Notices

Audi quality

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 10:32 AM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Laker, if one doesn't feel comfortable going 10-15k mi between the "free" oil changes, they have the option of paying out of pocket for intermediate oil changes.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:41 AM
zone5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Laker
A few randoms thoughts:

whenever a car company offers "Free scheduled Maintenance" you know they are going to bump out the maintenance intervals to save themselves money at the expense of the engine's lifespan at the higher end of the odometer. Have you ever seen the oil that comes out a "Free scheduled maintenance" BMW after 15,000 miles? I would never buy one used for this reason.

You need to make sure the car has had full synthetic it's entire life to prevent sludge. This may be difficult since dealerships rarely use synthetic for the "Free Maintenance" Audi/VW dealerships were still doing oil changes with dino oil when it was clear this was the cause of sludge failures in the 1.8T & 2.0T engines.

The benefit of CPO isn't the dealership inspection, it's the nationwide warranty bump to 6yr/100k miles or whatever. The dealership has to buy the CPO coverage at $1000+ per car for the nationwide warranty.

The weakest link of any European car is the OEM components. The build quality and ride of my old 89 Saab 900S '82 Audi 4000S Quattro, 98 A4Q and 2002 S4 were excellent. The achilles hill always seemed to be some expensive Bosch component stamped with a Audi/Saab part number and 300% markup.

I had a couple of minor issues with the Audi's but nothing major. I did sell both before 75k miles.

When these cars get up there in mileage and things start going wrong, it doesn't take long before you drop more into the car, than the car is actually worth.
BMW dealers are mandated by BMW to use synthetic oil. It is the only oil approved for use in BMW engines.

As a matter of fact, you can buy the oil in the dealerships -- I don't know if it is re-branded Mobil 1 or what, but it is full synthetic.

That's not to say a cheating dealer might try to substitute regular oil for the synthetic, however after 15-17,000 miles (the typical interval), there would be so many people with major issues the dealer would soon find themselves in a heap of trouble.

So don't let this stop you from buying a used BMW. My X5 has gotten full synthetic oil changes about every 15,000 miles for the past 11 years (now has 123k) and only burns one quart every 2500 miles, the same as when it was new.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:49 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 582 Posts

I have Audi Care on the A8- I change my oil and filter in between the ones paid for by the contract. Even with Mobil 1 I'm not going that long, especially in the winter. Our M3 is (soon was) leased so I went with the standard service schedule even though I'd never let the oil stay in there that long if I owned the car.
The TTS replacement for the M3 also has Audi Care but I'll again do an extra oil change between the regularly scheduled ones. Got a lot of Mobil 1 sitting on the garage shelf...
Old 12-24-2011, 11:50 AM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

^^^

It was Audi/VW dealers who were using Dino oil early on before the 1.8T sludge problem was acknowledged. Definitely need synthetic oil for all these cars especially at these long intervals, but IMHO, 15k miles is 5k too much.

Originally Posted by Van1
Laker, if one doesn't feel comfortable going 10-15k mi between the "free" oil changes, they have the option of paying out of pocket for intermediate oil changes.
of course, but most likely wouldn't have happened on a used / off-lease example.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:55 AM
bigs
Dean of Rennlist, "I'm Listening"

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 962 Likes on 415 Posts

Somehow missed this thread...

Didn't read through the entire thread, but having said that...

I'm actually sort of an "Audi guy." Over maybe the last +/- 20 years, an Audi has always been my daily driver - starting with an Audi 5000, then an Audi V8, then two consecutive A4's, and now an A6.

I've always thought Audis were good-looking cars in a classy, handsome sense. And their interiors are unsurpassed - beautiful (not busy or garish) with superb ergonomics.

The ride and handling can be described as "active" and "responsive" without being harsh. To me, it's the perfect blend or balance of handling and comfort.

The ones I've owned certainly haven't been speed freaks - but that's why I've had a Porsche or a Mercedes SL 55 AMG. Having said that, the performance of my Audis has certainly been satisfactory for a daily driver.

And the Audi Quattro AWD system simply cannot be beat in the snow. I've had 4x4 trucks and SUV's, and they didn't handle snow anywhere close to an Audi.

Now for the bad part...

In the past, I had considerable reliability issues with my first two Audis. The 5000 and the V8 were simply in the shop too often. But starting with the A4's and now the A6 (2006), I've had no reliability issues with any Audi. I had a single battery/electronic issue with my current A6, but that was fixed under warranty - and otherwise it's been bullet proof.

