Notices

Anybody know Steve Cattaneo/Master Tech Transmission personally?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012 | 09:26 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

No small amount. After tax it was about $2800. Was supposed to be a built trans with kevlar bands and everything optional improvement he had to offer. It will now have OEM bands because the kevlar doesn't work, what is probably a used torque converter. On top of that this warranty repair is coming up on a month without being complete, when he knows I am stuck in a rental without my car. The original work was supposed to be 10-14 days and IIRC that too was delayed by a week. The real kicker being told to come up Friday to pick it up, then getting a call that it doesn't work yet when I pull into town (some 430+ miles of driving), but will work Monday...then driving back home on Monday still in my rental.

Hell, I was supposed to come up today to get it (driving back the same day, and going into work without sleep), and he never felt a need to call me to tell me it wasn't close to ready - I had to initiate a phone call around 3pm to find that out.
Old 01-03-2012 | 09:43 PM
sweet928
Three Wheelin'

That totally sucks. Only heard great things here about him. Sadly, things can change for the worse. Good luck and keep us updated.
Old 01-03-2012 | 09:51 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sweet928
That totally sucks. Only heard great things here about him. Sadly, things can change for the worse. Good luck and keep us updated.
I'll keep you updated. This thing is putting me in the poor house. Cereal, peanut butter and jelly, and canned tuna is all I eat these days because I have no idea what this is going to cost me in the end.
Old 01-03-2012 | 10:04 PM
White Lightnin'
Rennlist Member

From: Somewhere, NC............................... Posts: Not nearly enough!

I had thought he would be the only one I would take my S4 auto trans to... until I saw this thread. This may cost him more business than he knows...

Old 01-03-2012 | 10:32 PM
GregBBRD
Former Vendor

No matter how good you are at something, things occasionally go wrong.

No matter how many pieces you stock for a certain job, occasionally you don't have the proper part.

The measure of a great mechanic is what he does when things go wrong or he doesn't have the correct pieces.

Let's see how this turns out, in the end.
Old 01-03-2012 | 10:36 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GregBBRD
No matter how good you are at something, things occasionally go wrong.

No matter how many pieces you stock for a certain job, occasionally you don't have the proper part.

The measure of a great mechanic is what he does when things go wrong or he doesn't have the correct pieces.

Let's see how this turns out, in the end.
I agree with this. I guess I'm just reporting the process because I'm hopping mad. That said, things happen, and all can be well that ends well, but the problem is I have little hope that things will end well. I sure got the impression that he hadn't even looked at the car the first week it was there, despite that it was supposed to be done by the end of that week - the reason I say this is he had no update for me at that time, but in the middle of the next week he asked me if I had changed the fluid since the problems started because the fluid looked too good for a car that had been driven that long with those symptoms.
Old 01-04-2012 | 12:30 AM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by marlinspike
I'll keep you updated. This thing is putting me in the poor house. Cereal, peanut butter and jelly, and canned tuna is all I eat these days because I have no idea what this is going to cost me in the end.
The gentleman doth wax hyperbolic.
Old 01-04-2012 | 01:39 AM
Landseer
Rennlist Member

Unfortunately in this case, an internet search clarifies the underlying cause real quickly.
Has nothing to do with technical skill, which we all praise.
Old 01-04-2012 | 04:02 AM
danglerb
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Landseer
Unfortunately in this case, an internet search clarifies the underlying cause real quickly.
Has nothing to do with technical skill, which we all praise.
Chapter in the story that explains it all, number 11. Sad, hope he recovers, I know a handful of people that the last few years sucked a lifetime effort in a business down the drain. All good people too.
Old 01-04-2012 | 07:01 AM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Well...crap.

Originally Posted by Randy V
The gentleman doth wax hyperbolic.
Not really, actually. I'm a young person, so having a month where I unexpectedly have to spend $650 on a rental car and about $355 on gas to fix a transmission that was just built a few months ago hits pretty hard.
Old 01-04-2012 | 12:15 PM
Maybach_Man
Pro

am i missing something... the bankrupcy was march 2010??
Old 01-04-2012 | 12:33 PM
mickster
Race Car

Originally Posted by Maybach_Man
am i missing something... the bankrupcy was march 2010??
Chapter 11 is a reorganization period here in the U.S.. You have a certain amount of time to work to resolve your debt or have it written down or off.

Further it is next to impossible to get anything on even Net 30 (30 days to pay) credit. Most suppliers who you order parts from will want cash on delivery.

Unless you can secure some additional funds you either work hand to mouth or eventually dissolve the company.

March 2010-now is less than 2 years. Some companies sit in reorg. for a number of years. Hopefully he emerges out of Chapter 11 and can save the business. Even so, he will have a hard time securing credit with any suppliers.

Even corporate credit cards will be next to impossible to obtain.
Old 01-04-2012 | 12:41 PM
928er
Addict
Rennlist Member

wow you guys are some search fiends... I'm going to go unplug from the grid, pull my cable into my hole and bury myself... lol
Old 01-04-2012 | 12:43 PM
Maybach_Man
Pro

hi michael;
Thanks for explaining, i guessed as much...but the origional post started on 06/28/2011 over a year after the chapter 11 so the op must have known about it....right??
Old 01-04-2012 | 12:58 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

I had no idea. One doesn't think he has to google the business name and the word bankruptcy every time he does business with someone.

Quick Reply: Anybody know Steve Cattaneo/Master Tech Transmission personally?