Notices

Is Tesla in trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 03:19 PM
N_Jay
Rennlist Member

Received 1,591 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Originally Posted by dhc905
I disagree with this. If any electric cars depend on subsidies, Tesla is the least - $7,500 tax credit means very little to a $150K MSRP car. You get the same credit on your $30,000 Volt/e-golf, which is super-significant. As a non-fan boy owner of a model S, the car is simply better than anything else out there made by ICE mfg's. If you can get over the plugging in and 300 mile range, this car runs circles around anything else on pretty much every metric.
You need to look at all the subsidies, not just the consumer tax credit.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:29 PM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

Received 1,654 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Originally Posted by dhc905
Again, if you really want to look at things objectively, very few businesses "are making it on [their] own" in the current environment.
How do you figure that? That's not even remotely close to being true.
Tesla is no different, and if anything is actually a net positive to taxpayers with the jobs they are creating for a measly government "investment" of $4.9B across all of Musk's companies.
If gov't subsidies are a net positive, then why doesn't the gov't just subsidize everything, then Utopia is just around the corner?
In it's entire history ALL of the Musk companies have gotten indirect and direct support of $4.9B. This is not "upside down", government teat-sucking operation by any stretch of the imagination.
That's not the case, as has already been pointed out. And there is nothing that says that more gov't money isn't on the way either. The lefty politics of this particular enterprise makes it more likely than most to receive taxpayer funds and gov't guarantees.
If you can concede that (and only that!), I think this conversation can actually move forward.
I will concede that you think that the electric car business should be subsidized and that I don't. That's where we differ. I don't have irrational hate for Tesla, as you seem to think. I just want Tesla to sink or swim, and leave the taxpayer out of it. Leave politics out of it. Either they can produce a product that the market desires without using taxpayer funds, or they can't.
Originally Posted by streckfu's
When you qualify $4.9B as measly.....
In context, that number is from 2015 and is from before Tesla sold offset credits to the tune of almost $1B more. Considering that the sales of such carbon offset credits is a purely government manufactured scheme, it should be additive to the total benefit.,
This is a very good point and one I meant to make earlier. Lie down with Al Gore and get up with syphilis. You can't fix that. You can only reject the entire idea.

And this is an ongoing scam. It's not one that has run its course yet.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:09 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 251 Likes on 161 Posts

Ok. I figured out the answer. It is always about money. My daughter and wife are in the communist state of CA to see Taylor Swift. My daughter just texted me that gas was $5.19/gallon.

A few years ago gas went up over $4/gallon here. Remember what happened? People ditched SUV and large cars. Now that gas is back down most of the country does not care.

But when gas is that expensive you are willing to put up with the short comings and inconvenience of an electric car.

I know there are always exceptions. Somewhere where gas is cheap someone will get an electric commuter. Or maybe someone does it for "green" reasons.

But unless the government forces it, the vast majority of people won't change.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:33 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by dgjks6
Ok. I figured out the answer. It is always about money. My daughter and wife are in the communist state of CA to see Taylor Swift. My daughter just texted me that gas was $5.19/gallon.

A few years ago gas went up over $4/gallon here. Remember what happened? People ditched SUV and large cars. Now that gas is back down most of the country does not care.

But when gas is that expensive you are willing to put up with the short comings and inconvenience of an electric car.

I know there are always exceptions. Somewhere where gas is cheap someone will get an electric commuter. Or maybe someone does it for "green" reasons.

How much gas could you buy for the price difference between a Honda Civic and a Tesla?
Old 05-15-2018, 05:59 PM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts

Just gassed up this morning, $3.42. $5+ seems like a real ripoff.

FWIW, I don't care about gas prices or "green" anything. I just wanted the greatest muscle car ever made, and it's American as well. I don't even care that it's electric, it just happens to be because this level of perf is pretty much impossible otherwise. Feels good to take the crown for something we invented back from AMG.

As far as subsidies go, I generally despise them. However, it's not very smart to hate on a company for taking advantage of them. If I were on the board of a company where the CEO refused to take an available subsidy or tax credit, I'd fire him on the spot.
The real enemy is our activist government wasting our tax dollars. Deflecting our ire to the company is us getting played by the govt. and media.

BTW, there's a website called Good Jobs First that shows how much subsidy and bailout money a company has taken.
Tesla has taken $2.4B. (That includes $1B from Nevada for the Gigafactory, but only if Tesla makes $10B there over the next 20 years.)
FCA has taken $19.8B.
GM has taken $56.4B.
Ford has taken $31.6B.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:05 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

I don't see the never. It depends on the price of petrol and if, based on that, it makes sense to go e. For example, I'd like an e-bike for around town. I'm impressed with the Zero, however, it's a silly purchase unless you simply wish an e-bike and are willing to pay about $18k for one. A good town bike today is $5k new.

If fuel were $20 / gal, yeah, it may make sense to me given not only fuel but the much lower maintenance too. I suspect the actual number is lower than $20 but I don't care because it's moot at this time.

The further issue is if petrol is $20/gal. what will the cost of electricity be? It's a heck of a leap of faith that we can up demand, what, over 100%, to convert a part of the fleet to e.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:11 PM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

Originally Posted by PeterS
As far as subsidies go, I generally despise them. However, it's not very smart to hate on a company for taking advantage of them. If I were on the board of a company where the CEO refused to take an available subsidy or tax credit, I'd fire him on the spot.
The real enemy is our activist government wasting our tax dollars. Deflecting our ire to the company is us getting played by the govt. and media.

