Notices

thoughts on my 2024 Toyota GR86

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2024, 04:19 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Received 1,454 Likes on 520 Posts
Default thoughts on my 2024 Toyota GR86

Just picked up a 2024 GR86 in Halo white. For those who don't know, this is Toyota's rear wheel drive, manual trans, LSD-equipped, 2800 lb sports car built in conjunction with Subaru and has a very low-mounted flat 4 boxer engine, 2.4 L normally aspirated. This allows a very low center of gravity, lower than a C8. Sticker for my premium trim was $33k fully loaded, I paid slightly less. When released in 2022, this update was selling for MSRP+$2-5k. In the UK when released they sold out the entire right hand drive run tin 90 minutes.

It's a real hoot to drive. The HP and torque figures are nothing impressive, but it's the right amount of power for a lightweight affordable sports car, plenty of fun to be had. I love the very low seating position and the seat is great, very much like the manual sport seat of the 718/911 range. The manual trans is a delight and it handles great, a lot of fun to drive. I found the most interesting review to be Chris Harris taking it around the track and proposing it as a legitimate option for a true sports car enthusiast over all these big power german cars we love.

I've owned a 992, GT4, and a 981 Cayman, I would describe it in terms of driving experience as a 981 cayman base. For $32k with Toyota reliability it really can't be beat, and it looks great too IMO. I find it very liberating to be able to drive it and treat it like an everyday canyons car and not be too fussed about having to PPF it and worrying about keeping it nice, this may be my thing but I find it harder to fully enjoy a 6 figure sports car because I worry about damaging it.

The following 4 users liked this post by remington:
AngeloGTS (04-10-2024), Ksdaoski (06-24-2024), tigerhonaker (04-10-2024), Watson (04-14-2024)
Old 04-09-2024, 07:47 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,077 Posts

If it had 300hp, I guess everyone would buy it. Can’t have everything.

I point out the one downside, because, otherwise, on paper, on looks, this car appears perfect.
Old 04-09-2024, 08:18 PM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Murphy
If it had 300hp, I guess everyone would buy it. Can’t have everything.

I point out the one downside, because, otherwise, on paper, on looks, this car appears perfect.
I disagree. For the street, it has sufficient power. You can ring it out and beat the crap out of it without getting into too much trouble and have so much fun doing it.

I test drove one today before I read this and I must say I was thoroughly impressed. Chassis, steering, power, etc. Made me question my current car.
Old 04-09-2024, 09:42 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike Murphy
If it had 300hp, I guess everyone would buy it..
Totally understand the sentiment. But if it had 300 hp, it would need bigger wheels and tires and bigger brakes with all that unsprung weight, a stouter/heavier transmission, a higher center of gravity to accommodate a turbo. and then at all that extra cost you'd need a fancier interior to justify that higher price, and then you'd end up with a Supra, which has that 300 hp you're looking for and it has been a sales flop. I think Toyota has found a sweet spot with the GR86.
The following users liked this post:
pro1200 (04-22-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 09:14 AM
aero z
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

A fine choice in daily driver. I really like the feel/handling of them. I've had mine one year. Not a single issue so far. I feel its a bit underpowered sometimes but sporty enough for what it is.

Old 04-10-2024, 10:00 AM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by aero z
A fine choice in daily driver. I really like the feel/handling of them. I've had mine one year. Not a single issue so far. I feel its a bit underpowered sometimes but sporty enough for what it is.
Nice collection! Which out of the three is the most fun?
Old 04-10-2024, 10:15 AM
aero z
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Purekoryo
Nice collection! Which out of the three is the most fun?
Hard to say as they are different. The 911 is my wife's primarily. 13 years ago I rebuilt the 240z and did a LS1 swap so it feels faster accelerating than 911 (but isnt probably).

To the OP. Toyota will now try to put the old GR86 (pre-2022) oil filters if you go there to buy/service it which will work but not preferred IMO. Go to Subaru and get the BRZ filters and crush washers. Super easy DIY to change oil on GR86.

Last edited by aero z; 04-10-2024 at 10:23 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by aero z:
Purekoryo (04-13-2024), remington (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 12:17 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Good to know, although Toyota provides first 2 oil changes free....
Old 04-10-2024, 12:43 PM
aero z
Intermediate

Originally Posted by remington
Good to know, although Toyota provides first 2 oil changes free....
They will try to use those old type filters and possibly the toyota crush washer unless you bring your own (if they even let you). Mine was actually free oil changes every 6 months for 2 years which I'm passing on. I'm weird and untrusting and wont let their techs touch the car unless they have to for warranty.
Old 04-10-2024, 01:51 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Totally understand the sentiment. But if it had 300 hp, it would need bigger wheels and tires and bigger brakes with all that unsprung weight, a stouter/heavier transmission, a higher center of gravity to accommodate a turbo. and then at all that extra cost you'd need a fancier interior to justify that higher price, and then you'd end up with a Supra, which has that 300 hp you're looking for and it has been a sales flop. I think Toyota has found a sweet spot with the GR86.
You make very compelling points.

