Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Cayenne Diesel to Macan S - Major differences?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 04:12 PM
Cowboys5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne Diesel to Macan S - Major differences?

Thinking about downsizing the CD (which I absolutely love) to a Macan S, particularly since its looking like diesel owners will get a buy back option soon. I have already test driven the Macan 4 cylinder, and honestly found it lacking in power and uninspiring. I haven't driven the S yet though, so I'm wondering if anyone here went from a CD to a Macan S, and if so, your observations (positive and negative) on the differences. Thx.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:02 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Might not be exactly what you are looking for, but we have had a base V-6 Cayenne for just over 5 years and 197,000 km.
Picked up a Macan GTS this summer in Leipzig and now have almost 5,000 km on her.

The Macan feels more sporty and is head and shoulders more fun to drive than the Cayenne.
The Cayenne has more space in the cargo area and rear seats.
The upgrade of technology which has occurred (and is likely available on the current Cayenne) was excellent! Love Apple Car play and surround cameras, active safe cruise control, etc on the Macan.

We now have both the Cayenne and Macan - If I have a choice of which to take on any journey, I take the Macan.
Unfortunately it is also my wife's first choice, so I get the Cayenne most of the time.
Which isn't so terrible though
Old 11-01-2016, 11:03 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

You should try the Macan Turbo and see if you prefer it. I have lusted after the CD for the torque, did not like the Macan S, and have recently driven a friend's Macan Turbo. When I buy one, it will be the Macan Turbo.
Old 11-02-2016, 01:09 PM
986Prozet
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The PDK makes the biggest difference in the feel of that vehicle. In terms of cabin space the front seats feel pretty similar, you really notice a big difference in size when it comes to rear seat comfort. Like other stated I would suggest trying the Turbo and the S. The extra .6 liter makes a big difference.
Old 11-02-2016, 02:24 PM
Cowboys5
Instructor

Thx for all the responses - very helpful. Unfortunately the turbo is out of my snack bracket price wise, so my focus is on the S. I am definitely looking for something more sporty, but didn't get that feel at all from the 4 cylinder Macan. In fact, it was rather boring after being used to the CD torque. I guess I'll have to drive the S and see for myself, but based on what I've read, sounds promising.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:28 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,121 Likes on 458 Posts

I DD my Macan S. My wife's DD is Cayenne diesel. The Macan is sportier, sit a lot lower driver seat. Despite what others may say, it's not fast, it's not a sports car- anyone who says that has never driven a 911. That being said, it's a great errand runner and highway traveler. Seems more solid and much more quiet then the CD. Definitely smaller, though so I routinely putting kids or traveling with a lot of stuff, then it's not ideal. For me the Macan is perfect though...can drive it comfortably to work, occasionally pick up the kids and put their school/sports crap in it. But for trips and things use the Suburban.

In my opinion though, Macan S is much better daily if space isn't an issue.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:59 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I have a 2006 Cayenne TTS, great all around car. My wife has a Macan S- for two people it's great vehicle, more than that and it gets small. I'd personally much rather drive the Macan if I don't need the space or towing capability.
Phil
Old 11-23-2016, 01:00 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 789 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowboys5
Thx for all the responses - very helpful. Unfortunately the turbo is out of my snack bracket price wise, so my focus is on the S. I am definitely looking for something more sporty, but didn't get that feel at all from the 4 cylinder Macan. In fact, it was rather boring after being used to the CD torque. I guess I'll have to drive the S and see for myself, but based on what I've read, sounds promising.
Had a Macan base (4 cyl) as a loaner recently and its a nice car..but you need to get used to the space. It is smaller and while it gets going..you will have to get on it to get going a bit. Really didn't notice that much in daily traffic though just had to put it in sport mode. Currently have an M3 as my DD and when the lease is up I am considering going into an SUV at that time and the Macan is still on my list but it must be either an S or GTS or maybe a Turbo and I will cross shop it with the F-Pace S and possibly the Range Rover Sport if I go larger. We have a 2016 Cayenne v6 which works great for wifey and when we need to haul stuff and need the space. So best of both worlds to a degree. It is smaller compared to the Cayenne tho but interior space as a driver isn't bad....
Attached Images   

Last edited by mdrobc1213; 11-23-2016 at 11:45 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:42 PM
Cowboys5
Instructor

Interesting. I think the size will be OK for me, but its the lack of get up and go in the 4 cyl that I found disappointing. I'm also considering the F-Pace, along with the MB GLC 300 . I like the looks of the 300 and reviews have been good, but there has always been something (not sure what) that has kept me from owning a Merc. I've owned every other brand of German vehicle - except Merc. Maybe its time!

Quick Reply: Cayenne Diesel to Macan S - Major differences?