Macan 2014-Current

Should I buy a Macan??

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 12:35 PM
clemsondds
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Should I buy a Macan??

Ok guys, I need your thoughts. I have a bmw 435i Gran coupe and am getting close to the end of my lease (next summer). I have several cars I am looking at but none that I am ecstatic about. I have always been obsessed with Porsche and would love one; the 911 isn't really a practical option for me right now since I really need 4 door, and I am not a huge fan of the panamera (too big). I have heard that the Macan S and Turbo drive much more like a 911 than an SUV. So I am really intrigued. I am all about how a car handles in the curves and not as big on 0-60. I was able to do a very short test drive in a base Macan...but the salesperson wouldn't stop talking and asked me 1000 questions, so I don't really remember much about the ride. He did mention that the base model drives vastly different than the S and Turbo models, but unfortunately they don't have either for me to drive. So my question is: is the Macan turbo in the same league as an M3/4? Would you choose your Macan again over an M3? I don't absolutely love the looks of the Macan but if the performance is that outstanding, then that can easily be overlooked. Finally, what other vehicle were you deciding between when you chose the Macan? Thank you again for your time and thoughts.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:03 PM
Cherryblock
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 76 Posts

Totally different experience vs. an M3-M4 and no the Macan is not a 911, having said that I have owned every current Porsche model made today and the Macan GTS is a blast and a perfect "Sport" UV. I have included the link from my posting but if you are looking for an every day DD that can haul stuff around and has a proper driving experience the Macan GTS or Turbo will deliver.

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...macan-gts.html

Good Luck with your search!
Old 10-11-2016, 02:23 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 559 Likes on 308 Posts

Watch these two videos then find another dealer (if possible) to test drive:

Old 10-11-2016, 02:31 PM
clemsondds
Rennlist Member

Thanks! Yeh those videos are what got me interested in the Macan in the first place ha. I just wanted to hear from owners why they love their Macan so much. Anyone take it to the mountains and hit the twisting turns? Is it good in the curves?
Old 10-12-2016, 01:20 AM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Second what Cherryblock says. An M3 is a completely different experience. I've owned 3 boxsters, and currently have a cayenne. I also frequently drive a cayman, 911, and a macan S a good friend owns. We have been test driving the macan gts a lot and it drives much more 'like' a cayman than a cayenne. It won't over power you but it is very precise and easy to drive.
I've driven a 2016 cayenne gts and a 2016 macan gts very fast on a back road with many twisties. The macan was so easy to go fast through corners, it carves with ease. I must say though i enjoyed the challenge of the cayenne gts more, it takes in my view a little more skill to keep pace with the macan.
I did ride with my buddy in the macan base, from the passenger seat it felt like the macan S however I couldn't handle the sound of the 4 banger screaming. I actually opted out of driving it.
Find a dealer that will let you take a good 20 minute right at least. And if they'll let you go alone it is best. My dealer lets us take out whatever we want, but then we have bought 7 cars combined from them.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:23 AM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts

You're asking on a pro-Porsche board, so you should expect a certain bias. You can see from my .sig I used to be a BMW guy but now I'm a Porsche guy. Maybe that carries some weight or maybe it doesn't.

What has always sold me on p-cars are the subtleties that don't show up on the stats magazines quote or internet videos tout. Numbers never sold me.

I knew I wanted to buy my first Boxster 20 seconds into the first test drive on January 22, 2005 (the first day the 987s went on sale). I wasn't even behind the wheel and I knew I wanted it. The drive back to the dealership just cemented the deal. One guy took a drive before I could wrestle the keys away and take mine home.

Some models have magic.

If you feel the alchemy, then do it.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:40 AM
clemsondds
Rennlist Member

So what is it about your macan turbo that you love? How does it compare to other cars (m3, carrera...)
I'm just trying to hear from owners what they think. I have been really surprised from M3 owners that most are not going back to an M3 after their lease is up...just curious if that's the same for macans...I'm guessing it's not. I just want to know if Macan turbo owners love the cars and if so, then what is it they love. Thanks
Old 10-12-2016, 12:41 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

I haven't driven a recent M3 but had an e39 M5 and later an e46 M3. Our Macan GTS is not like either of those cars in that it manages to ride much better and surprisingly, handle about the same. There is more body roll but the grip is very good and it understeers less than the BMWs in stock form (I eventually added camber plates and a set of rear size wheels and tires up front on the M5 to counter the understeer). It's not exactly a big 911 but certainly satisfying to drive. I've not tracked it and don't intend to, but on curvy roads it is very quick and the cornering limits are high. I didn't really compare it against any sedans as we wanted the utility of a small SUV. The only thing that came close was a Range Rover Sport, but it was bigger.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:46 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

I can't speak for every BMW owner, but for me there are two major reasons I left the brand. First, at least around here in Houston, the quality of the customer service went to hell. For instance, If I take my car in for service under warranty, I should get a loaner car not a voucher for a taxi. Second, and more importantly, BMWs were becoming less and less enjoyable to drive. They put too much focus and trust on their engineers and software designers than they did on their drivers. Sure they posted better and better numbers in magazines and reviews, but they became more and more sterile when you drive them.

My Porsches, on the other hand, always put a smile on my face and the Macan is no different. If you see me get out of this car, I've probably got a big grin on my face. Look at the video reviews of the Macan and you'll see a smile on the face of just about every one who drives it.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:08 AM
clemsondds
Rennlist Member

Thank you! What would you compare the body roll to?
Old 10-13-2016, 07:16 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Body roll? Well it is still a 2 ton SUV, even if it seems to defy physics. How much roll you get will depend on the suspension option you choose. I have the Air Suspension with PASM, and body roll is minimal. For the category, you could call it non-existent. It's still more than my Boxster was after I put PSS9's and other goodies on it -- that car cornered flat through every turn at Road Atlanta. But for a street car, I'd call it zero body roll.

