Notices

Tesla is disruptive

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 11:53 PM
rajctt
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Tesla is disruptive

I have a CTT as daily driver. And looking for another car for weekend fun. As part of this search, I have evaluated various cars like PTT, 911TT, Cali etc.

For long I had resisted test driving a Tesla thinking they don’t make “fun” cars. I was so off. This weekend I drove a Model S P100D. It is one amazing car, brutally fast with supercar performance, instant torque, decent handling with low center of gravity. It was an eye opening experience. Everything else is feeling so slugging now including the CTT. Clearly the interior build quality is nowhere near Porsche, but I think Tesla will bridge the gap in coming years. After the drive, I read up extensively the Tesla forums. Clearly the owners are very passionate about their vehicles. And they have a point. EV is so much superior technology than ICE.

Check out these threads for additional perspectives. There are numerous examples of converts from other luxury makers including Porsche to Tesla. And they are very happy.

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forum...till-fun-drive
https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forum...r-model-s-p85d

I am intrigued about the future of luxury car makers like Porsche. EV is disruptive technology and it is here to stay. Transmission, gears, PDK, sound are all vestiges of ICE technology and I feel they will see substantial changes. Porsche really needs to up its game on EV and re-invent fun driver oriented vehicles.

What do you think?
Old 01-16-2018, 12:03 AM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

"For long I had resisted test driving a Tesla thinking they don’t make “fun” cars. I was so off. This weekend I drove a Model S P100D. It is one amazing car, brutally fast with supercar performance for one lap."

I fixed that for you. I have a Tesla M3 on order so I'm not a Tesla hater but they are not performance cars in the sports car sense. The batteries heat up and pull power. They are nowhere near being able to stay with a true sports car/supercar for more than a minute or two.

With that said I've driven a P90D and was really impressed. The early cars, 2012/13 had some QC issues but they've come a long way. The M3 will be my wife's commuter car.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:12 AM
rajctt
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

True, ModelS is not a sports car. As a daily driver with say 50 miles commute, won't it come close to supercar performance when you need it. It has the practicality of a DD and very high on fun side.
On the other hand, they are everywhere and don't feel so special. Also, the interior is below par for that price.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:14 AM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

They are everywhere here in CA. Not sure about outside the state. I'm not commuting in my supercar. I take supercars to the track.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:23 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

How did it sound?

Just kidding.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:48 AM
socalpcarfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rajctt
I have a CTT as daily driver. And looking for another car for weekend fun. As part of this search, I have evaluated various cars like PTT, 911TT, Cali etc.

For long I had resisted test driving a Tesla thinking they don’t make “fun” cars. I was so off. This weekend I drove a Model S P100D. It is one amazing car, brutally fast with supercar performance, instant torque, decent handling with low center of gravity. It was an eye opening experience. Everything else is feeling so slugging now including the CTT. Clearly the interior build quality is nowhere near Porsche, but I think Tesla will bridge the gap in coming years. After the drive, I read up extensively the Tesla forums. Clearly the owners are very passionate about their vehicles. And they have a point. EV is so much superior technology than ICE.

Check out these threads for additional perspectives. There are numerous examples of converts from other luxury makers including Porsche to Tesla. And they are very happy.

I am intrigued about the future of luxury car makers like Porsche. EV is disruptive technology and it is here to stay. Transmission, gears, PDK, sound are all vestiges of ICE technology and I feel they will see substantial changes. Porsche really needs to up its game on EV and re-invent fun driver oriented vehicles.

What do you think?
I’d say buy the tesla and then add sports Exhaust
Old 01-16-2018, 04:37 AM
hillsdonsmith
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraFahrer
"For long I had resisted test driving a Tesla thinking they don’t make “fun” cars. I was so off. This weekend I drove a Model S P100D. It is one amazing car, brutally fast with supercar performance for one lap."

I fixed that for you. I have a Tesla M3 on order so I'm not a Tesla hater but they are not performance cars in the sports car sense. The batteries heat up and pull power. They are nowhere near being able to stay with a true sports car/supercar for more than a minute or two.

With that said I've driven a P90D and was really impressed. The early cars, 2012/13 had some QC issues but they've come a long way. The M3 will be my wife's commuter car.
How many laps do the Formula E cars go? R & D is headed to Form E now for Porsche, Audi etc. Will be some good trickle down tech.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:56 AM
hillsdonsmith
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rajctt

What do you think?
I agree. As soon as I started driving one daily, I thought why the hell would we drive anything but electric in town or hwy as daily? Smooth, torquey, no hesitation, tech is v good and frequent free over air upgrades (eg Model X 0-60 time improved from 6.0 seconds to 4.9 s w free over air uncorking of the basic 75 kW battery in 5500 lb SUV. ). With Porsche ICE that's a $60k powerkit

The model S was a great first car but agree feels dated and rides like a bit of a dog comp to X which has std air suspension now, minimalist but modern & pleasant interior. Windscreen fantastic. Have had mine x 3 months and 6k km so far and $1800 saved in gas.

