Notices

Harris on the MP4-12C

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 11:42 AM
ethel19
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek
In December I got an opportunity to drive the McLaren, then immediately afterwards I drove the F458 (my brother's car). My opinion is that CH's take on the MP4 is spot on - the McLaren is truly an everyday supercar.

BUT, when I got behind the wheel of the Ferrari, the difference in character between 'supercar' and 'sportscar' became clear. The 458 feels more alive, more tactile, more mischievous from behind the wheel. Not sure which weighs less, but the Fezza feels lighter on its toes, its chassis more alert and sparkly.

At low speed the Ferrari brakes are beautifully linear and easy to modulate. In contrast, I found the McLaren brakes to be truculent and jerky at in-town speeds. And then there's steering feel. Maybe it's just because my everyday car is a 996 GT3 RS (my other car being a Lotus Exige), but I found the McLaren's steering totally lacking in feel at everyday speeds. It's all perfectly weighted and accurate but it just doesn't connect your nerve endings to the contact patches. The Ferrari wheel feels fizzy and alive by comparison (although neither have as much feel as either of my cars).

So, IMO, the Ferrari is superior to the McLaren in terms of sportiness. And I fail to see where it lags the MP12 for ease of use around town. My nickel would go to the Ferrari for sure.

But the McLaren does have an air of sophistication that some people might prefer. And if it's torque that gets you excited, the MP4 wins hands down. It will pin you hard in your seat and hold you there until you let off the gas, no matter what gear you're in. Awesome engine!

Here is a vid I put together from that day. Just a few clips from my iPhone, so don't expect much:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UAzZm9UYLE

Thanks so much for the video. Not only the review on the cars but also we got to go on a trip to South Africa!!
Old 02-26-2012, 03:22 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ethel, glad you enjoyed the vid.

BTW, Sedona is one of my favorite places on this planet. Do you live there? Awesome!
Old 02-26-2012, 04:07 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek
In December I got an opportunity to drive the McLaren, then immediately afterwards I drove the F458 (my brother's car). My opinion is that CH's take on the MP4 is spot on - the McLaren is truly an everyday supercar.

BUT, when I got behind the wheel of the Ferrari, the difference in character between 'supercar' and 'sportscar' became clear. The 458 feels more alive, more tactile, more mischievous from behind the wheel. Not sure which weighs less, but the Fezza feels lighter on its toes, its chassis more alert and sparkly.

At low speed the Ferrari brakes are beautifully linear and easy to modulate. In contrast, I found the McLaren brakes to be truculent and jerky at in-town speeds. And then there's steering feel. Maybe it's just because my everyday car is a 996 GT3 RS (my other car being a Lotus Exige), but I found the McLaren's steering totally lacking in feel at everyday speeds. It's all perfectly weighted and accurate but it just doesn't connect your nerve endings to the contact patches. The Ferrari wheel feels fizzy and alive by comparison (although neither have as much feel as either of my cars).

So, IMO, the Ferrari is superior to the McLaren in terms of sportiness. And I fail to see where it lags the MP12 for ease of use around town. My nickel would go to the Ferrari for sure.

But the McLaren does have an air of sophistication that some people might prefer. And if it's torque that gets you excited, the MP4 wins hands down. It will pin you hard in your seat and hold you there until you let off the gas, no matter what gear you're in. Awesome engine!

Here is a vid I put together from that day. Just a few clips from my iPhone, so don't expect much:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UAzZm9UYLE
Thanks for the video.

I've noticed over the years, and many back-to-back drives on road and on familiar tracks, no holds barred, that the subjective comparison is unreliable -- minor changes in tire pressure, tire condition, road conditions and especially suspension alignment, transform cars from Jekyll to Hyde and back. A seemingly "lighter" car might be just driven at speeds that favor the gearing and torque curve. Even the subliminal lag of the 12C forced induction can feel through the seat of the drivers' pants as if there's an unwelcome 200lb passenger somewhere. A seemingly more "alive" car can benefit from better corner weight (in the mechanical preparation or in the weight of an unaccompanied driver or a near empty fuel tank.) Add two PSI to all four tires or tighten the rear sway one notch and a 911 can be transformed. A thicker steering wheel in larger hands can help feel the road. I imagine you and most drivers with track experience and spending time reading this GT3 forum know the score.

Journalists try to write around these kinds of compromises (some with far greater success than others) but it's all subjection and significant influences can be external to the given car. On another day, perhaps after more seat time in the 12C, the qualitative comparisons would be different. Some cars "grow" on you, some cars, well "familiarity breeds contempt." : ) The central theme of Harris and his "getting to know you" piece was "look past the outer layers and there's a relationship that improves with time, not disappoints." I hope that a year from now we are all secretly living yet another alternate, virtual existence on another forum where 12C devotees extol the virtues and genius of McLaren ... hopefully that challenge will shake Porsche out of their complacency and avoid the worst case scenario of a 3200lb RS arriving with claims of it being easier to drive, more comfortable and with increased rear leg room. For shame!

Quick Reply: Harris on the MP4-12C