Notices

RI/SE Mass Posche Mechanics

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 10:22 AM
robG
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RI/SE Mass Posche Mechanics

While it seems like everyone enjoys doing their own work around here, I was wondering if anyone had a lead on a decent (Porsche) mechanic in RI? I had sent out a few PM's to RI Rennlisters and have no response, so I thought I'd start a thread.

I am in Newport, RI and just acquired an '86 951 and will need a decent mechanic for some of the stuff I would rather not tackle myself. Inskip would be the shop of last resort, I was just wondering if there really were no other options.

If I can get a few items sorted in time, I am really excited about the prospect of meeting up in Newport to show off cars, chat, etc.

TIA
Rob
Old 06-18-2009, 10:25 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Check with Randolph Racing. I believe the owners name is Kevin.

If they aren't comfortable doing the work they will recommend someone who can.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:34 AM
robG
Intermediate

Thanks for the lead, the website is impressive and it looks like they have quite a bit of experience. The only downside is that it is a solid hour each way from Newport, which makes regular service a bit tricky. I will definitely keep the site bookmarked in the event I can't find a qualified independent shop a bit closer ....
Old 06-18-2009, 11:17 AM
flat12boxer
Racer

Hi Rob,
I didn't get any PM from you so...
I am looking for a RI source as well. I have an independent in North Providence at the moment that used to work on Ferraris/Lambos/Porsches in the 80s and now they do mainly everyday cars (friend of my dads). He may end up doing the bigger work on my car (timing belt, the more advanced general maintenance, etc.) I had a small exhaust leak on the the old emission plug in that they mig welded for me. If I hear anything new I will let you know.

In my opinion I wouldn't even go to Inskip. I don't know how often they work on the "old" stuff like ours, I know they still do the usual older 911s & turbos, etc. If I found out they had a real good old school mechaninc I might consider it, but not at the 90-120/hr for labor if a guy is working on C4Ss and GT2/3s all day. I would think the perceived value of time from the mechanics point might be different.

Also, I don't know if it applies to old cars, but a client of mine (younger kid) had a 00 or 02 C4S coupe and he couldn't get out of the dealer for less than 6-800 every time. Went in for simple stuff, like oil change brakes, etc. and got "oh that is Service B. We need to do all of the service A level items then B. If anything else is off we will tell you and may have to move to service C if you choose to." He says "Just change the oil and do a diagnostic." Reply: "That is still A&B service plus diagnostic fee to plug in, yadda yadda yadda." I knew this is what they would do and tried to warn him first, but I guess he just had money to blow. Damn structured plans.

I heard frrom a few people that Boston Sportscar is good for Ferraris, but that they do a lot of other stuff as well and the family that owns it are big Porsche guys, so they handle that as well. That comes from some Ferrarichat guys, I have no way to confirm that. My dad talked to one of their service guys once about Ferrari he was considering buying and going over maintenance costs. They were very nice.
That would also be a drive for you though.

There is also German Motors (independent) up here in Providence, but its the type of shop where you go in for brakes and you will come out with rotors, a water pump, motor mounts, etc. My PO used them and the maintenance he had them do was crazy, but they did good. They mainly do Porsches and Benzes, it is right off the East Side.

I wish finding a P-Car mechanic was as easy as finding my Range Rover mechanic. I use Alan Elliot at Cityside Garage in Holliston. He knows his stuff (only does LR/RR), doesn't BS and is around 85 an hour.

- Mike
Old 06-18-2009, 12:04 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by robG
Thanks for the lead, the website is impressive and it looks like they have quite a bit of experience. The only downside is that it is a solid hour each way from Newport, which makes regular service a bit tricky. I will definitely keep the site bookmarked in the event I can't find a qualified independent shop a bit closer ....
I drive one hour each way for my current mechanic which exclusively handles 928's.

