Macan 2014-Current

Should I buy a Macan??

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 04:15 PM
Propofoln
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by clemsondds
That's great help! Thank you! I too am annoyed at the exaust sound of the M3. Well thank you again for your thoughts. Any other thoughts? Also, great point about the Guilia. Definitely on my radar. How about Macan Turbo owners?
i went from a 2014 M5 with competition pack to a 2015 Macan Turbo in August. I agree what everyone has said above. My main issue with the M5 is all the traction issues. It has way too much power for 2 wheels. I wanted AWD, and honestly after the M5, I will never own a RWD car again. So sick of the traction light on the dash going off with every turn and launch, killing the power to the rear wheels. I have also turned my M5 sideways a few times on some local roads flooring it from 40 mph. Just too much power for 2 wheels.

As as for the Macan, if you can afford it, the Turbo with the Racechip (gives an extra 80hp) is the way to go, or one with the performance pack. I love power, and he Turbo after he Racechip is fast. Just as fast as my M5 0-60 (assuming perfect M5 launch, which is nearly impossible- so the Turbo beats it every time). As far as build quality, it blows my BMW away. The fit and finish of my interior are stunning. Driving the Macan is comfortable, planted, and thrilling. It corners and handles better than my M5 boat. I still have 6 months on my M5 lease and it's sitting in the front so the Macan can have the garage spot, and I never want to drive the M5 anymore. The electronics aren't as good as I-drive, but I don't care. The driving experience is that much better. My Macan Turbo has every option except CCB, so that might taint my view of a low specced Macan. Mine has sport chrono, PTV, burmester, every leather option (even air vents) etc. I got a smoking deal because it was a Porsche exclusive demo
Old 10-18-2016, 11:48 PM
evil panda
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 73 Posts

I cross shopped the F80 M3 and the Macan Turbo. I didn't intend to, but I had every intention of buying the M3 (I have a well loved E90) but just...didn't like it. It just felt sterile, heavy, and I hated the sounds it made and the numb steering. So my wife slyly suggested we look at the Turbo while my GT3 was in service and the rest was history. The one thing I would say is a must, to get the macan closer to the feel of a sports sedan, is to get the air suspension/pasm option
Old 10-21-2016, 04:31 PM
aeGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

br911

"Sorry to be so off, but unless you really need a SUV, you might wa by to take a look at the new Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio, which is more in line with M3/M4 and C63. I have no idea about reliability, but I guess pricing will be competitive. There is a good thread about it here on RL. I know most people will disagree with me, but if I needed a car to replace a 4 series or some thing similar, I would at least explore the AR venue. Good luck"

Very interesting sport sedan: a remarkable machine (performance wise; don't know about the reliability, as you said): 2.9 L twin-turbo V6 (claimed to be derived or inspired by Ferrari), 503 HP, and I believe the second fastest 4-door sedan at the RING (the first: the new Porsche Panamera turbo S, what else?). I did not wish to hijack this thread, but apparently most participants here are comparing BMW M3/M4 with Macan.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:41 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by aeGT3
br911
I did not wish to hijack this thread, but apparently most participants here are comparing BMW M3/M4 with Macan.
We're not doing it to bash or dismiss BMWs; we're making that comparison because clemsondds asked us to. He's coming from a BMW and specifically mentioned M3/M4s as his point of reference. Presumably he's considering buying one of those instead of a Macan.

I got interested in this thread because I used to be a big fan of BMWs (btw //M-School was way better than PSDS if you're into factory sponsored driving schools). I've obviously switched loyalties; maybe my reason for that could be helpful.
Old 10-30-2016, 04:57 PM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hm, in my book, the Macan is just a SUV, though a very sportive one. Without me owning a GT4, I would take the M3 over the Macan every day... the Macan untersteers like hell and is nowhere near the 911 in the handling department.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:22 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Sven76
Hm, in my book, the Macan is just a SUV, though a very sportive one. Without me owning a GT4, I would take the M3 over the Macan every day... the Macan untersteers like hell and is nowhere near the 911 in the handling department.
Maybe in standard trim, but it's amazingly neutral in GTS trim. That said, it's still no 911.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:44 AM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 548 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Sven76
The M4 barely beat the Macan Turbo around a track.

Quick Reply: Should I buy a Macan??