Notices

Advice request - wagon, SUV???

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 12:40 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
^^That. Sorry to be blunt, but I think it's b*tt ugly.......
it is ... but the M-Sport pkg helps a bit ...
Old 01-06-2012, 02:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 145 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
it is ... but the M-Sport pkg helps a bit ...
I suppose it does. Gotta say, though, that I don't see why someone would buy a 550ix GT instead of a Cayenne S, for example. Very comparable performance and efficiency, although with a 26 gallon tank (compared to 18.8 on the BMW) the Cayenne has much better range, not to mention more cargo room, plus the ability to go off pavement and tow 7700 pounds. The Cayenne is actually shorter than the 550ix GT, weighs almost 400 pounds less, and IMO is quite good looking, unlike the BMW. And the Cayenne S lists at $65K and the BMW at $68.3K. It just depends on what floats your boat, I guess.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:09 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I suppose it does. Gotta say, though, that I don't see why someone would buy a 550ix GT instead of a Cayenne S, for example. Very comparable performance and efficiency, although with a 26 gallon tank (compared to 18.8 on the BMW) the Cayenne has much better range, not to mention more cargo room, plus the ability to go off pavement and tow 7700 pounds. The Cayenne is actually shorter than the 550ix GT, weighs almost 400 pounds less, and IMO is quite good looking, unlike the BMW. And the Cayenne S lists at $65K and the BMW at $68.3K. It just depends on what floats your boat, I guess.
good point, but once you start to bolt on options onto a Cayenne the price ROCKETS past a fully loaded GT ... I think they are apples and oranges ...

and ...

honestly ...

they are both about as equally butt-fugly! you would need to and a lot to take either home from the prom!

Old 01-06-2012, 02:53 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

Gotta say, though, that I don't see why someone would buy a 550ix GT instead of a Cayenne S, for example.
The GT is all about space. Huge amounts of headroom. Enormous, literally limo-like rear seat. Large trunk area as well. But just about the ugliest thing on the road.

And not only is it selling in smaller numbers than the 5-series Touring, many of the (few) sales it is generating were cannibalized from the more profitable but similarly roomy 7-series.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:54 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
The GT is all about space. Huge amounts of headroom. Enormous, literally limo-like rear seat. Large trunk area as well. But just about the ugliest thing on the road.

And not only is it selling in smaller numbers than the 5-series Touring, many of the (few) sales it is generating were cannibalized from the more profitable but similarly roomy 7-series.
EXACTLY! ... I wish I could protest outside BMW NA to bring the F11 touring back to the US ... its about the sweet spot for those of us that like a drivers car that need something with some space ...

there is no way I can get 2 or 3 60lb+ Aussies in 5GT ...
Old 01-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

honestly ...they are both about as equally butt-fugly! you would need to and a lot to take either home from the prom!

Guess I must have been drunk when I bought my CS and am still enjoying the hangover because I like the way it looks. Aaaah well, love is blind, no?
Old 01-06-2012, 02:58 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Guess I must have been drunk when I bought my CS and am still enjoying the hangover because I like the way it looks. Aaaah well, love is blind, no?
all in the eye of the beholder ... I "like" the GTS and Turbo styling, but the base Cayenne looks like some kind of panzerkampfwagen circa 1939-45 all it is missing is the (PTS) disruptive camouflage paint some swastikas and there you go, next stop Poland...

Old 01-06-2012, 03:21 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

all in the eye of the beholder ... I "like" the GTS and Turbo styling, but the base Cayenne looks like some kind of panzerkampfwagen circa 1939-45 all it is missing is the (PTS) disruptive camouflage paint some swastikas and there you go, next stop Poland...

Maybe I could imagine the Wehrmacht on it's way to the Eastern Front in the old body style Cayenne, but the new one as a panzerkampfwagen....?? Guess I'm just not seeing it.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:23 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

different beholder... but then I think the Panamera is also fugly, and the new 991 has inherited some of its looks from both those platforms ... why is there no :vomit: emoticon?
Old 01-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 190 Posts

Agree I'd take a Cayenne over a GT, once you load up a GT you may as well get a 7.
Also on a side note the Cayenne diesel is coming to the US and should fit price wise between the 6 & the 8, now that sounds cool, I love me some torques. Also the word is that the Cayenne is built in the same factory as the Panamera and the Panamera offers PtS so how long before we can order a Cayenne in PtS Gt3 RS Orange?
Old 01-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bruce R
Agree I'd take a Cayenne over a GT, once you load up a GT you may as well get a 7.
Also on a side note the Cayenne diesel is coming to the US and should fit price wise between the 6 & the 8, now that sounds cool, I love me some torques. Also the word is that the Cayenne is built in the same factory as the Panamera and the Panamera offers PtS so how long before we can order a Cayenne in PtS Gt3 RS Orange?
just before you are banned from RL for life for such heresy (turbo and GTS excluded)!
Old 01-06-2012, 08:25 PM
4 Track Mind
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Audi Allroad returns on an A4 chassis.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by 4 Track Mind
The Audi Allroad returns on an A4 chassis.
Interesting. It was an A6 before. Guess the new A4 is about the size of the older A6's. Nice car, I leased one for a while......
Old 01-12-2012, 06:22 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

OK, I test drove the X5 xDrive50i (w/Sport Activity pkg, but no Adaptive Drive) and an X5M last week ...

I am not a fan of the suspension on the xDrive50i feels like the rebound is soft, so the car tends to "float" somewhat, I also dont like the STEPTRONIC transmission, its a bit "jerky" initially as you step on the gas, apart from that, its typical BMW ... the 4.4L V8 TT engine is superb and the car overall performs a lot better than you would imagine for such a hunk'o tin...

The X5M was a hoot, suspension and transmission are much better, you still know that you are crusing around in a lot of tin, and you feel "high up" but if your control inputs are smooth you can extract a lot from the handling of the SAV... pressing the "M" button and engaging the "sport" mode, along with M-Dynamic suspension also is a lot of fun ...

having said that, I am not sure that the X5M actually ignites its fuel, I secretly think its a gas ion drive that simply accelerates raw fuel out the back ... empirical evidence of this propulsion system is derived from visual monitoring of the fuel gauge while accelerating with M mode engaged!
Old 01-13-2012, 02:12 PM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have an E55 Estate I'm looking to get out of in order to get a 911, just in case anyone is interested...
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Advice request - wagon, SUV???