Tesla has some minor fit and finish issues still but guess what? They apologise and own it and dont start BS'ng like so many brands.

A friend complained about some minor paint issues w his X considering price point (P100D Model X $$$). They told him to go to high end shop of his choice and leave an open invoice and get whatev he wants done. That's service.

Ever try to get any decent customer service from Mercedes? Nightmare. Here in Vancouver they treat you like have something from dog's ICE stuck to shoe.

I save the air cooled and RS for wkend rips!

Cheers
Mark
Old 01-16-2018, 08:37 AM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 213 Posts

I wouldn't buy an electric car.

I just prefer the sound of a Porsche gas engine. I have three of them.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:19 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default Porsche Vs Tesla Service

Wow, this is good to hear. Porsxhe has always made such an outstanding product that people put up with crappy service just to own the product. Imagine if someone makes a great product and provides real customer centric service.

A great example is our failing valve solinoids. Porsche knows what they sold us is crap and there is a TSB along with a new redesigned part (new #) that won't prematurely fail. As opposed to replacing these under warranty dealerships are insisting on replacing only failed units.

A great example of poor service from a top tier manufacturer. It is a shame they make such a great product.

QUOTE=hillsdonsmith;14733771]

I agree. As soon as I started driving one daily, I thought why the hell would we drive anything but electric in town or hwy as daily? Smooth, torquey, no hesitation, tech is v good and frequent free over air upgrades (eg Model X 0-60 time improved from 6.0 seconds to 4.9 s w free over air uncorking of the basic 75 kW battery in 5500 lb SUV. ). With Porsche ICE that's a $60k powerkit

The model S was a great first car but agree feels dated and rides like a bit of a dog comp to X which has std air suspension now, minimalist but modern & pleasant interior. Windscreen fantastic. Have had mine x 3 months and 6k km so far and $1800 saved in gas.

Tesla has some minor fit and finish issues still but guess what? They apologise and own it and dont start BS'ng like so many brands.

A friend complained about some minor paint issues w his X considering price point (P100D Model X $$$). They told him to go to high end shop of his choice and leave an open invoice and get whatev he wants done. That's service.

Ever try to get any decent customer service from Mercedes? Nightmare. Here in Vancouver they treat you like have something from dog's ICE stuck to shoe.

I save the air cooled and RS for wkend rips!

Cheers
Mark
[/QUOTE]
Old 01-17-2018, 02:23 PM
F1tifosi
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 50 Posts

Owned a P90D and loved it, though the interior (outside of the iPad center console) was not quite worth the $140k sticker I paid. The amazing thing about owning a Tesla is that every week and or month can be like Christmas. You can wake up and your car may have a new capability that is downloaded while you sleep (everything from radio/entertainment to self-driving).

Unlike almost every other car brand who once the car is sold will NEVER update your existing Nav/Entertainment/driving options/etc. because they want to sell you the "next model", Tesla continues to invest in improving the actual car you drive today, not just the one they want you to buy in the future. They are not perfect by any stretch, but their commitment to ownership engagement is unlike any other luxury brand I have experienced.

The ride (feel/acceleration/etc.) is great in a straight line and though the Model S does not corner very well, the ownership experience was more fun than with any of my prior BMW's and Mercs.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:41 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
How did it sound?

Just kidding.
almost like this:

Kidding.

Tesla is an interesting concept but it depends on where you live. In California there is plenty of support for charging stations. In the southeast there is not. Also - Tesla is in massive amounts of debt with no path to profitability. It's a Ponzi scheme by definition which puts long term support for the car at risk for a car company that hides it's lack of reliability extremely well. That and driving one is as fun as playing with slot cars in the attic as a kid.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:54 PM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Tesla is an interesting concept but it depends on where you live. In California there is plenty of support for charging stations. In the southeast there is not. Also - Tesla is in massive amounts of debt with no path to profitability. It's a Ponzi scheme by definition which puts long term support for the car at risk for a car company that hides it's lack of reliability extremely well. That and driving one is as fun as playing with slot cars in the attic as a kid.
Here, here!

https://gizmodo.com/elon-musk-has-al...-bi-1822519339
Old 02-01-2018, 09:09 PM
MikeF_Vossen
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a road trip with Novitec in their Model X in some snowy conditions in Germany last month and was blown away by the vehicle. They are big fans which says a lot considering they traditionally cater to exotics. I thought it was really cool having to plan appropriately to reach superchargers instead of going for gas.

In Europe I believe the Model S is the #1 selling car in its class and it has put a hurt on most everything in the USA not Panamera or S-class...
Old 02-01-2018, 09:25 PM
urbanscribe
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

On that point here are a snapshot before the year end numbers come in.

Quick Reply: Tesla is disruptive