-2014, 02:40 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Spent the weekend pulling the struts and springs. This car came with TEMS, an electronically adjustable shock absorber system, but I replaced all of the shocks with standard OEM replacement KYGs. Also cut the stock coil springs a bit to lower and compensate for some of the weight I took out. Not what we would do to our Porsches, but these are ChumpCar rules.

Have new drop links for the sway bars on order. The rest of the suspension looks in surprisingly good shape.

Fixed the oil pressure gauge with a new sending unit, and new Monroe hood struts now keep the hood from falling on my head. Fixed maladjusted clutch pedal. Ordered some new Bridgestone RE-11s. Ordered new rotors, calipers, and pads.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:29 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Removed the front bumper cover to have some working space. Removed A/C compressor and engine bay A/C hoses. Re-did the rear springs, this time with modified Spring-Lox to hold them on the perches. Picked up the newly mounted RE-11A tires. Replaced the speedometer cable.

Doesn't sound like much, but when you're working by yourself, it felt like a lot. I'm beat.

Last edited by SiberianDVM; 02-03-2014 at 12:09 PM.

Quick Reply: 1989 Toyota Supra ChumpCar build