Notices

Just test drove a 2012 Nissan GT-R...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 03:45 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 92 Posts
Default Just test drove a 2012 Nissan GT-R...

As the ongoing saga of getting a baby seat to properly fit the back of the 911 is limiting it's use I'm considering alternatives. Having read all the reviews of the updates to the 2012 GT-R I figured I'd give one a try.

I've driven the GT-R before on road and track and I like it but I found the ride too hard for a daily...at least for me. The new one does indeed ride a bit better but I still think it's a bit extreme. Unfortunately there's also less headroom than the 911 (I'm 6'5").

I have to say I do like the car...it's neat given it's THE Japanese supercar but I don't think it's for me. Can't wait to try the Mercedes CLK Black when it finally arrives...that might be the ticket...or maybe the 991 now that the back seat has the LATCH attachment...

Anyone else here drive one?
Old 10-28-2011, 04:02 PM
dastro
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't wait to try the Mercedes CLK Black when it finally arrives..

Hey SharpMan,

You responded to "my first porsche" on 6speed. No, you have the best color/wheel combination!

I also have a CLK500 Cab. Is MB reviving the CLK model?
Old 10-28-2011, 04:12 PM
IslandS52
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did they soften up the new AMG Black? I can't imagine its going to ride much better than a GT-R, and definitely not as well as a Carrera.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:47 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

The ride is actually one the MOST under-appreciated or highlighted features of 997. I still DO NOT understand HOW they could possibly make it handle as well as it rides! Incredible!

The ONLY other sports car that I've driven that's close to 997, is R8 with its magnetic ride, that also in fantastic!
Old 10-28-2011, 04:55 PM
mp3moose
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does the new CLK Black have rear seats? The original doesn't.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:04 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If the forward facing baby seat in the rear is the only issue (front seat option I guess is not available due to other passenger?), then just wait the year or so until the child can be put in a forward facing seat. In the interim, you don't get to use the 911 to drive the kid around... use the other car.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:08 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
If the forward facing baby seat in the rear is the only issue (front seat option I guess is not available due to other passenger?), then just wait the year or so until the child can be put in a forward facing seat. In the interim, you don't get to use the 911 to drive the kid around... use the other car.
+1...

Note also that you will have a HUGE HIT trying to sell your car and get another newer sports car, you might be able to actually get a nice used M3/RS4 LESS than the hit on your car.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SharpMan
As the ongoing saga of getting a baby seat to properly fit the back of the 911 is limiting it's use I'm considering alternatives. Having read all the reviews of the updates to the 2012 GT-R I figured I'd give one a try.

I've driven the GT-R before on road and track and I like it but I found the ride too hard for a daily...at least for me. The new one does indeed ride a bit better but I still think it's a bit extreme. Unfortunately there's also less headroom than the 911 (I'm 6'5").

I feel your pain. I just sold my 2008 997s because my the blessing of my expanded family meant that I really wasn't going to be driving a car that I only drove 5,000 miles/year before my son at all going forward. As much as Porsche makes the case (and some of it is justified) that Porsche makes the 911 for every day use... it's not really true if you've got a newborn or child under 2 that needs to be in a rear facing car seat.

I have driven the original R35 GT-R and the new GT-R. Both (but especially the new ones) are simply amazing. But neither are for me. I didn't like the steering feel and call me what you want but I won't drive a sports car that doesn't have a proper clutch pedal. No offense to PDK owners, great transmission, just not for me.

I thought the AMG black series cars don't have rear seats to save space?
Old 10-28-2011, 07:11 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

A GTR? I do. It is very stiff when new, but after 8500 miles, it has softened up. Not lost its handling prowess, but a more comfortable ride.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:50 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by dastro
Can't wait to try the Mercedes CLK Black when it finally arrives..

Hey SharpMan,

You responded to "my first porsche" on 6speed. No, you have the best color/wheel combination!

I also have a CLK500 Cab. Is MB reviving the CLK model?
I'm a dumbass...I meant the C63 Coupe Black Series due next year.

Last edited by LastMezger; 10-28-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:58 PM
mmmazing
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get an M3 4 door, awesome ride.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:51 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Panamera?
Old 10-30-2011, 08:18 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I haven't followed this question, since even my grandkids are too old for the question to matter personally, but does the difficulty lie in finding a seat you trust or is someone telling you the structure won't support it properly? If the latter, surely you just need a shop -- or better yet a dealer -- accustomed to working with the problem.

It may not be a ten-dollar cut-the-carpet-open solution, but I find it hard to believe a safe mounting is that difficult if someone manufactures the appropriate seat.

Gary
Old 10-30-2011, 09:03 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 861 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
I haven't followed this question, since even my grandkids are too old for the question to matter personally, but does the difficulty lie in finding a seat you trust or is someone telling you the structure won't support it properly? If the latter, surely you just need a shop -- or better yet a dealer -- accustomed to working with the problem.

It may not be a ten-dollar cut-the-carpet-open solution, but I find it hard to believe a safe mounting is that difficult if someone manufactures the appropriate seat.

Gary
I think rear facing for very young infants is the issue. No problem once they get to 4 or 5 and you put in a booster and off you go. No latch system for 911's - dont believe.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:51 PM
Ish993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've driven the GT-R before on road and track and I like it but I found the ride too hard for a daily...at least for me.
It's a SOUL-LESS machine from the evil empire..........I would not allow one in my garage

Quick Reply: Just test drove a 2012 Nissan GT-R...