Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 02:53 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,056 Likes on 578 Posts
Default Visit with Mclaren Dealer

So after missing all the local launches and vip events, I was finally able to visit with the local dealer last week. I've dealt with them a bit before and was actually there coincidentally and simultaneously with some of the big wigs from the UK.

the big thing for me was to determine:

what the paint colors really looked like in sunlight, vs iMac screen
what the interior materials felt like
what the options prices were

I mean lets be honest if this thing is around 3000lbs and just under 600hp with a 7 speed dual clutch tranny it's going to be retarded fast. The real question I've got as a porsche guy is more in regards to the driveability and daily usage-

each dealer is apparently going F1 style with spares- they're going to have spare EVERYTHING. "an entire spare car" so they can fix stuff asap. they explained that ferrari disappoints a lot of people in this regard and some of the people working for McLaren are former Porsche people on the business side so apparently they've got a better handle on how to keep consumers happy.

anyway- here is my report

paints:
the azure blue is pretty much the same as cobalt blue metallic

fire black has flecks of reddish orange in a basalt black base. super weird
but cool.

volcano red is very similar to the pure red metallic Aston Martin color, a little more of a ferrari red than the burgundyish ruby red porsche metallic. gorgeous!

graphite grey very similar to carbon steel metallic like on the VW gti I own

the rest of the colors are all pretty much the same color as on the computer screen.

interior:
the space fabric stuff is pretty weak on a 200k car, but if you want to make it super lightweight (like a 430scud) then whatever.

the alcantara seems a bit "moister" than the porsche stuff...which is to say it seems better quality.

I'm going with the alcantara as it's less sweaty than leather and I live in hot weather.

options:

just like porsche and ferrari, you can go nuts. carbon options are either 2860 a piece or 4k a piece. kind of middle of the price point scale in between porsche and ferrari.

the lightweight wheels and super lightweight wheels are 4-5k upcharge.

you can set up 25-30k in options very fast. I've configured it a bunch of times in the 260-265 range without going too crazy on carbon or aesthetic stuff.

anyway- I'm pretty satisfied that they'll be able to supply me with a great car, so I'm on the list. it's not a replacement for my CGT in any way, merely an additional acquisition.

sidebar- also spoke to them about "future models" in the next 2-4 years...this first one is the equivalent of the 911 turbo, they're looking at a cab, and a more raw lighter more performance oriented one in the future
Old 05-23-2011, 03:12 AM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Nice report. I got to see the car (and the presentation) @ Pebble Beach last year and the car is impressive. I was reading EVO #156 tonight, and it sounds as if a "GT3" road version of the MP4-12C is in the works.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:20 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

Great info CJ. The convertible I couldn't care less about but this "RS" version of the MP4-12C down the round does sound appealing!
Old 05-23-2011, 08:31 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

They are preparing up to 20 FIA GT3 spec cars for customers. No plans as of yet for a "factory works" team. Not that long ago, the grids were almost all Porsches, now only a few. With McLaren joining the fray, GT racing is becoming more and more exciting. The 991 will be need to to be big advancement to meet the competition.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:52 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a friend who put his order in about 2 months ago. It is scheduled for a late fall delivery. We'll see. Should be an interesting car.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:07 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,833 Likes on 952 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
So after missing all the local launches and vip events, I was finally able to visit with the local dealer last week. I've dealt with them a bit before and was actually there coincidentally and simultaneously with some of the big wigs from the UK.

the big thing for me was to determine:

what the paint colors really looked like in sunlight, vs iMac screen
what the interior materials felt like
what the options prices were

I mean lets be honest if this thing is around 3000lbs and just under 600hp with a 7 speed dual clutch tranny it's going to be retarded fast. The real question I've got as a porsche guy is more in regards to the driveability and daily usage-

each dealer is apparently going F1 style with spares- they're going to have spare EVERYTHING. "an entire spare car" so they can fix stuff asap. they explained that ferrari disappoints a lot of people in this regard and some of the people working for McLaren are former Porsche people on the business side so apparently they've got a better handle on how to keep consumers happy.

anyway- here is my report

paints:
the azure blue is pretty much the same as cobalt blue metallic

fire black has flecks of reddish orange in a basalt black base. super weird
but cool.

volcano red is very similar to the pure red metallic Aston Martin color, a little more of a ferrari red than the burgundyish ruby red porsche metallic. gorgeous!

graphite grey very similar to carbon steel metallic like on the VW gti I own

the rest of the colors are all pretty much the same color as on the computer screen.

interior:
the space fabric stuff is pretty weak on a 200k car, but if you want to make it super lightweight (like a 430scud) then whatever.

the alcantara seems a bit "moister" than the porsche stuff...which is to say it seems better quality.

I'm going with the alcantara as it's less sweaty than leather and I live in hot weather.

options:

just like porsche and ferrari, you can go nuts. carbon options are either 2860 a piece or 4k a piece. kind of middle of the price point scale in between porsche and ferrari.

the lightweight wheels and super lightweight wheels are 4-5k upcharge.

you can set up 25-30k in options very fast. I've configured it a bunch of times in the 260-265 range without going too crazy on carbon or aesthetic stuff.

anyway- I'm pretty satisfied that they'll be able to supply me with a great car, so I'm on the list. it's not a replacement for my CGT in any way, merely an additional acquisition.

sidebar- also spoke to them about "future models" in the next 2-4 years...this first one is the equivalent of the 911 turbo, they're looking at a cab, and a more raw lighter more performance oriented one in the future
A/C delete? Just kidding.

You Texas boys are lucky; no excise tax and plenty of open roads to exercise these toys. Look forward to the review.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:38 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Did you have a chance to fiddle with the IRIS?
Old 05-26-2011, 04:30 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

no MJ- no iris at the dealer but they've got some active suspension track software for it they're developing. crazy!
Old 05-27-2011, 10:25 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts

There is no car with functioning IRIS anywhere in the world as they scrapped the original software developer and have been trying to get that element completed by a different vendor. This has caused a delay in customer car deluvery of 6-8 weeks. There are already about 60 completed cars that are only awaiting IRIS software at MTC.

What happened to the GTO?
Old 05-28-2011, 01:05 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

passed on the gto. gonna wait til this offseason and get an f40 instead. felt like that's a better move with my money
Old 05-28-2011, 08:28 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 882 Likes on 366 Posts

That is a good call!
Old 06-02-2011, 08:10 PM
dp35
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good call on F40 over GTO. What about a McLaren F1 instead? Too pricey and/or impossible to find?

Of course every car mentioned here is over the top cool, but IMO the McL F1 stands alone.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:40 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

yeah mclaren f1 is in the 2.5 mil range from what I've heard...
Old 06-03-2011, 12:03 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's one of very few 'true' investment cars.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:08 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
passed on the gto. gonna wait til this offseason and get an f40 instead. felt like that's a better move with my money
Have you tried on an F40? Hope you ain't too tall for one if that's what you want.

Quick Reply: Visit with Mclaren Dealer