Notices

Acura NSX (1990-2005) overpriced?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 12:41 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Acura NSX (1990-2005) overpriced?

I've had my RSX Type S for 5 years and it's probably the most reliable car I have ever owned. Naturally, I'm thinking of trading it. The Acura dealership has been after me for years to sell it to them and they are offering $2000 over blue book value for a daily driver that has 125,000 miles on it. So I am considering it.

But then what would I drive to work?

The M3 is fast, relatively safe, but is not near as reliable. Would definitely need a backup car.

The 911 could be converted back to a fun street car just by taking out the front half of the roll cage, and putting the sport seats back in, but has no A/C. Could function as a backup car.

But then what would I drive on the track?

A perfect opportunity to buy somebody's already built track car! The black 993 currently on Rennlist comes to mind.

Or, I could keep the 911 on the track, and buy a used NSX as a backup DD and fun car, which is what I really would like to do. Only trouble is, they are so darned expensive. $50-70k for a 2002 to 2005 model with low miles. For that kind of money, I could get a very nice Cayman S or 996 and have money left over for an IMS upgrade, and for a few dollars more, maybe even a 996 GT3.

That NSX would look way cool, though.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:27 PM
sca037
Rennlist Member

The early NSX's are done depreciating, and in fact are starting to climb.
The late (2002-2005) ones are starting to bottom out now, but since their import numbers into the US were so low (a few hundred per year instead of a few thousand) will always command a premium.
I believe that a good NSX is an excellent place to park some cash, you could probably play with it as your street toy for a few years and sell it with at the very least no depreciation hit.

We have two ;^D
Brian
Old 11-01-2013, 03:56 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for responding. I would love to have one, I am just having a hard time wrapping my head around the cost. I'll go by the Acura dealership and ask them to look around for one; it will give them something to do.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:14 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with Brian, the earlier cars are a relative bargain, and aren't likely to depreciate much.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:15 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I love my NSX but wouldn't consider one that wasn't supercharged. I test drove a bone stock 1991 NSX back in the day and the power is extremely underwhelming. The supercharger helps give the the car the kick it should have had to begin with.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:14 PM
sca037
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SoloRacer
I love my NSX but wouldn't consider one that wasn't supercharged. I test drove a bone stock 1991 NSX back in the day and the power is extremely underwhelming. The supercharger helps give the car the kick it should have had to begin with.
Our stock early (1992) car benefitted greatly from a couple easy mods to the exhaust system.
It turns out that at the time, the Japanese had an agreement (for tax reasons?) to not make a car that made over 300hp.
If you remove the early (1991-1997) cast iron boat anchor exhaust manifolds with the later (1998+) factory tubular units you saved lots of weight and gained like 15 free HP.

I agree 100% that the way the chassis and engine was designed, it could be interpreted as slightly "underwhelming" at 270 crank hp.
Even so, consider at the time how much it made other marques scramble to make their stuff better ;^D
The NSX can easily handle 400whp on stock internals, which vaults it to near supercar status right there.
Learn more about such things at www.nsxprime.com
(I'm SCA037 there too ;-)

Brian

Quick Reply: Acura NSX (1990-2005) overpriced?