Notices

The "Red Herring"

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 05:36 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation The "Red Herring"

Sure it is not as pretty but at 2.1 it sure makes the TTS look slow…

Let's see if it happens.

http://ninemsn.carsales.com.au/news/...mo-tease-39953
Old 11-15-2013, 06:01 PM
Love_Tacos_911
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Isn't this the 991 TTS forum? Pretty sure the 16 year olds have a forum for their cars as well.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:21 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 331 Likes on 219 Posts

Yawn,....I'm betting it will be a ringer like the rest. Not sure what it will look like, but I would think it's still trying to outrun ugly. Bring it on though....
Old 11-15-2013, 06:57 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by 991Turbo_S
Isn't this the 991 TTS forum? Pretty sure the 16 year olds have a forum for their cars as well.
Being a Turbo owner myself and all bar a 99tts purchaser if find that a rather strange response which indicts certain grown ups here can't handle any competition. So I very much question the 16 year old remark and suggest the shoe belongs on the other foot.

Are you suggesting that conversation should be restricted purely to the 99tts car itself and, if so where does it say that in the rules here?

On other 99tts forums other types of similarly performing vehicles such as Maclarens and Ferraris have made their way into discussion as contenders for TTS….or are you somehow suggesting a GTR is not a worthy contender? Personally i see it as very much a contender. May not be as attractive in its current form but there is no disputing its performance credentials least of all practicality. Anyway...
Old 11-15-2013, 07:02 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
Yawn,....I'm betting it will be a ringer like the rest. Not sure what it will look like, but I would think it's still trying to outrun ugly. Bring it on though....
Agree it is not everyones cup of tea in its current design form but from what i understand the body is up for a complete redesign. I recall seeing some recent renderings which appear to offer a vast improvement. But no disputing Nissan continues to up the ante in the performance stakes regardless of 911's efforts…..and for a whole lot less. I understand that grates with certain Porsche owners but fact is Nissan can afford to make a loss on one car with so many other highly profitable units in their line up. I find the irony in Nissans news link that Porsche releases its brand new TTS flagship only to have its thunder once again stolen by a cheaper car.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:21 PM
NorthvilleStig
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having done the Japanese circuit in my 20s with RX7s and 300zxs I didn't even feel the need to test drive this one ... I think the 911 is in a completely different market ... I feel I have personally just grown up (and out) of those makes ... It's time for a bit more refinement (WITH the blinding speed)!
Old 11-15-2013, 09:11 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by NorthvilleStig
Having done the Japanese circuit in my 20s with RX7s and 300zxs I didn't even feel the need to test drive this one ... I think the 911 is in a completely different market ... I feel I have personally just grown up (and out) of those makes ... It's time for a bit more refinement (WITH the blinding speed)!
As have I, but nothing stays the same forever and demographics and mindsets do change along the way. Being a multiple Porsche owner for the past 20 years I'm probably not likely to swap my turbo for a GTR unless given a compelling reason to do so. I personally couldn't say id draw upon maturity or being more grown up as a reason to not to own something other than a Porsche. You'd be surprised just how many Porsche owners, and older ones at that, who have swapped a 911 Turbo for a GTR. Maybe you or I may not be "one of those guys" to do so, but to suggest the GTR is an immature alternative is being a bit indulgent imho….and dare I say somewhat snobbish (no offence).

I've heard it often said on these forums that these two cars should not be compared yet in reality there are a lot of similarities between the two, hence why even the journos continue to mention both in the same breath on most occasions.

Again the irony with the article is Nissan calls Porsche out in an indirect way over the performance credentials of their new 991tts. It will be interesting to see what eventually materialises in their new car. It may shock a few Porsche owners i would suspect.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:39 AM
NorthvilleStig
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I guess it is a bit snobbish ... But I am not going to drive a Nissan again no matter how great it is. This all comes down to personal preferences really. If you try to argue things like $/hp or whatever like that ... It becomes a very sterile argument. Passion for something is where it's at.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:45 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by NorthvilleStig
Yeah I guess it is a bit snobbish ... But I am not going to drive a Nissan again no matter how great it is. This all comes down to personal preferences really. If you try to argue things like $/hp or whatever like that ... It becomes a very sterile argument. Passion for something is where it's at.
I feel much the same. Frankly there would have to be some seriously dramatic changes to the physicality of a GTR to get me back into one. But I have learned to never say never. I saw the first 991tt in the flesh just a couple of days ago and as nice as it was it wasn't "wow" as what i had expected but i will reserve judgement when i drive it next week.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:10 AM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 331 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
Agree it is not everyones cup of tea in its current design form but from what i understand the body is up for a complete redesign. I recall seeing some recent renderings which appear to offer a vast improvement. But no disputing Nissan continues to up the ante in the performance stakes regardless of 911's efforts…..and for a whole lot less. I understand that grates with certain Porsche owners but fact is Nissan can afford to make a loss on one car with so many other highly profitable units in their line up. I find the irony in Nissans news link that Porsche releases its brand new TTS flagship only to have its thunder once again stolen by a cheaper car.

Agree it will be interesting to see what Nissan comes up with as far as design is concerned.

I would disagree with you on the "Nissan can afford to make a loss on one car with so many other highly profitable units in their line up." Now I could be wrong as I don't follow it real close, but every article I have read in the past year or two has talked about how poorly Nissan is doing against the competition at least in the US. Most of their cars (and and trucks) are not very competitive any longer against Toyota or even US brands now. Both Hyundai & Kia have plain stole Nissan's bread and butter the last 10 years. They grossly missed the full and compact size truck market the last 10 years, the once mighty Maxima and Sentra are barely seen now, the only thing I see made by them on the road are some Altimas (mostly old ones) and maybe a Z now and then,....nothing else. From what I have seen their US market share has dived.

