Notices
New Member Welcome Area New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what P-Car you own. Save your vehicle related questions for the technical discussion areas.

Hi...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2021, 12:15 PM
XxDesmoxX
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi...

Hi everyone, I'm a fellow gear head.

I ride and track several motorcycles. I love speed and the challenge of going quickly on a track.

Ever since my motorcycle adventures, I had given up on performance cars b/c they really couldn't compete with the thrill of 2wheels.

Now I'm older (sigh) and am looking to get a Porsche. I'm not sure what model but I will be starting a thread soon.

Cheers!
Old 10-13-2021, 08:12 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 718 Likes on 480 Posts

Welcome!
The following users liked this post:
XxDesmoxX (10-14-2021)
Old 10-13-2021, 09:43 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,776 Likes on 1,111 Posts

What kind of bikes you ride might help us figure out what car you might enjoy! Welcome!
XxDesmoxX (10-14-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 09:36 AM
Limey Hooligan
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Welcome! I did the same thing, getting on in years now so I gave up the motorcycling and turned to Porsche!

It just seemed that the risk was getting too high to ride a fast bike... as you get older you think more of recovery time and cost to fix broken body parts!

I went through a few Kawasakis (ZRX1200, Concours 1400, ZX1400R) and a KTM 1200 SA before settling on my awesome Porsche GT3. Can't say I miss the bikes!
XxDesmoxX (10-14-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 08:08 PM
XxDesmoxX
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm,, it's been 3 days and I still can't post a new thread? My account has been activated.

As for the bikes I ride; I tour/travel/camp on a Ducati Multistrada 1200; a jack of all trades bike. It's a big comfy sofa with a race motor and suspension that can stiffen up for the twisties or loosen up for Interstate travel. It's big and heavy though. My track bike is an Aprilia RSV4; a street bike derived from MotoGP technology; light, fast, great brakes, adjustable swingarm/head stock/engine position to be able to better adjust to each track (none of which I've ever touched b/c I'm not that good). hehehe The last bike is a Honda NSR50; a bike originally made for 10year olds and with a 50cc two stroke engine (7.5 hp) which completely takes power out of the equation; when tracking it (believe it or not other grown men race these things) it's ALL about corner speed, smoothness and NOT using the brakes (when every fiber in your body is telling you to BRAKE).

What I'm looking for in a Porsche is a weekend car and something I can buy/use without breaking the bank. I'm looking at the 996 b/c of this guys video right
. I'm not necessarily looking for the highest powered version (the Turbo's go for nearly twice as much as the base models) but I'm also entertaining the Panamera or the Cayenne just because they are so cheap for what you get. I'm trying to stay under $30k but I can come up a few thousand or 10.

I'm considering Porsche b/c just like Toyota they have AWESOME resale. I owned a 2006 BMW 650 which I bought for 86k and sold for 6k 13 years later. If instead I would have bought the 911, I would have had much better resale not to mention all the BS BMW issues.

Ideally, I would like to own a car and in a few years sell it for more money b/c the auto world is changing; turbo's. hybrids, batteries. I'm hoping an authentic car (no screens, drive modes, active suspension etc...) will fetch BIG dollars in the future.

I realize chasing Hp can be an expensive attraction, but if you all (you're the experts, and I'm here to gather your expertise) would suggest a particular model to be more lucrative in the future (say a 996 TurboS vs a Carrera2) I'm all ears, please school me.

I know the above logic flies in the face of the Panamera and Cayenne but they are SO CHEAP! It's damn tempting. I do have a feeling they are cheap (just like my BMW650) b/c they are riddled with known issues and super expensive to maintain.

Thanks for your time and in advance for your comments,

Cheers!
Old 10-14-2021, 09:03 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,776 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Based on all that, I recommend test driving a few different models to see what you like!

Quick Reply: Hi...