Switch from Cayenne S?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 06:50 PM
Jafetica888
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switch from Cayenne S?

Hi guys

big fan of Porsche and recently switched from 997S Cab to a Panamera GTS (the kids wanted more space), but now feel that the wife's Cayenne S is getting a bit dated.

We are contemplating a Macan and would love to have your thoughts on the following:
  • GTS or Turbo?
  • what are the must-have options that should be on every Macan
  • what are the options you wish to have, but are not 'critical' (in apostrophies as nothing about owning a Porsche is critical, a Toyota can also get you nicely from A to B )
  • any features you would recommend to skip, are not that great
  • other thoughts?

Appreciate your help
Old 11-17-2016, 11:03 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Jafetica888
Hi guys

big fan of Porsche and recently switched from 997S Cab to a Panamera GTS (the kids wanted more space), but now feel that the wife's Cayenne S is getting a bit dated.

We are contemplating a Macan and would love to have your thoughts on the following:
  • GTS or Turbo?
  • what are the must-have options that should be on every Macan
  • what are the options you wish to have, but are not 'critical' (in apostrophies as nothing about owning a Porsche is critical, a Toyota can also get you nicely from A to B )
  • any features you would recommend to skip, are not that great
  • other thoughts?

Appreciate your help
*GTS is optimal. If you really crave more horsepower and acceleration, then the ultimate is the Turbo with performance package. But otherwise, the GTS has plenty acceleration, and has all the handling enhancements you need.
*A must have option is PDCC. With it, along with air suspension, the Macan has an amazingly compliant ride and yet corners with almost no body roll. Pretty much everything else is budget and taste.
*There is some debate over the pano roof. I love it. Others say they would rather have the extra headroom and avoid the added weight, which being at the top of the car, raises the center of gravity and negatively affects handling. Be advised that at least according to dealers, a car lacking the pano roof is harder to re-sell as a used car.
*I have CarPlay and Connect Plus. I only recently got a SIM card for it and still haven't activated it (dealer forgot to when delivering car in U.S. after Euro delivery). I don't miss it. CarPlay is cool, but requires you to plug in your phone, so I don't use it except on long trips where it's worth the hassle of physically plugging it in and remembering to take it with you. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but if you removed those features I wouldn't miss them. I do have nav, and think that it's useful. Plugging a phone into your air vents to use it for navigation to me looks tacky in such a nice car and it's a hassle to plug and unplug it (if you use Waze in particular you will drain your phone battery quickly if you don't plug it in to power). To me, the Bose stereo is worth it. I might even consider a Burmester system but don't think it was offered.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:43 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi,

It's an interesting question and a one which I was pondering a few moths ago. My Cayenne S (4.2 Diesel) is coming up to 2 years old in January and I know there's an all new model coming out later next year but the pull of the Macan Turbo with the Performance Package proved too strong, so that comes along in April.

I really love my Cayenne S it's fast and frugal with terrific torque and does everything well so I'll be very sorry to see it go. But I am looking forward to having something slightly smaller with a lot of umph again for everyday.

I've ordered my Turbo Performance in Volcano Grey with red and black leather interior, heated adaptive sports seats and several other bits and bobs. Including the panoramic sunroof as I think the rake of the roof limits the headroom in the rear and it might get a little claustrophobic for rear passengers on a long journey.

I looked at the GTS which is a great car but if you are thinking about a Turbo now, you might regret not getting one later if you want that bit extra.

Anyway here are a few renderings of the exact car as ordered courtesy of the Porsche build your own configurator on their website.

Let me know how you get on.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 11-24-2016, 12:15 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul284pt
Hi,

It's an interesting question and a one which I was pondering a few moths ago. My Cayenne S (4.2 Diesel) is coming up to 2 years old in January and I know there's an all new model coming out later next year but the pull of the Macan Turbo with the Performance Package proved too strong, so that comes along in April.

I really love my Cayenne S it's fast and frugal with terrific torque and does everything well so I'll be very sorry to see it go. But I am looking forward to having something slightly smaller with a lot of umph again for everyday.

I've ordered my Turbo Performance in Volcano Grey with red and black leather interior, heated adaptive sports seats and several other bits and bobs. Including the panoramic sunroof as I think the rake of the roof limits the headroom in the rear and it might get a little claustrophobic for rear passengers on a long journey.

I looked at the GTS which is a great car but if you are thinking about a Turbo now, you might regret not getting one later if you want that bit extra.

Anyway here are a few renderings of the exact car as ordered courtesy of the Porsche build your own configurator on their website.

Let me know how you get on.

Good luck,
Paul
Very nice looking...impressive! Enjoy her.

Quick Reply: Switch from Cayenne S?