Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

HV Hybrid Battery on 2014 Panamera

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2023, 01:00 PM
Buckeyesfl
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HV Hybrid Battery on 2014 Panamera

We are brand new to this forum and this is our first post. In August of 2017 we purchased a used 2014 Panamera Hybrid with 23,000 miles on it. In June of 2019 the HV battery died and after 30 days of negotiating with the Porsche dealership they replaced the battery under warranty. At the time they said a new battery would cost $40,000. This month, January of 2023, the battery would not start so Porsche towed it to the dealership and told us we need a new battery at a cost of $40,000 because the battery is not covered under our extended warranty plan we purchased from the Porsche dealership. We have 19,600 miles on the car since the last, new battery was installed. I called Porsche America and they told us there wasn't anything they could do to help us offset the cost of the battery. Does anyone have a recommendation on what options we might have? The value of the car is equal to or less than the cost of a new HV battery so it doesn't make sense to replace the battery, especially given the history of the problems we've had. Is this a common occurrence with Porsche HV batteries? Thank you for any help provided.
Old 01-17-2023, 01:37 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

Who is the extended warranty company that was offered to you at the Porsche dealership?

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

Old 01-17-2023, 02:57 PM
Buckeyesfl
4th Gear

The Vehicle Service Protection document shows Porsche Financial Services - Porsche Protection Plan and the Selling Dealer Information is the local Porsche dealer we have been taking the Panamera to since we purchased it.
Old 01-17-2023, 03:04 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckeyesfl
The Vehicle Service Protection document shows Porsche Financial Services - Porsche Protection Plan and the Selling Dealer Information is the local Porsche dealer we have been taking the Panamera to since we purchased it.
Must be Safe Guard then... the warranty is underwritten by an entirely difference company, and like you've experienced, Porsche North America will not do anything on your behalf to sort out the issue.
Old 01-17-2023, 03:45 PM
slipaway37
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 113 Posts

We are brand new to this forum and this is our first post. In August of 2017 we purchased a used 2014 Panamera Hybrid with 23,000 miles on it. In June of 2019 the HV battery died and after 30 days of negotiating with the Porsche dealership they replaced the battery under warranty. At the time they said a new battery would cost $40,000. This month, January of 2023, the battery would not start so Porsche towed it to the dealership and told us we need a new battery at a cost of $40,000 because the battery is not covered under our extended warranty plan we purchased from the Porsche dealership. We have 19,600 miles on the car since the last, new battery was installed. I called Porsche America and they told us there wasn't anything they could do to help us offset the cost of the battery. Does anyone have a recommendation on what options we might have? The value of the car is equal to or less than the cost of a new HV battery so it doesn't make sense to replace the battery, especially given the history of the problems we've had. Is this a common occurrence with Porsche HV batteries? Thank you for any help provided.
READ THIS:https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post18577150
Old 01-17-2023, 03:53 PM
slipaway37
Rennlist Member

Porsche Hybrid Battery Warranty:
Hybrid vehicles also enjoy coverage under the Porsche New Limited Warranty. Yet, with a Porsche Cayenne Hybrid battery warranty or a Porsche Taycan battery warranty, you’ll actually enjoy longer coverage for your vehicle. High-voltage hybrid batteries are protected for up to 8 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.

What Does the Porsche Battery Warranty Not Cover?
The Porsche battery warranty coverage, like the rest of the New Car Limited Warranty Coverage, is designed to protect against defects. Because of this, there are some limitations to what your warranty will cover, including damage from:

• Improper storage
  • Lack of normal vehicle use
  • non-Porsche approved electrical or accessory installation
Given that the above usage stipulations are met, one could argue that the replacement provided under warranty June 2019 is covered until 2027?
Old 01-17-2023, 03:56 PM
slipaway37
Rennlist Member

​​​​​​Hybrid and EV battery warranty coverage often lasts longer.
Federal law requires automakers to ensure EV and hybrid batteries last for at least eight years or 100,000 miles.
California goes even further, requiring a 10-year, 150,000-mile warranty on EV and hybrid batteries.
Old 01-18-2023, 06:02 PM
Buckeyesfl
4th Gear

We bought the car used and in 2019 the Porsche dealership "replaced" the Hybrid battery under warranty. Since the dealership did this, can this "new" battery fall under the 8-year/100,000 mile warranty? A local mechanic told me today they might not have replaced the battery but fixed some cells although the paperwork clearly states the battery was replaced. Should a replaced battery carry a warranty from Porsche or the dealership? Also, how can I tell if the battery was replaced or repaired?
Thank you to everyone who has replied and helped us.
Old 01-18-2023, 06:11 PM
slipaway37
Rennlist Member

