Notices

Best route thru NE

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2022 | 01:10 PM
biggreek
Instructor

Default Best route thru NE

Taking a drive up to Manchester, NH, later this week. Coming up from Delaware and I'm taking my 2017 GTS. I've never driven this far north and don't know what to expect as far as road conditons.

What would be the best route up? The Google machine is telling me 95 to 15 to 84 to 290. The other way (to stay away from NYC) is taking 87 to 84 to 290. Or, 87 to 90 to 290.

Thanks in advance!

PS and maybe some things to check out while we're up there. I don't have much time, as it's a quick weekend trip.
Old 07-25-2022 | 01:32 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

The main thing would be to plan your trip to avoid NYC rush hour. My only real suggestion would be the Merritt Parkway in CT versus 95.

You should wake up early and hit the Kancamagus Highway; it is about 90 minutes north of Manchester.

In terms of what to check out specifically in Manchester, NH... I don't have any first-hand experience, but have heard really good things about the hard drugs

P.S. I am only sort of kidding about Manchester, so be careful where you park your car.
The following users liked this post:
biggreek (07-25-2022)
Old 07-25-2022 | 01:50 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Ah, the Kancamagus! Awesome!

Are you looking to make good time or find some good roads to take along the way? If choice B, then you can consider I-287 towards Sloatsburg, heading towards Greenwood lake. There are many good driving roads around there. Then make your way to I-84 to head east to NH.
Old 07-25-2022 | 01:54 PM
biggreek
Instructor

Oh yea, I know about NYC all too well. Hence why I want to avoid their roads. I'm driving up late at night, so rush hour is out the window anyways.

Hopefully the hotels permit only parking would be sufficient, but we'll see.

Meth....how else are people going to stay awake? 😂
Old 07-25-2022 | 01:55 PM
biggreek
Instructor

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
Ah, the Kancamagus! Awesome!

Are you looking to make good time or find some good roads to take along the way? If choice B, then you can consider I-287 towards Sloatsburg, heading towards Greenwood lake. There are many good driving roads around there. Then make your way to I-84 to head east to NH.
Good time on the way up, I think we can relax on Sunday and take our time coming back.
Old 07-28-2022 | 04:51 AM
The Fat Kid
Pro

I just realized you could take a ride up to NHMS in Loudon and check out the Northeast Motorcycle Road Racing (https://nemrr.com) event. I will be there for a track day on Friday.

I might be back there on Sunday for a memorial ride, and would probably be at NHMS around 11AM/12PM: https://www.souheganvalleymotorsport...ry=RIDE+w/+SVM

I can get you a schedule and tell you where to spectate if you are interested. It is pretty cool if you have never seen motorcycle racing in person.
biggreek (07-28-2022)
Old 07-28-2022 | 09:14 AM
SSDVC
Rennlist Member

Jersey Turnpike to Garden State Parkway to 287. After the Tappan Zee Bridge I usually hop on the Sawmill River Parkway, grab 684 to 84, to 90, to 290 to 495 to 93 into Manchester. Depending on where in DE you are, the trip should take about 7-8 hours. If you leave around 8am, you should clear the major hubs along the way after and before rush hour. During the summer, 495 can get a little busy later in the afternoon.

And while your up there, check out the Kancamangus Hwy, Conway, NH EARLY in the morning. It is a beautiful drive (the whole area is) when traffic is lighter !
biggreek (07-28-2022)
Old 07-28-2022 | 10:20 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Oh man, does this thread have me wanting to take a road trip! And I'll be in Boston next month too, but I don't think I'll be taking the Cayman when moving my son into college
biggreek (07-28-2022)
Old 07-28-2022 | 01:55 PM
biggreek
Instructor

Originally Posted by The Fat Kid
I just realized you could take a ride up to NHMS in Loudon and check out the Northeast Motorcycle Road Racing (https://nemrr.com) event. I will be there for a track day on Friday.

I might be back there on Sunday for a memorial ride, and would probably be at NHMS around 11AM/12PM: https://www.souheganvalleymotorsport...ry=RIDE+w/+SVM

I can get you a schedule and tell you where to spectate if you are interested. It is pretty cool if you have never seen motorcycle racing in person.
Sounds interesting. I haven't and would like to. We're going up there for a wedding, so I don't know our EXACT plans. But I'll take a schedule. Thanks.

Originally Posted by SSDVC
Jersey Turnpike to Garden State Parkway to 287. After the Tappan Zee Bridge I usually hop on the Sawmill River Parkway, grab 684 to 84, to 90, to 290 to 495 to 93 into Manchester. Depending on where in DE you are, the trip should take about 7-8 hours. If you leave around 8am, you should clear the major hubs along the way after and before rush hour. During the summer, 495 can get a little busy later in the afternoon.

And while your up there, check out the Kancamangus Hwy, Conway, NH EARLY in the morning. It is a beautiful drive (the whole area is) when traffic is lighter !
Yea, I've looked at going up to the Kancamangus, we'll look at our timeline and see. I'm leaving in the early evening on Friday, so I won't have traffic anyways....atleast I hope.
Old 07-28-2022 | 04:14 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Originally Posted by biggreek
Sounds interesting. I haven't and would like to. We're going up there for a wedding, so I don't know our EXACT plans. But I'll take a schedule. Thanks.

Yea, I've looked at going up to the Kancamangus, we'll look at our timeline and see. I'm leaving in the early evening on Friday, so I won't have traffic anyways....atleast I hope.
Oh, definitely hit the Kanc early if you go. It is an amazing road without traffic, but you can easily get caught behind a train of cars creeping along.

Turns out there is no official schedule of races/times, or at least none of the racers I asked has one The general format is practice in the morning and then races start after lunch, so early to mid-afternoon would be the time to check it out.

^Those are probably the best places for spectating. A. There is a platform where you get a good view of T1-2 and that is where you have a lot of action at the start of the race; B. There are bleachers right next to the braking zone for T3; C. You would just stop there on the way in or out, but has a good view of T6; D. We have access to a platform on the other side of the fence on track days, which is a great view of 11/12, but not sure you would have access at a race; E. The access point for the track and the front straight.

You can also drive left (based on orientation of this map) from "C" around the outside of the track and park up on the hill above T11, but kind of "meh".
Old 08-04-2022 | 09:31 AM
biggreek
Instructor

So, time was a little against us. Leaving later than we wanted. Took NJTP to GSP, across the Tappan Zee Bridge, to 95, 91 to 84, 90 to 495, then up. Took around 7hrs with stops, not too bad.

On the way back, Sunday, we did end up going to Conway, west on the Kanc. Beautiful drive. Then continued on 112 into Vermont and 91 all the way south to 84, back across the Tappan Zee. That was a long journey, but well worth it. Left 1030 am from Manchester, pulled in the driveway at 11 exactly. The 991 did amazing.

Thanks guys for the advice! Can't wait to go back up and spend more quality time in the area.

And ofcourse, I'm the big dummy who didn't take any pictures of the drive or the car, scenicly.
AdamIsAdam (08-04-2022)

Quick Reply: Best route thru NE