I don't know how Nissan is doing abroad and I know they have many divisions, but the fact is in the US they are basically an afterthought IMO. So instead of trying to chase Porsche's tail (a car company that has hit many home runs recently and is very profitable) maybe they should concentrate on core business and then the toys???.....like Toyota. Toyota realized a long time ago a Supra was not doing them any good in the showroom or the bottom line. The LFA pretty much came and went and was outclassed very quickly.

If I were Nissan I'd worry a lot less about Porsche and figure out how to actually sell something else in the US and gain some market share back. A GTR won't do much for profits (quite the reverse) unless they can figure out how to sell something else.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:53 AM
Love_Tacos_911
Instructor

Originally Posted by speed21
Being a Turbo owner myself and all bar a 99tts purchaser if find that a rather strange response which indicts certain grown ups here can't handle any competition. So I very much question the 16 year old remark and suggest the shoe belongs on the other foot.

Are you suggesting that conversation should be restricted purely to the 99tts car itself and, if so where does it say that in the rules here?

On other 99tts forums other types of similarly performing vehicles such as Maclarens and Ferraris have made their way into discussion as contenders for TTS….or are you somehow suggesting a GTR is not a worthy contender? Personally i see it as very much a contender. May not be as attractive in its current form but there is no disputing its performance credentials least of all practicality. Anyway...
The GTR is a force to be reckoned with no doubt about it. Performance and price wise, it's an amazing car. I have 'almost' purchased one a few times but could never get over the fact that it's a Nissan, and no matter the performance, it's not in the same 'class' (if you will) as a higher end car (like my former Gallardo).

If I wanted a car to DD and beat the snot out of, it would be the GTR (I even looked into the Alpha mods for it). I respect it, and it is growing on me.

My remark could be seen as being harsh, but I assure you when it was typed, it was not meant to be a stinger.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:40 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I dislike seeing the GTRs on track, especially when their owners slap on Hoosiers. The vast majority of them take bad lines but the cars' safety electronics are superb and keep them on track at a very fast pace. Most of the GTR owners I ran into think they are superb drivers. I would only have respect for this car or its drivers if they drive with the nannies off. That's what separates drivers.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:04 PM
Love_Tacos_911
Instructor

Here is another #ZeroCompetition video released. Tomorrow is Nissan's press release.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:40 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
Agree it will be interesting to see what Nissan comes up with as far as design is concerned.

I would disagree with you on the "Nissan can afford to make a loss on one car with so many other highly profitable units in their line up." Now I could be wrong as I don't follow it real close, but every article I have read in the past year or two has talked about how poorly Nissan is doing against the competition at least in the US. Most of their cars (and and trucks) are not very competitive any longer against Toyota or even US brands now. Both Hyundai & Kia have plain stole Nissan's bread and butter the last 10 years. They grossly missed the full and compact size truck market the last 10 years, the once mighty Maxima and Sentra are barely seen now, the only thing I see made by them on the road are some Altimas (mostly old ones) and maybe a Z now and then,....nothing else. From what I have seen their US market share has dived.

I don't know how Nissan is doing abroad and I know they have many divisions, but the fact is in the US they are basically an afterthought IMO. So instead of trying to chase Porsche's tail (a car company that has hit many home runs recently and is very profitable) maybe they should concentrate on core business and then the toys???.....like Toyota. Toyota realized a long time ago a Supra was not doing them any good in the showroom or the bottom line. The LFA pretty much came and went and was outclassed very quickly.

If I were Nissan I'd worry a lot less about Porsche and figure out how to actually sell something else in the US and gain some market share back. A GTR won't do much for profits (quite the reverse) unless they can figure out how to sell something else.
From a global position they are a very highly profitable outfit if this article is correct..

http://www.wikinvest.com/stock/Nissan_Motor_(NSANY)

That would be wishful thinking for Porsche and its hard core customers but I dont think Nissan are worrying about anything by looks of it. Nissan evidently appears to be having a lot of fun with the GTR.....and in more ways than one.

Lets wait and see what their new game changer is going to bring to the table.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:46 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by 991Turbo_S
The GTR is a force to be reckoned with no doubt about it. Performance and price wise, it's an amazing car. I have 'almost' purchased one a few times but could never get over the fact that it's a Nissan, and no matter the performance, it's not in the same 'class' (if you will) as a higher end car (like my former Gallardo).

If I wanted a car to DD and beat the snot out of, it would be the GTR (I even looked into the Alpha mods for it). I respect it, and it is growing on me.

My remark could be seen as being harsh, but I assure you when it was typed, it was not meant to be a stinger.
The pen is often found to be (surprisingly and unintentionally) mightier than the sword but no hard feelings my end .

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
I dislike seeing the GTRs on track, especially when their owners slap on Hoosiers. The vast majority of them take bad lines but the cars' safety electronics are superb and keep them on track at a very fast pace. Most of the GTR owners I ran into think they are superb drivers. I would only have respect for this car or its drivers if they drive with the nannies off. That's what separates drivers.
That could be said from either side of the fence though.....but i do hear you that the GTR is an easier and more forgiving car to punt hard.....although from all reviews so far I think new 991tts also falls into much the same catagory now so....

But yes sometimes the brilliance or superiority of the car can bring out the hero a bit too much in some, and that can grate for sure.

Quick Reply: The "Red Herring"