Bottom line: My next DD will also be an Audi.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:00 PM
One of Twenty
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigs
The ones I've owned certainly haven't been speed freaks -
Mine is. . .
Old 12-24-2011, 12:02 PM
bigs
Dean of Rennlist, "I'm Listening"

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 962 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by One of Twenty
Mine is. . .
Yes, yes it is!
Old 12-24-2011, 01:21 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by zone5
BMW dealers are mandated by BMW to use synthetic oil. It is the only oil approved for use in BMW engines.

As a matter of fact, you can buy the oil in the dealerships -- I don't know if it is re-branded Mobil 1 or what, but it is full synthetic.

That's not to say a cheating dealer might try to substitute regular oil for the synthetic, however after 15-17,000 miles (the typical interval), there would be so many people with major issues the dealer would soon find themselves in a heap of trouble.

So don't let this stop you from buying a used BMW. My X5 has gotten full synthetic oil changes about every 15,000 miles for the past 11 years (now has 123k) and only burns one quart every 2500 miles, the same as when it was new.
BMW uses a custom formulation of Castrol Synthetic. I agree with Laker's sentiments completely. Most people are only going to do the service the mfgr recommends and that's going to hurt those of us that buy them second hand (w/out warranty coverage). Personally, the max I go is 10k mi. on full synthetic oil and usually it's between 7,500 and 10K.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:56 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I love the new Audi styling but reliability has me concerned as well. I have had some friends that have had some S4's, A6's, and A8s and they were pretty much horror stories to listen too. Reminded me of our BMW experience we had (never own another one). Plus the BMW had to much plastic in the engine compartment for my comfort--even drive pulleys were plastic.

I'm curious all you guys claiming to get over 200k out of these cars is that on the original engine and transmission? What kind of fluid change intervals are you doing? Definitely not calling you guys liars at all just have some very intelligent mechanic friends that have had opposite experiences.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:59 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 873 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by mts

So, for those Audi drivers, what has your experience been like?
well, since i recently ordered and A4 Avant, i'm hoping for the best...

craig
Old 12-24-2011, 02:23 PM
bill d cat
Feral Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by zone5

The BMW oil is specially formulated by BMW and brewed by Castrol. Tischer BMW sells an E90 oil change "kit" with 7 quarts and an oil filter and gaskets for $69, delivered to your door and tax-free. That seems to be about list price but it's heavy and saves a trip to the dealer. BMW's oil is more expensive than the jugs of Mobil-1 at WalMart but not that much more expensive.

I would still be reluctant to buy any used BMW since I doubt most BMW owners/lessees are as compulsive as you are!
Old 12-24-2011, 03:39 PM
JonT
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan87951
I'm curious all you guys claiming to get over 200k out of these cars is that on the original engine and transmission? What kind of fluid change intervals are you doing?
99 A4 Avant 2.8L V6 here purchased new and now at 169,000. Mobil1 full synthetic every 3-5000 and Audi OEM long life filter (giant can). Never had the engine apart, but the thing has certainly had its share of expensive repairs. Heater core leak, radiator broke at the plastic/aluminum interface, alternator quit,
PS belt roller broke off, bad cam seals = drip oil onto exhaust, sport suspension control arms replaced 3x, brake caliper froze, etc etc.

Great car to drive. Better car to own with a warranty.
Jon
Old 12-24-2011, 04:06 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 112 Posts

Mobil1 0-40 every 3k when I had a short commute, then every 5k when I had a long commute. I chipped my '00 S4 when it had 500 miles, put a different exhaust to let it breathe. Original turbos going strong at 138k. I had a few repairs before 50k,, like power steering lines and ABS pump. No problems after that.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:52 PM
zone5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bill d cat
The BMW oil is specially formulated by BMW and brewed by Castrol. Tischer BMW sells an E90 oil change "kit" with 7 quarts and an oil filter and gaskets for $69, delivered to your door and tax-free. That seems to be about list price but it's heavy and saves a trip to the dealer. BMW's oil is more expensive than the jugs of Mobil-1 at WalMart but not that much more expensive.

I would still be reluctant to buy any used BMW since I doubt most BMW owners/lessees are as compulsive as you are!
Oil changes every 15k obsessive??? LOL
Old 12-24-2011, 07:59 PM
roach808
7th Gear

2012 Audi A3 TDI good car so far. 7000 miles 30 mpg city 42 highway.

Quick Reply: Audi quality