Notices
New Member Welcome Area New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what P-Car you own. Save your vehicle related questions for the technical discussion areas.

2nd gear grinding when shifting

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2022 | 12:46 AM
718CaymanT

Default 2nd gear grinding when shifting

Hello 718 Drivers,

Has anyone experienced grinding into 2nd gear with their 6 speed manual? Sometimes, I am gettting gear grinding when shifting into 2nd. This happens on random occasions both when up shifting from 1st as well as when down shifting from 3rd regardless of RPMs. Double-clutching does not help. 2nd gear just grinds randomly when it wants too. I beleive the Ts come with the same short shifter as the GT4s "red" numbering on the shift ****. My Cayaman T is a 2021. There is also a downshift "rev-matching" feature that is avactive depending on driving mode.

I mentioned this to the Porsche dealer where the purchase was made after 3 occurance. I brought it in for a test drive with inspection. The dealer claimed that they could not duplicate the grinding, so would not inspect further than a visual check. I asked them how far they drove and they reported, a coupole miles. They suggested that I was not pushing the clutch in all the way and asked if I knew how to drive a manual trans car. I have driven manual sports cars for my entire life and I'm 47. I took the car to another Porsche dealer and reported the issue and I got the identical resposne...could not duplicate on short test drive. Has anyone dealt wiith Porsche with a similar situation?

There is now 20K miles in 12 months. One thing is for sure, this is not good for the transmission. This is my 1st Porsche and my 1st brand new car. I have read and heard that Porsche has excellent manual transmissions with great shifting action. Do I have a customer service issue with Porsche or shall I keep pestering the dealership? Any advise or recommendations will be much appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Michael

Last edited by 718CaymanT; 05-04-2022 at 12:48 AM.
Old 05-06-2022 | 01:22 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

I own several manual Porsches including 992 911, GT3, GT4, Spyder and few others….usually the GT cars doesn’t have any issues with shifting between 1st and 2nd and I suspect it has to do with their linkage, but my 992 2021 911 targa 4S with now 4000 miles and also my previous 991 2017 911 Targa has an occasional grind or sometimes pop out of 2nd gear. Usually it happens when the car is cold, and the also noticed it more, when rev matching option is selected like in sport mode and car is cold. It usually does not happen after car is warmed up. I remember I was so bothered with this on my old 2017 911 Targa and I ended up taking it to dealership half dozen times with same response that it can’t be repeated. At the end I had them install a GT4 linkage on my 2017 911, which fits perfectly and made the shifting so much better in general, but occasionally but less frequently I would still get an occasional grind. I stopped worrying about it and drove the car for 5 yrs and 46K miles including many track and Autocross events and traded it to the new 992 911 targa which I am noticing is doing it occasionally so I am thinking of installing either new GT4 or perhaps new GT3 shifter like did on my old car. Not too worried about it. My theory it has something to do with the rev matching feature and that at times it doesn’t match perfectly. Just drive the car and enjoy it and try to be a little careful until car is warm. Good luck

Last edited by mqandil; 05-06-2022 at 01:24 PM.

Quick Reply: 2nd gear grinding when shifting