However, it’s possible the engine is already producing 250HP according to some dyno tests, so I was thinking that getting another 50HP would be possible, and was figuring maybe the car can handle the increase without any mods. Or perhaps they create an ‘S’ model that has upgraded brakes and maybe a little larger tires.
The following users liked this post:
remington (04-12-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 01:31 AM
GT4_Rick
Instructor

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

I think 300-350hp in the 86 car would be a blast, it's just not powerful enough for me. I'm not a hp numbers guy or a 0-60 guy, but I want to have confidence I can overtake cars safely and timely in my sports car and 225hp or whatever these have won't cut it especially when the person I'm overtaking does that ******* thing where they drive slow in their 300hp v6 camry, I initiate an overtake/pass, they feel the need to block my attempt and purposefully speed up to prevent me from passing.

Also I've read these engines don't do well under boost or driven hard on track days. Toyota got so much right with this 86 it came close to being a classic modern sports car like the s2000 was when that came out. The 86 looks fantastic and is a great sized car, it truly is a shame it doesn't have just a bit more power.
Old 04-22-2024, 01:41 AM
GT4_Rick
Instructor

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

Lot of assumptions there. I'm no car engineer but if Honda could get 240hp out of a 4 banger 25 years ago in the s2000 and Porsche can get 500+ hp out of a 4.0L flat 6, I don't see why Toyota couldn't get 300hp out of an NA 4 banger. IMO that'd be the direction with this platform, not forced induction. Not sure it would NEED bigger wheels/tires/brakes, at least not from factory. Toyota could leave all that as is and leave it up to the customers to upgrade as necessary. I think I read on the forums that the 86 trans holds 350ish wtq, so the trans might be fine as is since I'd propose 300hp, which for an NA engine would probably have like 250wtq or less (far below the trans threshold). I personally wouldn't need a fancier interior. If I want a nice interior I'll get a boring Lexus.

The supra is ugly as hell and it failed to deliver what the concept got everyone excited for so no surprise there on why it hasn't been a huge success.
Old 05-30-2024, 06:07 PM
MXA121
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by GT4_Rick
Lot of assumptions there. I'm no car engineer but if Honda could get 240hp out of a 4 banger 25 years ago in the s2000 and Porsche can get 500+ hp out of a 4.0L flat 6, I don't see why Toyota couldn't get 300hp out of an NA 4 banger. IMO that'd be the direction with this platform, not forced induction. Not sure it would NEED bigger wheels/tires/brakes, at least not from factory. Toyota could leave all that as is and leave it up to the customers to upgrade as necessary. I think I read on the forums that the 86 trans holds 350ish wtq, so the trans might be fine as is since I'd propose 300hp, which for an NA engine would probably have like 250wtq or less (far below the trans threshold). I personally wouldn't need a fancier interior. If I want a nice interior I'll get a boring Lexus.

The supra is ugly as hell and it failed to deliver what the concept got everyone excited for so no surprise there on why it hasn't been a huge success.
Unfortunately, remington is correct. Power game is a slippery slope. Look at a base Cayman and compare brakes, wheels, tires, etc.
Not fair to benchmark one of the greatest engines of all time to the flat four offered here. This isn't Honda or Porsche, it's Subaru. Plus the s2000 cost was way more than the 86, especially considering inflation.

Can't please everyone, GR86 is proof of that. It's cheap, fun, and functional, but it's not going to lure a GT4 owner or even a base Cayman buyer. Every time I consider one, I end up looking at Caymans again for the power/quality bump.
Old 05-30-2024, 06:15 PM
MXA121
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 70 Posts

I find it very liberating to be able to drive it and treat it like an everyday canyons car and not be too fussed about having to PPF it and worrying about keeping it nice, this may be my thing but I find it harder to fully enjoy a 6 figure sports car because I worry about damaging it.
You aren't the only one! Definitely something nice about using driving without feeling like you are damaging it.
Looks great in White!
Old 06-08-2024, 07:48 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 311 Posts

Nice car - and I’m digging the garage too.

Quick Reply: thoughts on my 2024 Toyota GR86