We bought the car used and in 2019 the Porsche dealership "replaced" the Hybrid battery under warranty. Since the dealership did this, can this "new" battery fall under the 8-year/100,000 mile warranty? A local mechanic told me today they might not have replaced the battery but fixed some cells although the paperwork clearly states the battery was replaced. Should a replaced battery carry a warranty from Porsche or the dealership? Also, how can I tell if the battery was replaced or repaired?
Thank you to everyone who has replied and helped us.
I would not bother attempting to determine a new or refurbished/repaired battery as the "new" in their invoice nails them from a legal perspective.
Take that replacement invoice to your Porsche service advisor along with the EV warranty stipulations, then see what he/she does. If not happy take to the service manager, then GM, etc.
If they all offer no remedy, contact PNA HQ in ATL.
Send me a PM if your efforts with the local Porsche dealer fail as I have a friend at the ATL HQ.
You will need to first do your due diligence which understandably can be a PITA, but well worth a $40K effort!
IMO any new EV battery would fall under same warranty period.
Old 01-19-2023, 11:06 AM
orca15
Pro

Received 255 Likes on 171 Posts

Meanwhile, search for a third party battery refurb. They are starting to pop up. One in Cali has batteries for well under 10K. Shipping it there and back and you are still at 30% of the Porsche tax price.
Old 01-19-2023, 06:36 PM
amphicar770
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 113 Posts

So sorry to hear this.

Yes, these batteries seem ti have a high failure rate and Porsche's handling of the situation is a disgrace. Well beyond the Porsche tax, it is unethical gouging.

Unfortunately, the HV battery in this series, while priced like a giant Tesla battery (60-100 kWh), is only about the same size / capacity of what you will find in a Prius (9.4 kWh). Unlike most hybrids, which will continue operating in gas mode, the Panamers becomes a brick and Porsche holds you hostage to fix it.

Replacing the Porsche 9.4 kWh battery costs as much or more to replace as the Tesla 100kWh+, or 6x the cost of the similar size Toyota battery. The life expectancy of the Porsch battery is 1/2 of those others. Fanbois call that "superior German Engineering".

I have yet to see aftermarket alternatives, though you may get lucky. There was rumor of Chinese batteries on alibabba.

My own CPO expires at year end. It will either be sold by then or I will get a Fidelity warranty.

Good luck.

Old 01-20-2023, 12:40 AM
amphicar770
Racer

The place in CA shows them for $12,500 plus shipping with 1 year warranty. Oddly, it states that capacity is only 80% of original. I am guessing they replace only those cells which test bad.

https://acehybridgroup.com/product/p...-2014-to-2018/

Note that similar sized or larger batteries for almost any other vehicle they support runs between $1,500 and $5k. Those generally also offer a longer warranty option.

I suppose that once it is fixed you might be able to cancel the worthless warranty the dealer sold you and get a pro-rated reimbursement. Then, should you decide to keep the car, get the Fidelity warranty instead.

Last edited by amphicar770; 01-20-2023 at 12:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Highline-Autos.com (01-20-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 06:33 PM
sac02
Pro

Received 217 Likes on 154 Posts

... Is this a common occurrence with Porsche HV batteries [and Porsche service denials]? ...
Anecdotally, on this forum? Yes.
Old 01-25-2023, 09:02 AM
amphicar770
Racer

Originally Posted by sac02
Anecdotally, on this forum? Yes.
I also have a Pacifica hybrid which has a very active forum community as well. Like every vehicle, those also have their flaws. Failure of the HV battery is pretty much unheard of. Large Chrysler dealer near me has never replaced one, Porsche dealer near me has replaced several within warranty. Mine is among them after it failed just within federal warranty period.

I doubtI Porsche will release thise statistics, so it is all anecdotal. Just like IMS bearings and coolant leaks. Real issues that Porsche and fanbois will claim to be myths.

Last edited by amphicar770; 01-25-2023 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-28-2023, 09:31 PM
amphicar770
Racer

And yet one more comparison point. 17.4 kWh battery for Honda Clarity hybrid. Approximately 2x the capacity of the $25k Porsche battery.
Part #1D100-5WJ-A02
MSRP $5550.44

Last edited by amphicar770; 01-29-2023 at 04:02 PM.

Quick Reply: HV Hybrid Battery on 2014 Panamera