Notices

Possible Group Install Clearplex Windshield Protection Film

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 09:50 PM
FNWY2004
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Possible Group Install Clearplex Windshield Protection Film

I have been looking to get this done. Unfortunately there aren't any shops( at least I can't locate) up this way who use this film. Rick at Unique Car Care in Wakefield has one other customer who wants this. If anyone else is interested, he is going to try to get someone from clearplex to come up for the installs. Below is the email from Rick and the link to the Clearplex site.

Glad you're happy with the install.

I have another customer who is interested in Clearplex as well.

There are not too many people out there that install it (very difficult), but I'm working on having a rep from the company come to my shop for a few installs.

Let me know if any Porsche friends of yours might be interested as well to make it worth it for the guy to fly in for the installs.

I'll get back to you with more details.

http://www.clearplex.com/

Is anyone else interested?
Old 04-16-2012, 11:50 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Well I'm not sure if Rick is referring to me or not, if he isn't then add me to the list. I have been pushing him to get this since having the full front done last year. My Spyder windshield already has a nice rock chip and after seeing what the local glass company did to my DD to replace the glass (scratches, loose trim, damage to A-Pillar Trim) I definitely don't want anyone touching my windshield and I'm willing to give this a shot.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:57 PM
TheBlau
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would guess there aren't many or any shops who install this in MA since insurance has zero-deductible glass included...

What does something like this typically cost?
Old 04-18-2012, 01:40 AM
FNWY2004
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlau
I would guess there aren't many or any shops who install this in MA since insurance has zero-deductible glass included...

What does something like this typically cost?
I'm not really interested in having the glass ripped out of the car and replaced even if MA has a zero deductible. The factory glass is more important to me than having to fight the insurance company to get factory glass. From what I gatthered from another RL member in another area the cost would be somewhere in the 150-200 ballpark. Rick is getting some numbers together soon, so we'll have to wait and see what he comes up with.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:24 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

The MA insurance policies will not normally cover OE glass unless you fight with them as already noted. More importantly, finding a good installer is much more difficult and there are many things that can go wrong (scratches in paint, incorrect trim installation, leaks).

I've heard the windshield covers run between $100 - $150 and as far as I know there is only one supplier that makes a film that is optically clear enough to work.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:29 AM
TheBlau
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For 100-150 that seems like a reasonable expense. I'd be in for one in a couple weeks - I'll have a brand new windshield on the car as soon as the paint is finished.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:01 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
More importantly, finding a good installer is much more difficult and there are many things that can go wrong (scratches in paint, incorrect trim installation, leaks).
+1

I wouldn't take one of these cars to an average glass shop. I would find out who the high end dealers recommend (be it a Porsche dealer, Ferrari New England, or AM/Lotus of New England).
Old 05-17-2012, 09:00 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bump, anyone else interested in having this done?
Old 05-17-2012, 09:39 AM
ferik
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Interesting stuff. Slightly OT but what does it cost to have the front of the car done with transparent protection and who does it locally?

Quick Reply: Possible Group Install Clearplex Windshield Protection Film