Notices

I'll bring the wrenches and the beer...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 12:37 AM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'll bring the wrenches and the beer...

I'm getting ready to take the plunge and do my first oil change on my '97 993 C4S. Anyone in the Merrimack Valley area feel like coming over for a good laugh and to lend a hand?

I'm pretty much all thumbs, but decided it was time I learned how to do something other than write checks to our local mechanics (sorry guys). I've read through most of the DIY stuff and it looks fairly painless. I would simply feel more comfortable with someone around that has been there, done that.

I've got the tools, jack, jack stands, heated garage and a bankroll big enough to buy a six pack of your choice. :-)

Any takers? Time and date very negotiable.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:29 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Wish I was in the area to help, but I'm stuck down here in RI. Best of luck, but if it's just a body pan over the normal Carrera change, it's not bad at all. I bought a 10-pack of Mahle filters w/ crush washers on eBay when I bought the car, still working on them now. Hardest part for me is keeping the mess to a minimum when replacing the filter in the engine bay.

Use an open-topped drain bucket, not the ones that have one small hole w/ a plug. Found that out the hard way that the sump releases in a garage- or driveway-soaking WOOOOSH!
Old 03-23-2008, 12:01 AM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 84_Carrera
Wish I was in the area to help, but I'm stuck down here in RI. Best of luck, but if it's just a body pan over the normal Carrera change, it's not bad at all. I bought a 10-pack of Mahle filters w/ crush washers on eBay when I bought the car, still working on them now. Hardest part for me is keeping the mess to a minimum when replacing the filter in the engine bay.

Use an open-topped drain bucket, not the ones that have one small hole w/ a plug. Found that out the hard way that the sump releases in a garage- or driveway-soaking WOOOOSH!
Thanks for the advice. Any more on how to minimize the mess in the engine compartment?
Old 03-23-2008, 10:25 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Ok, looking into it a little, looks like the 993 is significantly different than the 3.2 Carrera. Have you seen this write-up?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...oilchange2.htm
Old 03-24-2008, 12:07 AM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

I have. Thank you very much. Robin has fantastic DIY info on his site. It is actually what inspired me to do it myself. The details are such that even without the experience I feel pretty comfortable taking a go at it.

Thanks again.

John
Old 03-24-2008, 11:28 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

What bothered me was the "6" of 10 rating on difficulty. The oil change on the 3.2L is maybe a 1-2 to me.

If the 993's like my 3.2L, absorbent rags under the filter on the shelf help keep things mostly clean, having the airbox removed allows for easier / cleaner filter removal IMHO. More room to work & quickly tip the unscrewed filter out of there.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:33 PM
hawk14414
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi John -
I just finished my first oil change on my 993. Total time to change the oil - 2 hours. Total time to change the oil, and clean up spilled oil - 3 hours!

Anyway - I'm reasonably local to you, so if you want to give it a go I can lend a hand. I have a lift, if you want to do it w/o jack stands. And - I have a local source for Brad Penn 20w50 for just under $4 a quart.........
Old 04-04-2008, 04:04 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Tom,

That's extremely generous of you. Thank you. PM on the way.

Quick Reply: I'll bring the wrenches and the beer...