Notices

Buying a 2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class CLS-500 AMG 4dr.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 06:20 PM
Tony
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 584 Likes on 305 Posts
Default Buying a 2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class CLS-500 AMG 4dr.

As the title says. Its got 61k miles and its priced right i think. This is for my folks. Presents well.

Anyone own or have experience with one.
Are these the cars that have the suspension issues? Any other gremlins? I told my dad he should get a PPI at the local MD dealer for peace fo mind.
Attached Images  
Old 11-01-2011, 06:53 PM
Rob Edwards
Archive Gatekeeper
Rennlist Member

Received 2,709 Likes on 1,312 Posts

No direct experience, but the ABC sticky in the W215 forum at Benzworld doesn't bode well. A quick glance at the sticky thread has some good info on ABC problems and a sensor recall.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w215-cl-class/

Sensor recall:

http://nhthqnwws112.odi.nhtsa.dot.go...8V405-8752.pdf
Old 11-01-2011, 06:58 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Unless it was a smoking deal and backed by MB warranty it wouldn't be on my short list. They are nice rides though.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 289 Posts

If it is a CLS 500 then it is not an AMG. It most likely is a CLS500 with the AMG poser package, like wheels or small aero bits. 500 series in NA, true AMG will be CLS55 and supercharged. Get the extended warranty. Well worth it for the piece of mind.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:13 PM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 150 Likes on 81 Posts

OK, I'm officially confused. We are talking about a CLS, not a CL. And there is no mention of AMG or ABC in the original post. The car in the picture appears not to be an AMG, and doesn't have ABC, as to my knowledge, this was a feature for the CL only. Am I missing something?

The US model CLS does have is the air suspension, which provides a flying-carpet like ride and is known to be expensive to fix.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:24 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicole
OK, I'm officially confused. We are talking about a CLS, not a CL. And there is no mention of AMG or ABC in the original post. The car in the picture appears not to be an AMG, and doesn't have ABC, as to my knowledge, this was a feature for the CL only. Am I missing something?

The US model CLS does have is the air suspension, which provides a flying-carpet like ride and is known to be expensive to fix.
The title of this thread is CLS 500 AMG (which of course doesn't exist)...
Old 11-03-2011, 03:48 PM
Jay9722
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

It is the 500 with the Sport appearance package. There is nothing AMG about it. I just dumped my "babied" CL for the Spyder. The CL is very similar to this CLS. While it was an amazing car I had to get rid of it because the service costs were ridiculous. It only had 76,000 miles and the ABC started to get touchy. It was sagging after sitting for only a few days. I had thought about giving it to my father who loved the car but it wouldn't have been a nice gift if he had to deal with the maintenance issues and service costs. Your gesture to buy it is very cool but reconsider the CLS unless it has an amazing extended warranty.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:24 PM
Tony
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 584 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicole

500 CLS AMG. ^^^^^ what Jay said.
Doesnt nave the guts...as in the motor like a true AMG.

So does this have the ABC suspension....or just airmatic? they are two different things arent they?

Heck, is it even possible to just toss a set of bilstein/eibachs on all 4 corners and be done with that crap?

Its sad but we are in a generation of some truley amazing cars in both looks and technology...sadly they are going to depreciate VERY quickly and become undriveable for many as the fall into states of disrepair. Hmmm..i happen to know a Porsche mark that suffered the same fate!...to my and others advantage!.

As they say, it takes a rich man to own a cheap Mercedes...Porsche...ferrari...Lambo...etc etc etc

Thanks for the input
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Buying a 2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class CLS-500 AMG 4dr.