BTW, there's a website called Good Jobs First that shows how much subsidy and bailout money a company has taken.
Tesla has taken $2.4B. (That includes $1B from Nevada for the Gigafactory, but only if Tesla makes $10B there over the next 20 years.)
FCA has taken $19.8B.
GM has taken $56.4B.
Ford has taken $31.6B.
Fire a CEO for having principles? That seems a little harsh.

Look, in the end, any electric car manufacturer is better off without subsidies. They have to figure out how to do it without that money and other fake incentives/cash cows. That's how you develop the best product and build a company that has a shot at lasting.

And pointing out previous bad acts is not in any way a defense of the situation that Tesla currently finds itself in. I wonder how many more times this will be done on this thread.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:29 PM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by PTurbo965
Fire a CEO for having principles? That seems a little harsh.
I don't think it's harsh. Personal opinions should stay personal. Encouraging corporate leaders to follow their hearts in ways that directly disadvantage the company is not only bad business but opens a door to evil things ala Google, Facebook, etc.

Look, in the end, any electric car manufacturer is better off without subsidies. They have to figure out how to do it without that money and other fake incentives/cash cows. That's how you develop the best product and build a company that has a shot at lasting.
Again, I agree without reservation that subsidies and government social engineering in general are a bad idea. Remove the word "electric" and/or "car" above and it's even more generally true.

And pointing out previous bad acts is not in any way a defense of the situation that Tesla currently finds itself in. I wonder how many more times this will be done on this thread.
You missed the point. No one is defending current subsidies based on past subsidies (I hope). Many posts in this thread imply that Tesla is somehow the only one taking subsidies, or at least taking an outsized chunk, when the opposite is true. I listed relative subsidy amounts for perspective. I would bet money those numbers are news to at least some readers.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:44 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

They need to get the GasBuddy app. We saw Taylor last weekend in Santa Clara, so if they were here, $3.60-3.90 a gallon all day. If they are in Pasadena, not sure, but likely not much more.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:48 PM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

Originally Posted by PeterS
I don't think it's harsh. Personal opinions should stay personal. Encouraging corporate leaders to follow their hearts in ways that directly disadvantage the company is not only bad business but opens a door to evil things ala Google, Facebook, etc.
The implication being that not taking the subsidies would be based on personal opinion only and bad for the company. Neither may be true.

It could be a corporate decision and be a very good decision for the company.
Again, I agree without reservation that subsidies and government social engineering in general are a bad idea. Remove the word "electric" and/or "car" above and it's even more generally true.
Then stop saying it's ok for Tesla to take them then. Stop thinking that any CEO that didn't take them should be fired.
You missed the point. No one is defending current subsidies based on past subsidies (I hope). Many posts in this thread imply that Tesla is somehow the only one taking subsidies, or at least taking an outsized chunk, when the opposite is true. I listed relative subsidy amounts for perspective. I would bet money those numbers are news to at least some readers.
The thread is about Tesla, so people will talk about the subsidies that Tesla has received. Farming subsidies could be discussed on another thread.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:50 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sundog
They need to get the GasBuddy app. We saw Taylor last weekend in Santa Clara, so if they were here, $3.60-3.90 a gallon all day. If they are in Pasadena, not sure, but likely not much more.
That could have been an anomaly but it's going to go higher from here. The last ML analyst report I saw had oil at $80 for the rest of this year and that was before the Iran deal cancelation.

In almost unbelievable news, Ford announced it will stop selling cars other than Mustang and focus (ha ha) on SUV and trucks. Smooth move.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:54 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Meanwhile, in Switzerland, Tesla kills another owner

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...trapped-inside
Old 05-15-2018, 07:29 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

I’d be curious how the death rates per 1000 cars compare between Tesla and other makes. I suspect that Tesla makes the news because of the relative scarcity of the “thermal runaway” (or whatever they call the lith ion battery fires) and not for a general lack of safety.

My main gripe about Tesla is not the cars burning themselves, but rather the cavalier way the CEO views the cash burn. It’s bad business (IMO) that could be avoided by bringing in someone who knows how to run an industrial corporation, rather than a start up.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:22 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sh944
I’d be curious how the death rates per 1000 cars compare between Tesla and other makes. I suspect that Tesla makes the news because of the relative scarcity of the “thermal runaway” (or whatever they call the lith ion battery fires) and not for a general lack of safety.

My main gripe about Tesla is not the cars burning themselves, but rather the cavalier way the CEO views the cash burn. It’s bad business (IMO) that could be avoided by bringing in someone who knows how to run an industrial corporation, rather than a start up.
I doubt there’s enough of them to make a significant mishap rate. I agree. Musk seems utterly blasé about these crashes as if they are the expected price for him to a visionary figure in automotive history.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:31 PM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sh944
I’d be curious how the death rates per 1000 cars compare between Tesla and other makes.
Is it about the death rate compared to other larger makes? Or is it about deaths specifically related to tech that is only in a Tesla?

If there is a death from an airbag that's not really the same thing as a death from exploding batteries and the fire it created.