Its the price we have to pay for owning limited production old sports cars but its worth every bit of time/money to have things done right the first time.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:06 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ninefourfour89
In my opinion I wouldn't even go to Inskip. I don't know how often they work on the "old" stuff like ours, I know they still do the usual older 911s & turbos, etc. If I found out they had a real good old school mechaninc I might consider it, but not at the 90-120/hr for labor if a guy is working on C4Ss and GT2/3s all day.
Inskip has one of the best Porsche Master Mechanics in the country....in the top 10, invited to Germany by PAG. He has forgotten more about Porsches than most people could ever hope to learn.

When I bring my cars in there, he is the only one who works on them, I just leave the car for as long as it takes and he does what needs to be done.

A 951 would pose no challenge for him, trust me.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:01 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Finding a good mechanic is tough these days. I have previously used Inskip and Mattie Imports in Fall River, (until Mattie stopped carrying Porsches a few years ago). A few people including a former sales person at Mattie Imports recommended having my car serviced at German Motors in Providence. I believe German Imports has been around for quite some time and has pretty good rep although I do not know about them from first hand experience.

I never had any problems with service at Inskip and I rather liked my former service advisor, I think his name was David Jankowitz. The hourly labor can seem pricey on relatively low tech cars like 944/951s since its not like they are having to work on something thats high tech such as 997Turbo. But I guess they look at it that every hour they work on an older simpler Porsche is an hour they could be working on a high tech modern car so why charge a different rate and lose money. Inskip has been a Porsche dealer since 1983 so they serviced and worked on 944s and 944 Turbos back when they were new. But how many of their current mechanics there regularly see or work on 944s is anybodys guess. I'm sure lots of their original mechanics with experience on these cars have either gone to other dealers, opened their own shops or retired.

I think the most important thing is to find a place you are comfortable with. I currently take one of my cars (not a Porsche) 45- to an hour from where I am because I know these people know how to work on the car. If I took the car to a current dealer most of the people there are too young to have much experience and know the nuances of working on my car.

Best regards,
Dino

P.S. Also replied to your PM
Old 06-18-2009, 02:10 PM
Dino944
Drifting

I heard frrom a few people that Boston Sportscar is good for Ferraris, but that they do a lot of other stuff as well and the family that owns it are big Porsche guys, so they handle that as well. That comes from some Ferrarichat guys, I have no way to confirm that. My dad talked to one of their service guys once about Ferrari he was considering buying and going over maintenance costs. They were very nice.
That would also be a drive for you though.
- Mike
Boston Sportscar seems to have a good rep with some of the Ferrari people if you check in the New England section of Ferrarichat.com. I don't personally know of anyone that has Porsches worked on there but I'm sure they do a good job. However, it would be well over an hour from Newport.

I have a friend that has a 944S2 serviced at a place that I think is on RT 123 in Brockton or Easton, MA but I don't know the name of it. I can try to get in touch with him about actual location, but that would still be about an hour for you driving one way.

Best regards,
Dino
Old 06-18-2009, 03:09 PM
flat12boxer
Racer

Originally Posted by ltc
Inskip has one of the best Porsche Master Mechanics in the country....in the top 10, invited to Germany by PAG. He has forgotten more about Porsches than most people could ever hope to learn.

When I bring my cars in there, he is the only one who works on them, I just leave the car for as long as it takes and he does what needs to be done.

A 951 would pose no challenge for him, trust me.
That is great to know, I never knew that. Is he an older guy? I was there to look at a 930 one day and a mechanic came out from the back to get some parts or invoices for something vintage. He appeared to look very knowledgeable, rather than just someone newer who is 996/997 and up specific because that is what is "current".

Originally Posted by Dino944
Finding a good mechanic is tough these days....I never had any problems with service at Inskip and I rather liked my former service advisor, I think his name was David Jankowitz.........Inskip has been a Porsche dealer since 1983 so they serviced and worked on 944s and 944 Turbos back when they were new. But how many of their current mechanics there regularly see or work on 944s is anybodys guess. I'm sure lots of their original mechanics with experience on these cars have either gone to other dealers, opened their own shops or retired.
David is very nice. I have talked to him on the phone a couple of times, he is very courteous and proper. There is also another older gentleman that used to work in service/records/parts who was very polite and helpful on two occasions when I did a walk in for some small parts and info. He was very happy to see that I was keeping a nice classic in good hands. I never learned his name and don't know if he is still there.

