Notices
New Member Welcome Area New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what P-Car you own. Save your vehicle related questions for the technical discussion areas.

First Time Porsche 944 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2021, 05:38 PM
Swendog
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Time Porsche 944 Owner

Hi- Just joined the forum after a year or so lurking. Rennlist along with Clark's Garage have been invaluable resources in helping me find my first Porsche- an '87 944. I've been a long-time wrencher (first American Muscle- '71 Nova SS, '69 Vette)...owned a '74 Pantera for 10 years, then spent the last 10 years on various BMWs (E36 M3, E46 M3, E46 330i ZHP, and currently own an E30 325i). The 944 drives much like my E36 M3- albeit with less power than the M3. But I just love the lines of the 944...classic 80s! I found a two-owner car (guy I bought it from purchased it in '89). He had a ton a decent maintenance history and- with recent (NOV 2020) timing & balance shaft belts, water pump, re-sealed front engine, and re-sealed oil cooler. Body is solid with no accidents, but needs some TLC (rear hatch delaminating and some interior clean-up. I will be doing a suspension overhaul myself this fall- plan to do the modification to front (sealed) struts and install Konis all-around along with all new bushings where needed. My list also includes the only944 short shift package (I installed a Z3 shifter in my E30- hopefully the Porsche short shift will be as dramatic!). I installed the round throttle cam- what a difference that made. I have replaced the 17" Cup 1 replica wheels with a set of OEM 16 x 8 and 16 x 7 phone dials which I refinished and some new rubber). I posted up the 17" Cup Rep wheels For Sale. Always open to advice!

Swen
Old 02-12-2022, 03:28 PM
HeavyKevy68
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just purchased my first 944 Turbo a month ago! I've already had the fuel injectors rebuilt, replaced the fuel lines and sorted out a bunch of vacuum issues. It's running pretty well right now but I will continue to sort it out. My shifter is sloppier than I would expect, so I too would like to tighten it up and possibly shorten the throw. Not sure if I will try replacing bushings first or go with an aftermarket unit. Upgrading bushings in the suspension components is next on my list as well as determining if my shocks need rebuilding or replacing. Fun ride so far, good luck!

Quick Reply: First Time Porsche 944 Owner