E350 or 5 Series ? ......

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 03:46 AM
Jaan
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by daddyscar
Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
New A6 is far better than both in my opinion.
+1 and it's the best looking too. I really don't like the odd looking rear wheel arch hip Mercedes have been forcing onto every model. The current BMW designs are still an evolutionary step from the Bangle era, move on already. Seems like top auto makers get cursed with bad design philosophies . . . MB, BMW, Honda. Audi and Kia are making great looking cars.
It's going to be a timeless design as the 124's were. Buying a car for the way it looks is like buying a house because of a paint job. Save for the 911's, Porsche doesn't put to production cars that are visually awe-in-amazement. The design-&-engineering is what keeps the cult-like trend. The attention to details in driving dynamics. No comments upon the styling of the BMW's. The only BMW that ever appealed to me visually was the E39; no doubt: it looks like a proper car. If its well built is another matter entirely.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:55 AM
Jaan
Track Day

Originally Posted by boolala
On my fifth, and probably last, MB. Very boring cars. I've had the whole series C, E, S, SL. No AMG models. Next time I'll downsize form the S class into either an A6 or BMW 5 series.

Unless someone talks me out of it.
Regular MB's are executive cars. The AMG's are different. You cannot offer your current perception to the AMG models. How different? Obvious and extremely different: enormous torque and unMerc-like voraciousness. It'll rage if tempted and becomes docile when the "attention" is no longer needed.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:01 AM
tkrtape12
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

E350 sport package much more fun....Audi A6 great choiCe also but make sure you get good coverage... GL
Old 08-17-2012, 04:54 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Get the 5 Series....just make sure it's not that gay hatch back looking piece.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:19 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

I had two leased cars coming due so I was in the market and tested just about everything.

End of May I leased a new E350 4matic with Sport package, Panoramic roof, P1 package, etc. This is our 4th Benz and it is great driving car. A tank! A great car and my wife just loves it.

End of June, I leased a new 535 x drive. Lots of options but I avoided the sport package as the 19 inch runflats and NYC potholes make the ride and tire replacements a problem. This is my 8th BMW and our 2010 535 lease ended. Love this car.

I am asked frequently which one I like better. I would lean towards the BMW for the driving experience but its like chocolate and vanilla ice cream. Both are great cars and the engineering is impressive. You will not go wrong with either one. If you are into pure luxury, the Benz is the choice. If you want more of a driving experience, the BMW.

Mark
Old 08-17-2012, 09:42 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JW911
I considered them both, and bought an Audi A6. It blew them both away. Much faster, better handling, much better technology. No contest.
+1 - A6 is probably a bit too expensive for what it is, but it is a good car, much better than anything in comparable segment from BMW or others. if you can get close to $100k budget - look at panamera too, you may be surprised.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:00 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaan
Regular MB's are executive cars. The AMG's are different. You cannot offer your current perception to the AMG models. How different? Obvious and extremely different: enormous torque and unMerc-like voraciousness. It'll rage if tempted and becomes docile when the "attention" is no longer needed.
what total and utter bull$hit. MB has totally watered down and bastardized the the once AWESOME AMG brand.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:02 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LENELSA
Looking for new sedan for wifey which I might drive once in a while.

Any thoughts ????
Since this is a Porsche forum i would vote for the Panny, if you can get over the way it looks. IMO its the best DRIVING Sedan. Of course its also more $$$.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:45 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
Since this is a Porsche forum i would vote for the Panny, if you can get over the way it looks. IMO its the best DRIVING Sedan. Of course its also more $$$.

Quite a bit more dollars. I am sure the Panamera is a great driving machine. Re read OP, and the car is for the "wifey" and he will drive it once in a while.

And the Panny has one ugly profile. What were they thinking? It makes the Bangle butt look attractive.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:07 PM
Jaan
Track Day

Originally Posted by kosmo
what total and utter bull$hit. MB has totally watered down and bastardized the the once AWESOME AMG brand.
That is what you think. Watered down? Another opinion. A large displacement high-rev atmospheric aspirated V8 does not sound like it has been watered-down. This is a first ever and the only and the subsidiary understanding (design science) is not mainstream. As an MB, it meets the comfort requirement. A factor also has to be considered: it is a family sedan with integrated performance. It is not a race car, though it is a Formula One derived vehicle. In your defense of watered-down, isn't Porsche and BMW taking MB's path? The 911 use to have a pure sport chassis and suspension-tuning. It is something else today with electric steering. The 5 Series has grown up also. It's softer than it use to be. It is the market and the masses that can afford it want this taste. The enthusiast are a small fraction of a percentage and a fraction of the small fraction cannot be swayed by unjustifiable advancements.

It is by no means on the same category in terms of performance with the regular models. The difference is huge. Drive one - it is not the same.

Quality-control is another issue that is completely isolated from performance. AMG's are not boring cars.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:10 PM
LENELSA
Advanced

I'm leaning towards the 535i sedan.
Can't beat the free maintenance .
Old 08-19-2012, 04:18 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

My wife wants to go back to the SUV style so we are looking and have it down to just the Cayenne and the MB ML 350.

Having said that, she has been in an Infiniti M37S for the past couple of years. It is the best car we have had hands down. It is fast, it is pretty, it is roomy, it is comfortable, it is nice inside too, and ours is loaded with all the options.

Other than gas, oil . and tires it has needed nothing except a windshield wiper and a cabin air filter. Her 37S hauls too, so the V8 has got to throw some smoke.

I have been in quite a few 5's and E's but the Infinti wins for us. You might meet the Infiniti service manager when you leave because you sure wont be seeing him a lot with this model.

I like Porsche. And I like German cars, but the Infiniti M Series one covers them both to me. If we were in for a car sedan style I would drive in with this one, and drive out with a new one.

Quick Reply: E350 or 5 Series ? ......