Like dino said, how many of their guys still work on or know how to work on 44/51 etc. Obviously ltc knows 1 guy, but I doubt they have anyone else. I would love to know if they do. At least it makes me feel good if I have to go there for something now. What is his name ltc?

Dino said:"I currently take one of my cars (not a Porsche) 45- to an hour from where I am because I know these people know how to work on the car. If I took the car to a current dealer most of the people there are too young to have much experience and know the nuances of working on my car."

^Exactly why I picked cityside for my range rovers. They an do the stuff that I can't/won't/don't want to do, and they do it right. They are about an hour from me.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:15 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That is great to know, I never knew that.
His name is Pat.

David is very nice. I have talked to him on the phone a couple of times, he is very courteous and proper.
David Jankowski is still around...he is a Moderator here on Rennlist.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:45 PM
robG
Intermediate

Thanks for all the info, I was hoping to find something more local but it appears that it might be worth the drive to Inskip or German Motors. A few years back when I had a 924S I was referred to HP Engineering in Narragansett by a tech inspector for the PCA. It has been a few years since I have been but I was happy with their timing belt work when I was in there last. Will give them a try first then probably see if I can get in touch with German Motors. It is great to hear that Inskip is so well regarded for service, perhaps as time passes I will acquire a car that will be worth their time!

For reference sake, I had tried to contact Bruce Beard in Middletown at the recommendation of someone selling a 944 on Craigslist. I was certainly willing to give them a try based on the recommendation and their website, but have yet to receive a response to the email I sent over. I hope that is not an indication of how they do business ... communication is big when servicing big ticket items.

Thanks again for all the replies, huge help. Any more recommendations are welcome.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:50 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Originally Posted by ltc
His name is Pat.
I wonder how long Pat has been at Inskip? My father bought a new 911 Turbo from Inskip in back in 1987 and they had a tech named Patrick who was fantastic! After Patrick solved a problem on the Turbo that the none of the other techs could figure out, Patrick became the only guy that my father ever let work on his Turbo, until he sold it in 1990. I was just wondering if Pat who is currently at Inskip might be that same tech from years ago. Either way it sounds like Pat or Patrick can work wonders on Porsches both old and new.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:56 PM
emo
AutoX

Default Newport Porsche Mechanics

Rob -
I was surprised no one else mentioned Bruce Beard. I'd be interested in hearing feedback from anyone that has had Porsche repair work done there. Although they're listed as repairing all makes, they specialize in Mercedes Benz and (as I recall) previously focused on German autos.
I've had my '78 911SC in a couple of times - so far so good--though parts seem to be very expensive. They've been good communicators each time--not sure why they didn't respond to you.
Anyone else have any experience there?
Doug
Old 09-23-2009, 02:32 PM
porsche 928 RI
Instructor

His name is Pat Duggan he has been there for if i can remember, 30 years, best around, ask for work done on the side, expect to pay for the knowlage thow
Old 11-06-2009, 02:16 PM
coast928
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Just came across this thread. I can vouch for Inskip Porsche and Pat. They've been servicing my '86.5 928S since I bought it in '91 up until '05 when I moved out of state. Car ran flawlessly and I never had a problem. Yes, you do pay dealership rates but the car was always fixed right the first time. They would also give me a loaner car, a Cayenne or Boxster, until my car was ready for pick-up. Pat would have no problem w/ a 951, 928 or any older model.

-Hey, Porsche 928 RI. I too was from East Greenwich, RI. Born & lived in RI most of my life. Don't miss the snow though, now living in the desert southwest. But I do miss our ocean state.

Quick Reply: RI/SE Mass Posche Mechanics