Notices
Macan 2014-Current

macan on track?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 12:55 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

I've driven a Macan Turbo with performance pack on track. It's heavy and will put a toll on the brakes and tires. You would want to run a track brake pad (if they are available) and a high temp brake fluid.
Why not run your GTS? That would be more fun.

From the standpoint of reliability I would be worried about the transmission, it's an Audi DSG that Porsche fitted with new software. It's not the regular PDK that's found in the cars. Audi runs the tiptronic in the Q5/SQ5, so you can't draw any conclusions from those models.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:43 AM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 133 Posts

I have done both AutoX and a few track sessions in my Macan GTS. Honestly it's lot like a golf R. Not quite as point and shoot since there's rear bias on the GTS but it works. However! Could you be interested in an E63 estate? You'll get more usable room/cargo than you will in the macan and it will go like hell.

Old 03-27-2019, 11:45 AM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

Last night after taking wife to get her hair done, I saw two younger guys dropping their wives off at same salon. They obviously knew each other, one in an older 911 turbo (late 90s) and the other in an A6. They took off out of the parking lot trying to slide the back out and so I hunted them down in my Macan S. They couldnt shake me. We had some fun on the suburban streets. They were shocked to see the old folks in the loud *** SUV driving like them... "Boys I was tearing these streets up before you were born"... LOL. (because science)
Old 03-27-2019, 08:15 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Using a Macan for track duty may well depend on where you live and what track/s you may run on. Sadly, VIR does not allow SUV's of any make on track. If any doubt check beforehand.
Bingo, I was thinking about the same thing with regard to VIR while reading this thread.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:47 AM
MattUF
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Following..thinking about doing Harris Hill in my Macan S w/ a Cobb tune in a month or so.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:19 AM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

Honestly it's lot like a golf R.
Our daily drivers were 2010 and 2012 GTIs. We swapped them for Macan S and BMW 550ix then after driving her Macan S I swapped the 550 for a Macan S

So now we have two Macan S'

I agree, they drive alot like a GTI. I always said they look like one too.
Old 03-29-2019, 05:19 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,871 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B
I've driven a Macan Turbo with performance pack on track. It's heavy and will put a toll on the brakes and tires. You would want to run a track brake pad (if they are available) and a high temp brake fluid.
Why not run your GTS? That would be more fun.

From the standpoint of reliability I would be worried about the transmission, it's an Audi DSG that Porsche fitted with new software. It's not the regular PDK that's found in the cars. Audi runs the tiptronic in the Q5/SQ5, so you can't draw any conclusions from those models.
Thanks for the input!!!

I've tracked my Cayman GTS before, but it is getting replaced with a Boxster Spyder shortly (which I intend to use only on the street)

Want to get a Macan S to replace my 991.2 as a daily driver, but want to be able to track it until I decide what ACTUAL track car I want (thinking along the lines of a Radical, Atom, etc)

Wonder if an extra/higher capacity trans cooler on a Macan S would be a good idea given the above info...
Old 03-29-2019, 05:20 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blacksheepSpyder
Our daily drivers were 2010 and 2012 GTIs. We swapped them for Macan S and BMW 550ix then after driving her Macan S I swapped the 550 for a Macan S

So now we have two Macan S'

I agree, they drive alot like a GTI. I always said they look like one too.
This is literally the setup I am considering...my 991.2 and my wife's Grand Cherokee need to be replaced around the same time, and I feel like a 2x Macan S is a great setup
Old 03-29-2019, 05:21 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Bingo, I was thinking about the same thing with regard to VIR while reading this thread.
Will have to investigate at my local Chicagoland tracks...
Old 03-29-2019, 05:40 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

I’ve taken my Macan GTS to autoX. It’s like a boat out there. Note really fun on a track, IMO. It is better for hauling bikes and camping. Even on the road, it
Is very bouncy compared to my Sports cars.

It is an SUV, nothing even close to a sports car. Never understood people who compare it to a 911. On the other hand, I do own a 987 and 718..still haven’t been lured by the 911 bug...maybe because it feels like a Macan.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:03 PM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

I replaced an 06 Cayman S and an 08 Golf R with my 16 Macan S. If the first two cars mated, the Macan S would be their offspring. It is a really hard car to pigeon hole. It’s obviously not a sports car, but the handling is absolutely shocking for a car this size/height/weight.

Inhad the the opportunity to drive a base Macan and a GTS during a local dealer’s track day hosted by PCNA at LRP. Follow me laps in the GTS were a bit disappointing as I was stuck behind 1st time track drivers. I could definitely feel the suspension improvements over my S. My time in the base, however, I was immediately behind the instructor who was in a GTS. The base gave up a LOT in cornering to the GTS, but in this context, it made for one of the most entertaining track laps out of any car I’ve driven. The instructor was game and didn’t worry about the growing gap between us and the followers and, literally laughing the whole way, we went full tilt boogie all the way round.

*Many* cars could have gotten around quicker, but for sheer entertainment value, it would be hard to beat.

For all that, I ordered a 911 GTS specifically to play with on the track. The local PCA chapter doesn’t permit Macans for HPDE and I’m not sure I’d want to be the moving chicane in any run group with it regardless.

It would definitely benefit from proper tires and pads if you go for it. PASM would likely also be a good idea. My car has 40k miles and, granted not track time, it’s been remarkably reliable even without me babying it (at all).

Pipe dream for me would be auto-x in the snow with it. *That* would likely be amazing!
Old 03-29-2019, 07:00 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Semitone
..still haven’t been lured by the 911 bug...maybe because it feels like a Macan.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:14 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

LOL for real...odd comment
Old 03-30-2019, 01:55 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Semitone
still haven’t been lured by the 911 bug...maybe because it feels like a Macan.
Well there's nothing that drives like a 911 on track, the rear weight basis makes it special. The Macan if anything can feel more balanced like the Cayman. But it still has a slightly forward balance so at the edge it likes to push a bit. A 911 on the other hand you can toss it into a corner, get on the gas to swing the rear and turn the car quicker.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:52 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Planning on doing a de event in June at thunderhill. Have a 2018 Macan gts. Car has maybe 1700 miles on odom. Don't really drive much. Stock brakes/pads and all season tires. What are the expectations as stock? It's a 2 day event. Just doing this out of curiosity. Thanks. Will stock pads etc lasts for 2 days?

Quick Reply: macan on track?