If you watch the Fifth Gear review of the Macan, they remarked how it corned like a "touring car" (a track prepped car). It was stiff enough to pick up its inside wheels under hard cornering, something they didn't expect from an SUV. You could knock it for not matching their expectations for an SUV, but I like it for being more "Sport" than "Utility Vehicle".

It's unfortunate that you don't have more examples to drive. I was lucky; there were a variety of launch specs to try out before I settled on the specs for mine. The rule of thumb I've learned is the "S" version is the factory's ideal for the model. Those are the ones that have the Porsche magic. Specs above that, GTS/Turbo, add some gusto but to savor them you have to understand the "S" models first. I've had the base models as loaners and they all seem to lack the "fizzy feeling" in the pants as James May would call it.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:59 PM
hsv-dan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a new Macan S owner moving from an E92 M3 (with the sweet V8), I can agree that these are completely different cars, as you should expect. The S has plenty of go when you ask for it, but it is not going to impress on cornering on your daily drive if an M3 or 911 is your reference. I suspect the upgraded suspension options would help considerably. The Macan is a wonderfully comfortable quiet ride and the PDK tuning makes my M3 DCT feel quite rough. One thing I notice is the turbo lag is very apparent compared to the 335 coupe I had before.

My wife drives an 04 Cayenne S and she pushed hard for the Macan S. I started at the Audi Q5, then the base Macan, finally settling on the S. (It's hard to live with a woman like this, I'm surprised she didn't get me in the turbo) My move from the M3 is my decision to bow out of the track events and get something more suited to my short commute and for giving the Cayenne a rest from all of the traveling duties. The tough part is deciding to sell the M3 or to keep it for that occasional adrenaline rush that an SUV just will not provide.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:48 PM
oslermarine
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I can probably give you some insight into the m3 vs Macan question. I had a 2016 F80 M3, my issues with it were, it felt big and heavy, sound of exhaust was horrible, it couldn't put down all the power effectively. I traded it in for a GT4 which was awesome! Beast of a car but obviously more of a weekend toy. Time came to look for a more suitable daily fun driving car that can carve up some mountain roads. I happened upon a Macan GTS while talking to a dealer and decided what the hell lets go for a test drive. I never looked at a Macan seriously before because I figured it is an suv and hell I could get one from BMW or Mercedes for cheaper. I thought it drives like all the other luxury suv out there.....COMPLETELY WRONG. This car blew me away, yes it's heavy at 4000lbs but Jesus it hides the weight well. It is not a 911 or cayman because those cars weigh 1000lbs less, are lower, and are designed as sports cars for the track minded or spirited driving crowd. However, the Macan definitely blends that mantra into the mix, it has minimal body roll and feels very planted on the road, I was taking corners very aggressively too driving it like I drive my gt4. Take into account though I drove the Macan GTS which has PASM standard and is lower by 15mm than the S. I ordered a GTS within a week and specd it with PTV for even more handling improvement. The reviews out there are true, this car is unbelievable for the segment it's in. I recommend you go for the GTS because of the improvements it has over the base and standard Macan. I would never go back to the current generation m3 or m4, maybe a e92 or e46 down the line. Drive a Macan GTS this weekend and you'll be all smiles, then go to a bmw dealer and drive a m3 and m4 and see if you get the same smile.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:14 AM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Sorry to be so off, but unless you really need a SUV, you might wa by to take a look at the new Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio, which is more in line with M3/M4 and C63. I have no idea about reliability, but I guess pricing will be competitive. There is a good thread about it here on RL. I know most people will disagree with me, but if I needed a car to replace a 4 series or some thing similar, I would at least explore the AR venue. Good luck
Old 10-16-2016, 10:10 PM
clemsondds
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by oslermarine
I can probably give you some insight into the m3 vs Macan question. I had a 2016 F80 M3, my issues with it were, it felt big and heavy, sound of exhaust was horrible, it couldn't put down all the power effectively. I traded it in for a GT4 which was awesome! Beast of a car but obviously more of a weekend toy. Time came to look for a more suitable daily fun driving car that can carve up some mountain roads. I happened upon a Macan GTS while talking to a dealer and decided what the hell lets go for a test drive. I never looked at a Macan seriously before because I figured it is an suv and hell I could get one from BMW or Mercedes for cheaper. I thought it drives like all the other luxury suv out there.....COMPLETELY WRONG. This car blew me away, yes it's heavy at 4000lbs but Jesus it hides the weight well. It is not a 911 or cayman because those cars weigh 1000lbs less, are lower, and are designed as sports cars for the track minded or spirited driving crowd. However, the Macan definitely blends that mantra into the mix, it has minimal body roll and feels very planted on the road, I was taking corners very aggressively too driving it like I drive my gt4. Take into account though I drove the Macan GTS which has PASM standard and is lower by 15mm than the S. I ordered a GTS within a week and specd it with PTV for even more handling improvement. The reviews out there are true, this car is unbelievable for the segment it's in. I recommend you go for the GTS because of the improvements it has over the base and standard Macan. I would never go back to the current generation m3 or m4, maybe a e92 or e46 down the line. Drive a Macan GTS this weekend and you'll be all smiles, then go to a bmw dealer and drive a m3 and m4 and see if you get the same smile.
That's great help! Thank you! I too am annoyed at the exaust sound of the M3. Well thank you again for your thoughts. Any other thoughts? Also, great point about the Guilia. Definitely on my radar. How about Macan Turbo owners?

Quick Reply: Should I buy a Macan??