Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 03:54 PM
JRRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Subarus suck. Buy a MINI Countryman S.
Ha! Definitely not true Matt!

Just make sure you take a good look at the front of the WRX before you get in your Mini because you won't see anything but the back of it after that!
Old 11-30-2011, 04:23 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ELLSSUU
What is the build quality and reliability of the WRX and STI? I plan on keeping the car hopefully 9-10 years
I just picked up a '12 WRX hatch to be my daily driver. I've only got 960 miles on it so far, so I don't have a real sense of longevity. I'm very very pleased with the car, though. Suspension is soft enough to handle bad roads, but it's still a pretty fun car to toss around and I quite enjoy driving it.

I can fit all kinds of stuff in the back (like my track wheels). It makes for a good wet weather track car too.

Fit and finish of the interior (I've got the up-model "Limited" version) is a little lacking for a $30K car, but acceptable.

Probably the biggest downside is the community. You should expect to own the only WRX in your neighborhood that isn't clapped out in aftermarket parts, hella "stanced," and covered in stickers. Seems like the WRX/STi is the new Civic/Eclipse for the tuner crowd. The Forums are generally a wasteland of street kill stories and kids looking for cheap 20" wheels. This also means that trying to find an unmolested car on the used market can be a challenge. That's why I bought new.

The price jump from WRX to STi is surprisingly high for what you get, and the STi is somewhat compromised for grocery-getting duties. Rougher ride, for sure, and less street-friendly gearing. I wasn't tempted.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/macnuggetorg/6332553054/http://www.flickr.com/photos/macnuggetorg/6332553054/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/macnuggetorg/, on Flickr
Old 12-20-2011, 11:57 PM
cag4
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

There's a reason that Subaru has the highest owner loyalty of any manufacturer... once someone buys one, they buy another... and another... and... I'm on my second.

Give a serious thought as to whether you need the STi vs WRX. The STi is all that and more, but some consider it a bit more compromised for daily use than necessary. It does have 300 vs. 265 HP, and a ton of adjustability in the traction control, differential, etc., but at a $10K premium, the sweetspot may actually be the WRX -- bit more low- and mid-range torque and simpler.

IMHO, there's really no better vehicle for covering more ground, more quickly, in more conditions, with less drama -- and it can carry 4 adults and all their cr*p doing it. That and a 911 are all you need... (so why do I also own a miata, prius and minivan???).
Old 12-21-2011, 07:26 AM
KS-CS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had one of the first 2002 WRXs and loved it. As others said, it was reliable, practical, forgiving, and a blast to drive in any conditions. I did get more stop light challenges from the Honduh Boyz than I get in my Cayman. I eventually moved up to a Legacy GT (just as Subie marketing plans it) which was also a terrific (and under-rated) car IMO, and less the racer-boy image. If you could find a nice, used Spec B, you might like that as well.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:14 AM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still have an 03 and it is very reliable. It has seen quite a bit of track time where it pushes bad but for all kinds of weather and snow it cann't be beat. Interior is on the plastic / cheap side. 139k miles
Old 01-16-2012, 04:13 PM
AYHSMB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a '12 WRX. It's superb, I'm in love with it. So cheap, so capable, so eager to take on any kind of road. I think the interior and the gadgets you get are fantastic for how cheap the car is; far better than Porsche for example - it's got a USB port for iPod integration, it's good bluetooth, all for free in the base spec. It's no sports car, but it is a hoot to drive.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:21 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AYHSMB
It's no sports car, but it is a hoot to drive.
I'd contest that - it's not a traditional 2-seater sports car (nor is a standard 911 for that matter), but it does have serious performance (especially for it's price). I guess it all depends on what your definition of a "sports car" is...

Quick Reply: Anyone own a WRX?