Notices

Is Tesla in trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 12:52 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
A Saudi sovereign wealth fund invested $2B in Tesla around a week ago. There's more where that $2B came from.

But more recently the word is Saudi has no interest in a Tesla buyout/taking the stock private.

If you also eliminate China -- which is not hard to do -- that doesn't leave many candidates with the required (estimated) $40B or so. This $40B is less than the est. $72B of Tesla stock. The thinking is with around 30% of Tesla stock owned by Musk, and others, that these stock owners would not sell their shares and not all other owners of the stock would sell either so the estimate is only $40B or thereabouts would be needed to buy out Tesla stock and take it private.

Still $40B cash just doesn't grow on trees.
The stated goal is to take TSLA private. I don't see how buying out Musk's shares gets anywhere. The $420 / share price is there to guarantee all shareholders will agree to the buyout. I'm guessing most will at that price. I posted the OP on this topic. When I read the flash at, IIRC, Bloomberg, my first thought was Musk was lying in the sense that he'd approached some entity and to him, that was a done deal since he never misses.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:04 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 251 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
The stated goal is to take TSLA private. I don't see how buying out Musk's shares gets anywhere. The $420 / share price is there to guarantee all shareholders will agree to the buyout. I'm guessing most will at that price. I posted the OP on this topic. When I read the flash at, IIRC, Bloomberg, my first thought was Musk was lying in the sense that he'd approached some entity and to him, that was a done deal since he never misses.
Sorry, didn't make myself clear. The thinking is in taking Tesla private Musk and other large stake shareholders would not sell but instead retain their shares. Thus Musk with his around 30% of the shares and other owners of large blocks of shares would not put their shares up for sale. Also, it is expected a number of owners of smaller amounts of Tesla stock would not sell either.

Thus whoever decides to buy out Tesla shares doesn't have to come up with the full buyout purchase price of I think the amount I read was $78B, but something less than that. $40B or thereabouts is what some believe the buyout will cost, if it comes to that.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:46 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 898 Likes on 538 Posts

As I stated a few days ago with an article link, it is all about getting the convertible bond holders to convert to stock at $365+.

So that Musk would not have to pay off something like $900 million due next January that Tesla does not have.

Last edited by Terry Adams; 08-12-2018 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:50 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Sorry, didn't make myself clear. The thinking is in taking Tesla private Musk and other large stake shareholders would not sell but instead retain their shares. Thus Musk with his around 30% of the shares and other owners of large blocks of shares would not put their shares up for sale. Also, it is expected a number of owners of smaller amounts of Tesla stock would not sell either.

Thus whoever decides to buy out Tesla shares doesn't have to come up with the full buyout purchase price of I think the amount I read was $78B, but something less than that. $40B or thereabouts is what some believe the buyout will cost, if it comes to that.
Oh, yeah, I get you now and agree. IIRC, TSLA's capitalization was about $62B so add a stock price of $420/share to that and you'll surely get to the $70+B price often bandied about. So let's remove Musk's holdings as well as a few of his true believers and yeah, I suppose $40B or a bit over would do it.

Given Musk's record and recent instability, I think either scenario isn't likely.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:52 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 251 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
As I stated a few days ago with an article link, it is all about getting the convertible bond holders to convert to stock at $365+.

So that Musk would not have to pay off something like $900 million due next January that Tesla does have.
Missed your post but you are 100% correct. Well, except I think you meant to type: ".... $900 million due next January that Tesla does *NOT* have."
Old 08-12-2018, 01:52 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Terry Adams

So that Musk would not have to pay off something like $900 million due next January that Tesla does have.
That makes sense and while it's not a true pump and dump, it's close enough that, if true, Musk is in deep doo with the SEC.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:53 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

While that may be the case, the bond holders will still weigh what another $900+M worth of share dilution will do to future stock price. If they convert at $365 PS, but this and similar future conversion dilutions take TSLA down to say $300 PS, that would be a stupid play for the bond holders. Unless Tesla unilaterally holds the conversion option, then that is a different story. Musk can sacrifice future stock price to avoid the immediate pain of paying the bonds upon maturity.

CP
Old 08-12-2018, 02:10 PM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

Received 1,654 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Without knowing the details on the contracts for the debt obligations in Jan thru March, it's difficult to say if that is really any kind of drop dead date at all.

After all, the bondholders want to get paid, not drive Tesla into the ground.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:30 PM
N_Jay
Rennlist Member

Received 1,591 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Converting equity to debt is called "Bankruptcy".

Musk is just trying to do it outside the courts and without using the word.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:07 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Missed your post but you are 100% correct. Well, except I think you meant to type: ".... $900 million due next January that Tesla does *NOT* have."
Thanks, corrected.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:07 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PTurbo965
Without knowing the details on the contracts for the debt obligations in Jan thru March, it's difficult to say if that is really any kind of drop dead date at all.

After all, the bondholders want to get paid, not drive Tesla into the ground.
Had not thought about the bond contract.

At the current cash burn rate Tesla is already headed for the ground.

I would rather take cash than stock at $365.

If that's the bond holders' option that is what Musk is trying to avoid with his go private tweet.

His board is a bunch of yes men afraid to be fired.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:21 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 358 Likes on 211 Posts

His board is a bunch of yes men afraid to be fired.
You forgot the guy named "Nicole".

But seriously this is fun to watch. "I love my new Model 3. It has the brakes of a Dodge Dart and an Apple II Plus on the dash. And it was so easy to buy!"
Old 08-13-2018, 01:35 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by George from MD
But seriously this is fun to watch. "I love my new Model 3. It has the brakes of a Dodge Dart and an Apple II Plus on the dash. And it was so easy to buy!"
iPad Pro as the dash, just for accuracy. And I'll test those Dodge Dart brakes at the autocross this weekend against a few Porsches. I suspect they'll do more than fine, but we'll see.

I hope you've driven one before knocking it?
Old 08-13-2018, 03:58 PM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

Received 1,654 Likes on 1,060 Posts

If the Saudis buy Tesla and it goes under, that will launch a whole new wave of liberal documentary movies on the conspiracy against the electric car.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:58 PM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 123 Posts

Yep.

It's getting warm. Martha Stewart went away for less.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...investigation/