Notices

Anyone driving a C6 Vette ?

Old 02-22-2012, 09:39 AM
pkt1213
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lart951
I dont know guys but either Im gone in full retard mode or something is wrong with the math, a 3L conversion w 16V runs in the 30K + a, full rebuild is around 8k, so if a ls swap is in the 12K plus why do people still dumping money in their 4cyl 951's?
just depends on what you like. There's a rush when the turbo spools and pushes you back in your seat, but it's also hard to argue with the low down torque from a V8.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:59 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

I wish I liked Corvettes, it'd be easy to have an open car with a powerful V8 that handled decently if I did.

The LS swap looks like a better alternative to me because I like the 944/968 chassis but want good power and good torque. The supercharger whine is a bit irritating with the top down and the turbo options are expensive and reliability becomes more of a concern. I have not found another option that I like which fits in my budget.

I think the issue for most people building a 4 cylinder is that the cost is high and it all comes at once compared to incrementally upgrading. Downtime is also an issue for some. Others, their moms won't let them.

Cost is a factor, I have seen lots of numbers. It's not hard to get to $10K so I feel $15K is a reasonable budget. Most car project math suggests doubling the conservative estimate but in this case I only added 50%.

$4k - LS1 motor with freshening
$4k - Swap parts
$2k - labor (pay it or earn it)

Some people will then need a 951 LSD trans, some may need other upgrades.

I have heard tell of $1500 or even sub $1000 complete LS1 engines but I have not seen one myself. $2800 seems to be the common asking price here for a complete pullout runner with harness, ECU, accessories, etc.

For a track car a Corvette might be smarter unless you already have a lot of money invested in a 944 chassis. For the street, lots of factors come into play. Looks, interior, ride comfort, etc. I was put off by puffy/melty interior bits, nasty FL or EL displays and lots of memories of cheap GM rental cars coming back. The C6 is better but they still made the steering wheel look like a fat goalie with his head chopped off.

-Joel.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:35 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

I would like to hear from the guys that have done the swap and get an average of the total cost.

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
I wish I liked Corvettes, it'd be easy to have an open car with a powerful V8 that handled decently if I did.

The LS swap looks like a better alternative to me because I like the 944/968 chassis but want good power and good torque. The supercharger whine is a bit irritating with the top down and the turbo options are expensive and reliability becomes more of a concern. I have not found another option that I like which fits in my budget.

I think the issue for most people building a 4 cylinder is that the cost is high and it all comes at once compared to incrementally upgrading. Downtime is also an issue for some. Others, their moms won't let them.

Cost is a factor, I have seen lots of numbers. It's not hard to get to $10K so I feel $15K is a reasonable budget. Most car project math suggests doubling the conservative estimate but in this case I only added 50%.

$4k - LS1 motor with freshening
$4k - Swap parts
$2k - labor (pay it or earn it)

Some people will then need a 951 LSD trans, some may need other upgrades.

I have heard tell of $1500 or even sub $1000 complete LS1 engines but I have not seen one myself. $2800 seems to be the common asking price here for a complete pullout runner with harness, ECU, accessories, etc.

For a track car a Corvette might be smarter unless you already have a lot of money invested in a 944 chassis. For the street, lots of factors come into play. Looks, interior, ride comfort, etc. I was put off by puffy/melty interior bits, nasty FL or EL displays and lots of memories of cheap GM rental cars coming back. The C6 is better but they still made the steering wheel look like a fat goalie with his head chopped off.

-Joel.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:47 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 323 Posts

Chris White wanted $8k to rebuild my turbo motor into a 3l (to get me the power I wanted for time trials reliably) and that was just for the short block. Add in another $500 to freshen the head, then labor to assemble along with gaskets, etc then labor to install. Then add in another $1500 for the larger turbo I'd need, plus another $1000-1500 for the new tune. $15k easy.

I was tied to my chassis, I'd already spent a bunch of money on the custom welded rollbar, seats, harnesses, etc, etc. Otherwise I probably would've just parted the entire car out.

I bought my LS1 with 60k miles on it with the ECU, harness and all accessories for $2800. TPC charged me $3500 in labor. There were some extraneous parts I bought since the car was a track car and I did some maintenance like replace the steering rack while the motor was out. All told I spent $13k for the labor, motor, swap parts and all the maintenance. Some of it isn't really part of the swap and you don't need to do some of the stuff I did if you're not building a track car. So most people wouldn't spend as much as I did.

Then I sold $7k worth of turbo parts off the car I didn't need, so the swap cost me $6k out of pocket. I'm making the power I need for my time trial class reliably, on street gas, all day long. The swap is great, so much better than dealing with the stock motor...
Old 02-22-2012, 02:32 PM
4WHLDRFTN
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yup,,,, bought a new g.s. 2010, had it 7wks,,that was enough.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:36 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 323 Posts

That $500 for the LM4 include the necessary F body brackets and accessories? I might have gone that route had I known it, but I do like the extra displacement the LS1 has...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone driving a C6 Vette ?