Notices

Advice request - wagon, SUV???

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 08:32 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 62 Posts

The suggestions for other cars are always interesting here. If you google search "XC70" comparison, an Automobile mag link suggests the A4 avant, BWM 328 wagon, and Cadillac CTS-V as they have the most similar size and price. On the 997 rennlist forum the only wagon getting consistent suggestions is the A4 avant which is the only car I would pick from the list. What about the E350 4matic wagon? The Q5 is also recommended but the X3 and GLK are ignored. The X5, Q7, Cayenne and GL are mentioned but not the ML.

If it were me I'd just let her get another Volvo. If there is anything she's not happy with on the car you picked out, than it's your fault!

Last edited by daddyscar; 01-02-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:43 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by daddyscar
If it were me I'd just let her get another Volvo. If there is anything she's not happy with on the car you picked out, than it's your fault!
+1 to that!

Volvo is a good car anyways, it's not like she's buying a Kia!
Old 01-02-2012, 09:58 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
+1 to that!

Volvo is a good car anyways, it's not like she's buying a Kia!
Careful. The Kia might be better! They've come a long ways.

I had a 94 Volvo 850 turbo wagon and loved it. But even then they weren't built very tough (it was made in Belgium). I don't think I'd buy another one myself. The A4 Avant, to me, is a winner. For something a little smaller, I'm considering a Jetta Sportwagen TDI, with 42 mpg hwy.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:29 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default if your not a brand hoar

The Mazda CX9 Grand Touring (must be the GT model) is a great SUV, sporty, handles nice, interior is top notch, lots of space, great options, rolls stock on 20's, dual exhaust, amazing repair record and has won many years in a row as best SUV. A great bang for the buck SUV with a TON of space... sold the wives Land Cruiser and got into one of these for her and she could not be happier.... she looked at rovers, land cruisers, MB, etc... and after test driving she loved the way the Mazda drove, felt, etc ...had it now 2 years and very pleased.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:37 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by triode
I would try to talk her into the Caddy CTS-V wagon. 556 HP and a stick!
A co-worker got one 3 months ago. He loves the HP but had to hire a lawyer to help with all the recent tickets.

My wife went from BMW 540i to x5 to Lexus GX470(in '09). So far the GX has been rock solid electrically and mechanically... compared to the 540i and x5, however, I call it the geriatric wagon/SUV but I think it's a keeper for us. More off road capability then our old 4Runner... but I doubt it will ever see dirt. It serves it's purpose as a great luxo people mover for 5 adults + 2 munchkins in the fold down seats in back. Oh yeah, it also lowers itself when you park for her grocery runs.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:32 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
A co-worker got one 3 months ago. He loves the HP but had to hire a lawyer to help with all the recent tickets.

My wife went from BMW 540i to x5 to Lexus GX470(in '09). So far the GX has been rock solid electrically and mechanically... compared to the 540i and x5, however, I call it the geriatric wagon/SUV but I think it's a keeper for us. More off road capability then our old 4Runner... but I doubt it will ever see dirt. It serves it's purpose as a great luxo people mover for 5 adults + 2 munchkins in the fold down seats in back. Oh yeah, it also lowers itself when you park for her grocery runs.
I can relate to that ^! Years ago my wife wanted an Isuzu Rodeo, not for "off roading" but because it was "cute!" Her idea of "off roading" was to short cut the turn into the driveway and drive on the grass!
Old 01-03-2012, 02:14 PM
duke92
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were very concerned with safety when we made a similar purchase decision last year. We had the added challenge of teaching my then 15 year old to drive and planned to give it to him when he began driving.

I found this site several years ago. http://www.informedforlife.org/demos...011-12risk.pdf Attempts to predict the safest vehicles based on stability control, star crash ratings, and weight. Predictions match published death rates fairly well. Interesting read. One criticism is they don't have ratings for some of the more expensive vehicles.

In the end we chose an Acura MDX. It is not a Cayenne nor a Mercedes but a great all-rounder, seats 7 and has been problem free. My business partner drove it once and bought one too.

Best of luck.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:16 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

My wife just took delivery of her new SUV two days before Christmas. We looked at just about everything from MB, BMW, Porsche, Audi, Volvo, Lexus, Infiniti and Acura.

