Notices
New Member Welcome Area New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what P-Car you own. Save your vehicle related questions for the technical discussion areas.

Anyone mind giving some guidance? New member. First time porsche owner.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2024 | 12:36 PM
AEP
6th Gear

Default Anyone mind giving some guidance? New member. First time porsche owner.

Hello from canada, ive recently purchased a 99 carrera with a 997.2 front end. Its a bit of a project car.

​​​​​I would like to change the rear wing to another GT style wing, it appears to me like it might be a GT3 cup wing, and was wondering if i am to sell it what value would be reasonable to ask.

As well i am looking for 997.2 Bumper lights

Or just a porsche friend to talk cars with!
Old 04-06-2024 | 12:12 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Hello and welcome!

I like the color of your car.

It looks to me like you’ve got an aftermarket front bumper cover and 991 style headlights, aftermarket LED tail lights, and most likely an aftermarket GT3 rear wing. The car appears to have 997 side mirrors and wheels. I don’t have any idea how much you can get if you sell the rear wing. If it’s aftermarket and not an actual GT3 wing, then I doubt that you’d get much for it.

If you decide to do a rear facelift and install 997.2 tail lights, then be prepared to spend quite a bit. It can be done, but it’s not cheap. It requires a new bumper cover, some new support structures underneath the bumper cover, new tail lights, new wiring harnesses, etc. It would be cheaper and easier to find some aftermarket tail lights that you like. Unfortunately, most of them are cheaply made Chinese junk, and they often look out of place with the original lines and design of the car.

What is your goal with the car as a project car? I think that would be a nice car to restore to factory original spec.

Old 04-06-2024 | 12:32 PM
AEP
6th Gear

Thanks for the info, the whole front end appears to be from a 997.2 gt3 (minus whatever the headlights are) unless you have a reason to believe the front bumper is aftermarket? The wing appears to be from a 996 GT3 cup car which seems to be expensive to buy based on a quick google search. But this could also be an aftermarket version. The taillights i believe are aftermarket already too!

As far as goals id like to fix it mechanically and clean it up a bit cosmetically but i do like the parts that are on it now for the most part. I did remove the added GT3 badge. I enjoy the parts bin special of different Porsches that have come together in this one car.
Old 04-06-2024 | 01:01 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I don’t know if your front bumper cover is a Porsche OE part or not, but it’s unlikely that it’s a genuine part. Several companies made 997 GT3 style bumper covers that were designed to bolt onto the 996, as well as full front end facelift kits. It does appear that your car also has updated fenders and an updated bonnet. Again - I don’t know if they are genuine parts or not. It’s considerably more expensive to use OE parts. Can you tell if the fenders are metal or if they’re a polyurethane or fiberglass product?

The rear wing looks definitely a bit like the 996 GT3 Cup wing. I’d be quite surprised if it’s an OE Porsche part because of cost, but I have no idea. That said, it doesn’t really matter. If you like the look or someone else does, then it’s all good.

Good luck with your project!
Old 04-06-2024 | 01:03 PM
AEP
6th Gear

Thanks alot of great information i appreciate it!

Quick Reply: Anyone mind giving some guidance? New member. First time porsche owner.