My wife likes the tall seating position of an SUV, but prefers smaller, lighter, and sportier feeling cars. The Audi Q5 2.0T was her pick and we couldn't be happier with it. The Q5 is in high demand and dealers don't seem to have many in stock, if any. We ordered ours to get the exact options we wanted. It was worth the wait. (Albeit, we're less than two weeks into ownership, so it's still in that honeymoon period.)
Old 01-03-2012, 03:13 PM
SKYKING
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in the exact same position as you. I had been driving Volvo wagons for the past 20 years. My most recent one was the V70R. When it approached 100,000 miles I started looking around. BMW does not make a wagon in the 5 series, Audi makes the A6 Avant but was in a model year change, Mercedes just introduced the # 350 series and Volvo stopped importing the V70R. They only will be importing the V70XC.
After a number of Mercedes ML and BMW X5s I was done with SUVs.
I ordered a 2011 Mercedes E350 4matic and love it. More cargo space than the SUVs and rides like a car. I suggest your wife test drive one and she will be sold.
Good Luck and Cheers
Old 01-03-2012, 03:48 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by duke92
We were very concerned with safety when we made a similar purchase decision last year. Attempts to predict the safest vehicles based on stability control, star crash ratings, and weight. Predictions match published death rates fairly well.
What has always seemed a curiously American viewpoint to me is the emphasis on a vehicle's propensity to withstand a crash rather than avoid a crash. A small, nimble vehicle - alertly driven - will avoid many otherwise disastrous impacts.

Of course this doesn't help in a truly unavoidable head-on...
Old 01-03-2012, 04:31 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MLindgren
Let her make the choice. If you do it your way you'll here about it every time she has to visit the dealership for service

Happy wife=happy life.

This is truly the only advice you need to listen too......
Old 01-03-2012, 06:56 PM
mzn50
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We needed to replace the very nice Lincoln MKX .. amazing technology .. but was like driving a couch !..
This was a SUV for her.. of course I went and test drove a whack of them .. DONT SCREAM.. but really enjoyed the Land Range Rover SC .. wow.. it was fast and comfortable.. yes it consumed tons..expensive but.. what a beast.. I really liked it..(was too much SUV for her) I tried the new Cayenne ..lovely but I found Porsche did not want to deal plus they were sold out for months.. we settled on a Lexus RX350 .. well.. she settled on that.. super comfortable.. great AWD for Canadian winters.. and has nice performance as well..

The Lexus is pretty much the same model for years.. but solid and dependable .. a very good choice we found.. good luck
Old 01-03-2012, 09:01 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Let her make the choice. If you do it your way you'll here about it every time she has to visit the dealership for service

Happy wife=happy life.

My wife used to insist that I was forcing her into luxo/performance vehicles she "really" didn't want because I liked to drive them... guilty. She would be much happier in something more basic like a Camry... right. In '09 we put that theory to bed. She wanted a new 4Runner to replace her aging x5... I thought GX470 if the price is close. I drove her to a local Toyota dealership to trade in her x5. She teared up when they made a trade-in offer for the x5 in exchange for a new 4Runner. The next day I took her to the Lexus dealership to trade in the x5 for a new GX470. The heavens parted and a rainbow appeared. Really... it started out rainy that day. BTW, the GX and 4Runner share the same chassis...

Confusion says: "sometimes you have to get what she wants not what she say" and don't forget to "enjoy the ride" especially if it's on your dime.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:05 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mickfluff
The Mazda CX9 Grand Touring (must be the GT model) is a great SUV, sporty, handles nice, interior is top notch, lots of space, great options, rolls stock on 20's, dual exhaust, amazing repair record and has won many years in a row as best SUV. A great bang for the buck SUV with a TON of space... sold the wives Land Cruiser and got into one of these for her and she could not be happier.... she looked at rovers, land cruisers, MB, etc... and after test driving she loved the way the Mazda drove, felt, etc ...had it now 2 years and very pleased.
My wife is driving an '11 CX-9 and I have to agree with your assesment. Great handling, decent enough power, nice responding auto trans (in manual mode) and plenty of room for 7 or your gear.

Don't laugh, but we traded off a Ford Flex to get the Mazda and we loved that Ford product. You have to get used to the looks, but it rode and drove incredibly well. A great luxury ride, super build quality and if you get the Turbo, more than enough power. Ford hit a home run with that SUV from a driving and riding standpoint.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:00 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Do you need awd?
preferred

Quick Reply: Advice request - wagon, SUV???